Windows 10: Can I use Windows To Go on an unsupported external disk?

Discus and support Can I use Windows To Go on an unsupported external disk? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’m planning to buy and use this drive! Western Digital 5TB P10 Game Drive Portable External Hard Drive, Black (PC, PS4, Xbox One)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/r6_smurfs_is_gay, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Can I use Windows To Go on an unsupported external disk?

/u/r6_smurfs_is_gay, Sep 1, 2020

2. Can't find External Hard disk?

Hi,

Thank you for coming back to us.

To assist you better, please provide us more information

• Did you tried all the methods from my previous response?

• What is the make and model of the external disk?

• Does the external device is detecting on Disk management?
    The issue you are facing could be due to external disk driver is being outdated. You can also try below steps to update the external disk driver and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager.

• Click on Universal Serial Bus to expand it, right click on the
      device and Update it.
    Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 1, 2020
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Sep 1, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Can I use Windows To Go on an unsupported external disk?

Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware

Step #5 - in the command window that opens type:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0 <- make sure disk 0 is the hard drive in question!
    clean <- this will erase the disk selected above - make sure disk 0 is the hard drive you want!
    convert gpt
    exit
    exit

NavyLCDR, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

Can I use Windows To Go on an unsupported external disk?

1. Can I use Windows To Go on an unsupported external disk? - Similar Threads - unsupported external disk

2. can i install windows 10 on an unsupported cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i install windows 10 on an unsupported cpu: i have an intel pentium d and want to install windows 10/11 on it the only problem is that it doesnt have prefechw for win10 and prefechw and tpm 2.0 for 11is there any way i can install win10 64x on it it matches all requirements exept that...
  3. i want to use windows 11 with unsupported tpm

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want to use windows 11 with unsupported tpm: i want to use windows 11 but i have tpm verion 1.2 which doesn't currently meets the minimum requirement of windows 11 but i have all other requirements such as storage ram etc. so how can i use windows 11 on this pc?...
  4. i want to use windows 11 with unsupported tpm

i want to use windows 11 with unsupported tpm: i want to use windows 11 but i have tpm verion 1.2 which doesn't currently meets the minimum requirement of windows 11 but i have all other requirements such as storage ram etc. so how can i use windows 11 on this pc?...
  5. Can I use windows-to-go on a mac?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use windows-to-go on a mac?: A friend of mine has been having some issues with their Mac, and they want me to backup their hdd before they try to get anything done with it.The only program I trust is on windows.Can I setup a temporary windows-to-go drive and help that way?...
  6. Can I use windows-to-go on a mac?

Can I use windows-to-go on a mac?: A friend of mine has been having some issues with their Mac, and they want me to backup their hdd before they try to get anything done with it.The only program I trust is on windows.Can I setup a temporary windows-to-go drive and help that way?...
  7. Can I install Windows on an external SSD and use on Macbook that has no internal disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I install Windows on an external SSD and use on Macbook that has no internal disk?: Hello,I would like to install Windows on an external SSD and use on a Macbook that has a failed internal disk. Is this possible and if so, how should I proceed?Many thanksAndrea...
  8. Can I install Windows on an external SSD and use on Macbook that has no internal disk?

Can I install Windows on an external SSD and use on Macbook that has no internal disk?: Hello,I would like to install Windows on an external SSD and use on a Macbook that has a failed internal disk. Is this possible and if so, how should I proceed?Many thanksAndrea...
  9. Can I upgrade to Windows 11 on an unsupported PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I upgrade to Windows 11 on an unsupported PC?: Can I upgrade to Windows 11 on an unsupported PC? My specifications are as follows:Device name DESKTOP-45I7BA9 Processor IntelR CoreTM i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz Installed RAM 8.00 GB GPU IntelR HD Graphics 2000Hard Disk Device ID ------------- Product ID...
  10. format External USB hard disk before you can use it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    format External USB hard disk before you can use it.: I have an Icybox USB3 external hard drive box, which worked fine until recently. The box has no drivers to install, it uses the ones supplied by Microsoft with Windows. It worked fine with Windows 8, it worked fine with windows 10 when I did the upgrade. I was able to...