Windows 10: Can i use windows 7 retail key to activate windows 10?

Discus and support Can i use windows 7 retail key to activate windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; as the topic 1. if i have clean install windows 10 can i use retail key from windows 7 to activate that? 2. if it can, how how long microsoft will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mairocknroll, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Can i use windows 7 retail key to activate windows 10?

as the topic

1. if i have clean install windows 10 can i use retail key from windows 7 to activate that?

2. if it can, how how long microsoft will support after activated?

Thank you very much

:)

Mairocknroll, Jan 22, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jan 22, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    activate windows 7 oem key

There is no difference between the OEM disc and the Retail disc with Windows 7. A retail disc will accept a OEM or Retail key, and vise versa.

If the OEM Key wasn't going to work with the disc you have, it would have stopped you during the install when it first asked you for the key, not during activation.

What is likely the problem is that, since the OEM version has already been activated once, it is failing activation again. Activate it over the phone using the option given to you on the failed activation screen, and you shouldn't have a problem activating it.

newtekie1, Jan 22, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

Can i use windows 7 retail key to activate windows 10?

activate windows 7 oem key

You cannot activate a retail version of Windows with an OEM key.
    The retail version should have it's own activation key.
    If you just borrowed the Win DVD from someone who is using the key, that won't work with your OEM (OA) key.

pwned by newtekie. lol My bad.
    It does work in Vista and 7, just not in XP.

Have you looked on the ASUS website to see if you can re-download the driver/diag disk, or at least everything you need to make one?

Kreij, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

Can i use windows 7 retail key to activate windows 10?

1. Can i use windows 7 retail key to activate windows 10? - Similar Threads - retail key activate

2. Can I use Windows 7 Product Key for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I use Windows 7 Product Key for Windows 10?: I have a product key for Windows 7 Home Premium on the back of my computer. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. I ran into some problems which caused me to reinstall Windows from a USB drive without being able to boot up Windows. Now, long story short my Windows is not activated...
  3. Can i use key from win 7 to activate win 10 ?

Can i use key from win 7 to activate win 10 ?: hello, tell me please i have buy 1 disk with 7 pro version, now i want to install win 10 pro, can i use key from 7 pro disk that i buy ? Thank you...
  4. Can I use Windows 8.1 key to activate Windows 10?

Can I use Windows 8.1 key to activate Windows 10?: My laptop cannot boot up windows 10 anymore. Then I try to reset windows but it said not possible to reset as found some issue. So I wanna download windows 10 and reinstall instead but this laptop upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10. So I have only windows 8.1 key in my...
  5. Can Windows 7 be activated by the key that has activated Windows 10?

Can Windows 7 be activated by the key that has activated Windows 10?: I use guest Windows 10 in VirtualBox on host Linux. Windows 10 has already been activated by a valid Windows 7 product key. Assuming that I will install guest Windows 7 in the same VirtualBox on the same motherboard, can Windows 7 be activated by the same product key? 126754
  6. windows 10 activation with a retail key

windows 10 activation with a retail key: hello so my problem is simple i have a windows 10 professional retail key not affiliated with my Microsoft account about 5 month ago i bought a new hard drive and installed a new copy of windows on it (yes the version is pro) and when i entered the key it said that it wasn't...
  7. can i activate windows 10 using my windows 7 product key?

can i activate windows 10 using my windows 7 product key?: hi, so recently i got parallels desktop on my mac. i wanna activate it using my windows 7 ultimate product key. however, it says that the edition on windows 10 is the home single language one. like can i use the windows 7 product key?...
  8. Can I use Windows 10 key to downgrade to Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I use Windows 10 key to downgrade to Windows 7?: Last year Microsoft updated to laptop to Windows 10 without my permission. It completely screwed it up. I have since switched to a Chromebook for most of my daily needs, but i still have a couple programs that only run on Windows. I didn't get installation disks with my...
  9. Can I use my 7 product key to activate?

Can I use my 7 product key to activate?: Hey guys. I uninstalled the GWX update a couple of weeks back (icon was annoying me lol don't ask) I reinstalled the update today with 10 being released & the GWX app wouldn't work at all, no icon, nothing. Instead I have just upgraded by using their media creation tool...
  10. Can I use a Windows 7 starter key to activate windows 10 home 64-bit?

Can I use a Windows 7 starter key to activate windows 10 home 64-bit?: Hello! Microsoft said that with 1511 build we can now enter a Windows 7/8/8.1 licence key to activate windows 10 until july... but not so much more information whatsoever. I have a Windows 7 starter spare product key. I guess it's 32-bit (since I never heard of 64-bit...