Windows 10: Can I, using a recovery USB, change what drive my windows is installed to?

Discus and support Can I, using a recovery USB, change what drive my windows is installed to? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My SSD is spitting out errors like crazy and I want to move my windows install to my secondary HDD. I have a recovery USB from the maker of my PC, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ScottMou1337, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Can I, using a recovery USB, change what drive my windows is installed to?

My SSD is spitting out errors like crazy and I want to move my windows install to my secondary HDD. I have a recovery USB from the maker of my PC, but I can't get a clear answer on if the USB will let me choose what drive it goes on. Help?

:)

ScottMou1337, Nov 18, 2019
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Nov 18, 2019
  3. 7.62 Win User
    Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

USB drive doesnt show up, even after a format through windows (XP)

Any suggestions?

4. Can I, using a recovery USB, change what drive my windows is installed to?

Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

Its weird tho cause I have no problem with installing from disc. I did change it back to boot from HDD. I really dont want to uninstall all my components, kinds defeats the purpose of installing from usb. it would take longer to disconnect and reconnect after install then it would to just install from dvd.

Do you think its beacuse the drive was formated in ntfs, thats the only step I did different from the OP. Well that and the bootsect /nt60 command before coping files.

heres they way I went, probly have to try it fat32

launch diskpart.exe)
    select disk 1 (or your USB drive number, use list disk to get it)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition=1
    active
    format fs=ntfs
    assign
    exit

Now that the drive is boot aware, we have to initialize its boot sector with the Windows boot manager (BOOTMGR), using the Bootsect.exe utility located in the boot directory of the Vista installation DVD. We have to tell the utility that our target drive is NTFS formatted:

bootsect.exe /nt60 f:

ShRoOmAlIsTiC, Nov 18, 2019
Thema:

Can I, using a recovery USB, change what drive my windows is installed to?

1. Can I, using a recovery USB, change what drive my windows is installed to? - Similar Threads - using recovery USB

2. Can I use a recovery drive for a clean windows re-install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use a recovery drive for a clean windows re-install?: Hello,To best explain my question, please allow me to explain my situation.I am a college student, and for a class we will be installing a copy of Linux onto our computers. For unrelated reasons, I have come to the conclusion that it is best to install Linux onto my Personal...
  3. Can I use a recovery drive for a clean windows re-install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use a recovery drive for a clean windows re-install?: Hello,To best explain my question, please allow me to explain my situation.I am a college student, and for a class we will be installing a copy of Linux onto our computers. For unrelated reasons, I have come to the conclusion that it is best to install Linux onto my Personal...
  4. Can I use a recovery drive for a clean windows re-install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can I change what drive my Windows is installed on?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I change what drive my Windows is installed on?: I recently built a new computer, taking the HDD and SSD I had used in my old computer. I installed Windows and purchased a digital license for it. Unfortunately, as I am not the best with computers, I accidently installed Windows on my HDD rather than my SSD.Is there any...
  6. Can I change what drive my Windows is installed on?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I change what drive my Windows is installed on?: I recently built a new computer, taking the HDD and SSD I had used in my old computer. I installed Windows and purchased a digital license for it. Unfortunately, as I am not the best with computers, I accidently installed Windows on my HDD rather than my SSD.Is there any...
  7. Can i use create a recovery drive using only a partition of a USB drive?

Can i use create a recovery drive using only a partition of a USB drive?: I created a recovery drive using the Windows 10 Settings function. I have a USB hard drive with three partitions on. I selected one of the partitions but once the recovery drive process had finished, it had wiped the other partitions on the drive Should i just buy a 30GB...
  8. What size and type of USB should I use for a recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What size and type of USB should I use for a recovery drive?: So I had a pretty big scare a few minutes ago. My brand new machine which I basically only use for the web and no one else has access to, appeared to be stuck in a boot loop. Well, it ended up being just that the power key was stuck. The experience has motivated me to make a...
  9. What's the difference between a win 10 installation usb and a usb recovery drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the difference between a win 10 installation usb and a usb recovery drive: I just watch two videos on how to do it. But what is the difference. Don't they do basically the same thing. Which of the two is better? I want to get something on a usb stick just incase something bad happens in the future and i have a backup plan. submitted by...
  10. Can I use "Create a recovery drive" to install windows 10

Can I use "Create a recovery drive" to install windows 10: Hi So my sister's Windows 8.1 laptop's hard drive is broken... with her OS on it. I'm getting her a new hard drive (internal) which I will fit, but it seems pointless to buy windows all over again when she still owns it. I was thinking I could create a recovery drive from...