Windows 10: Can Macrium Free do a Windows partitions restore after overriding SATA

Discus and support Can Macrium Free do a Windows partitions restore after overriding SATA in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; The Dell branded motherboard allows the SATA controller to be put in either RAID or AHCI mode. I created a full backup image in RAID mode of all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jaguwaar20, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Can Macrium Free do a Windows partitions restore after overriding SATA

The Dell branded motherboard allows the SATA controller to be put in either RAID or AHCI mode. I created a full backup image in RAID mode of all partitions to restore Windows. After the full backup was created, I changed to AHCI mode.
    The system is not running two NVMe drives in RAID 0. There's only one NVMe. Im referring to the override of the AHCI protocol on the mainboard my drive controller uses to use Intel's RST drivers. No RAID volume was created.

If I were to restore the Windows partitions image in AHCI, in the boot process, the boot loader would load the windows kernel and critical drivers required to get Windows up and running. But the SATA controller setting was in RAID mode when the system image was created. So this is a new hardware configuration, and the operating system will fail to boot in AHCI, would it not?

The IRST storage controller driver is no longer installed. That was replaced with the Standard Microsoft NVMe Controller during the change to AHCI mode. That IRST driver was called the Intel Chipset SATA/PCLe RST Premium Controller (under Storage Controllers in Device Manager).

Maybe I'm looking at this to be more difficult than it is where it would only require for a successful restore to have the SATA controller in the BIOS changed back to RAID mode before performing the restore? What is the way for a Windows restore to be done so it doesnt end up screwed up?

The setting in BIOS in RAID mode has the side-effect of enabling the Z370 chipset feature of hiding the NVMe device from standard NVMe drivers. This mode forces Windows OS to use Intel's RST drivers. The IRST drivers access the remapped NVMe device through non-standard interfaces on the chipsets SATA controller.

Windows just isn't working the way it used to work in RAID mode. The change even caused the internal secondary HDD and the internal optical drive to swap drive letters.
    Does anyone know if it's likely that Windows will change those two drive letters back to what the drive letters originally were on those disk drives if a successful restore is done?

Should I have had purchased the paid Macrium version with ReDeploy to perform this type of backup and restore?

:)

Jaguwaar20, Oct 12, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Can Macrium Free do a Windows partitions restore after overriding SATA [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Oct 12, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Macrium image restore changes partition layout

Macrium did not do it. You did it, there is a difference between RESTORE and COPY. Restore C drive back to the SSD will put C drive where it was when you made a backup of C drive which in turn override the 16MB MSR partition. What you need is to COPY C Drive back to the SSD.

To Copy:
    1. Click on 1 to enable 2
    2. Click on 2 to delete C
    3. Click on 3 (C drive backup), drag and drop to 1->Next->Finish
    4. Click on "Fix the Windows boot problems"

Can Macrium Free do a Windows partitions restore after overriding SATA [​IMG]

topgundcp, Oct 12, 2020
  4. Can Macrium Free do a Windows partitions restore after overriding SATA

Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT

Hello

• I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903 build 18362.959 on a
    • Dell Optiplex 7040 MT w/16GB RAM and 512GB 2.5" SSD
    • Win 10 is still MBR partitioned
    • I'm adding a 500GB NVMe I purchased from Crucial
    • I'm using Macrium Home Edition v7.2.5107 (s/b latest version)

I want to restore my backup image from a USB external drive to the NVMe and convert MBR to GPT partitioning as well. I understand I should disable the SATA 2.5" SSD in BIOS before the restore.

What I'm not sure of: will Macrium restore to new Hardware (the NVMe) and by default also convert from MBR to GPT or are there additional steps to get the partitioning done as part of the restore? Any other tips/info you think might be helpful in the process are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for the help! Can Macrium Free do a Windows partitions restore after overriding SATA :)

ComputerGeek, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

Can Macrium Free do a Windows partitions restore after overriding SATA

1. Can Macrium Free do a Windows partitions restore after overriding SATA - Similar Threads - Macrium Free partitions

2. Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore: Hello, I am using Macrium Relect Free to make backups of my computer. I used it to make a system image backup of Windows 10 on an SSD. To test I booted into the Macrium Rescue media USB key and restored the image to a different HDD. Macrium added another Recovery partition to...
  3. Can i restore to a macrium backup that was made with the premium version for free?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i restore to a macrium backup that was made with the premium version for free?: Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if its not please re-direct me. So i encrypted a backup with macrium reflect using the free trial, but if this trial runs out and i want to restore that backup, do i need to purchase the full version? submitted by...
  4. Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME

Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME: Ok guys another conundrum, but this isnt a critical issue rather something that would be nice to fix. So I was temporarily without my m.2 drive, and windows 10 was actually originally installed on a spare SATA SSD I had. When my m.2 stick was available again, I backed up...
  5. Free Macrium Reflect fails to restore the Windows 1mage

Free Macrium Reflect fails to restore the Windows 1mage: I use Macrium Reflect on my ASUS Laptop with Windows 10 Home version 20H2. Recently I tried to restore an earlier Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Image with Macrium Reflect on my Laptop but the restoration failed several times and I got the following message. Otherwise my Laptop...
  6. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  7. Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions.

Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665) not resizing partitions.: I'm trying to clone my 250 GB Windows hard drive to a 1TB hard drive, using Macrium Reflect Free Edition (v6.3.1665). However, it is not allowing me to resize the Windows partition to fit the larger drive. It clearly shows 698.63 GB of unallocated space, but "Cloned Partition...
  8. event id 41 after restoring an image with macrium reflect free why ?

event id 41 after restoring an image with macrium reflect free why ?: every time I restore my windows 10 with an image created with macrium reflect free the image restore without any proplem and windows 10 works good but when I check event viewer I see event id 41 (unexpected shutdown) why ? no unexpected shutdown happened and no blue...
  9. Macrium Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Free: I just downloaded Macrium Reflect Free version 6.3. When I tried to backup my system disk that has two partitions, Windows Reserved and Windows itself, I go an error message saying, : MFT corrupt =6. Please run chkdsk /f. I did that several times on the disk with no...
  10. Macrium image restore changes partition layout

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Macrium image restore changes partition layout: I tried one again to use Macrium to backup only C:, clean install then restore only C:. Once again it did more that I asked it to and removed the 16MB partition created by the clean install. After clean install I had this, 4 partitions on Disk 0 (SSD): [img] After...