Windows 10: Can I use Windows 10 key to downgrade to Windows 7?

Discus and support Can I use Windows 10 key to downgrade to Windows 7? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last year Microsoft updated to laptop to Windows 10 without my permission. It completely screwed it up. I have since switched to a Chromebook for most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JenniferPinkley, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Can I use Windows 10 key to downgrade to Windows 7?

Last year Microsoft updated to laptop to Windows 10 without my permission. It completely screwed it up. I have since switched to a Chromebook for most of my daily needs, but i still have a couple programs that only run on Windows. I didn't get installation disks with my laptop and don't have any record of my product key, but found an app that shows me my product ID, key, OEM key, and OEM edition. Obviously my edition is now Windows 10.

Since i initially purchased Windows 7, can I use the key to downgrade to/reinstall Windows 7?

Please, no comments about security issues, etc., I just need a functional laptop.

:)

JenniferPinkley, Dec 18, 2018

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 18, 2018
  3. ironwolf Win User
    Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Two quick ways to use your Windows 7 key during the install:

1. When asked for the serial #, put in that Windows 7 serial # and continue on. It should activate as soon as it hits an internet connection.

2. When asked for the serial #, at bottom of window click on the I don't have a serial # text (or whatever it says). It will then ask what version you want to install, ie. Home or Pro. Be sure to install the right version that matches your Windows 7 key. Then once you get into windows you can activate by putting in the key. Some people prefer this method, not sure why honestly. Easier to do #1, since the installer will see your key and know which flavor of Windows 10 you are trying to install.

ironwolf, Dec 18, 2018
  4. malware Win User

Can I use Windows 10 key to downgrade to Windows 7?

Microsoft Windows 7 Will Allow Downgrades too

Even though there's still some time left before the official release of Windows 7, Microsoft - the creator of this OS - confirmed today that just like some Windows Vista distributions could be downgraded to Windows XP with ease, the same will apply to Windows 7. General users of Windows 7 will be given the option of downgrading right over Vista to Windows XP, a Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed.
    "This is not the first time that Microsoft has offered downgrade rights to a version other than its immediate predecessor," the spokesperson told Betanews, "and our Software Assurance customers can always downgrade to any previous version of Windows."
    Microsoft hasn't detailed exactly how downgrade rights will work with Windows 7 - for now we know that Windows 7 will be downgradable to either Windows Vista or Windows XP - the rest of the details remain unclear.

Source: Betanews

malware, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

Can I use Windows 10 key to downgrade to Windows 7?

1. Can I use Windows 10 key to downgrade to Windows 7? - Similar Threads - key downgrade

2. Downgrade from Win 11 Pro to Win 11 Home OR Give me a product key for Win 11 Pro.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downgrade from Win 11 Pro to Win 11 Home OR Give me a product key for Win 11 Pro.: I purchased a computer that was said to have Windows 11 Home on it. When I received my computer it told me windows was not activated, and as such I am missing lots of functionality on my new computer. Upon further investigation, this is because the license associated to the...
  3. Downgrade from Win 11 Pro to Win 11 Home OR Give me a product key for Win 11 Pro.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downgrade from Win 11 Pro to Win 11 Home OR Give me a product key for Win 11 Pro.: I purchased a computer that was said to have Windows 11 Home on it. When I received my computer it told me windows was not activated, and as such I am missing lots of functionality on my new computer. Upon further investigation, this is because the license associated to the...
  4. Windows 10 Pro doesn't have product key, can I downgrade to Home,and will that need a P-key...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro doesn't have product key, can I downgrade to Home,and will that need a P-key...: I recently bought I used PC since mine went all screwy from trying to use a downloaded script to change all the services back to their normal settings.the used PC had been reset so when I turned it on I had to do the windows start-up stuff, but the only problem is it has...
  5. Windows 10 Pro doesn't have product key, can I downgrade to Home,and will that need a P-key...

Windows 10 Pro doesn't have product key, can I downgrade to Home,and will that need a P-key...: I recently bought I used PC since mine went all screwy from trying to use a downloaded script to change all the services back to their normal settings.the used PC had been reset so when I turned it on I had to do the windows start-up stuff, but the only problem is it has...
  6. Windows 10 Pro doesn't have product key, can I downgrade to Home,and will that need a P-key...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Should I buy a product key for Home after downgrading from Pro to Home?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Should I buy a product key for Home after downgrading from Pro to Home?: I had a Windows 10 pro edition with no product key, after downgrading to home, i've decided to buy a product key. Should I buy product key home or pro?...
  8. Should I buy a product key for Home after downgrading from Pro to Home?

Should I buy a product key for Home after downgrading from Pro to Home?: I had a Windows 10 pro edition with no product key, after downgrading to home, i've decided to buy a product key. Should I buy product key home or pro?...
  9. Should I buy a product key for Home after downgrading from Pro to Home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Lost key, can't downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Home

Lost key, can't downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Home: Hi,My pc died after power switch during updating the system.I managed to reinstall system, but by mistake I installed Win ProI don't have key for that, so watermark is still on my screen, sadly I lost it with super old pc box.When I'm getting to activation of my key there's...