Windows 10: Can malware infect from inside PST file?

Discus and support Can malware infect from inside PST file? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; As part of backing up an Outlook.com email address, I want to ask Microsoft to generate a PST file for the whole mailbox that I can download. However... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Win20Win, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Win20Win Win User

Can malware infect from inside PST file?

As part of backing up an Outlook.com email address, I want to ask Microsoft to generate a PST file for the whole mailbox that I can download. However the mailbox is large and is getting spammed quite a bit, so I'm assuming that there will be some emails mixed in that contain malware inside them. This makes me wonder how I am going to handle the PST file, as I am concerned that just downloading it onto my PC might allow any malware to infect the computer from inside the PST file - even if I don't try to open it. Should I be worrying about this, or is the PST file safe?

:)

Win20Win, Sep 1, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Outlook PST File Problem

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Export everything to another PST file, delete the old(or rather move it out of the default folder) and replace it with the new PST file that you exported.

newtekie1, Sep 1, 2019
  3. Can a .PST File Get Hacked or Become Infected?

Malwares are doing a lot of tricks, one common form used to be .JPEG file that has been infected and virus embedded into it in past. So it is not about the file extension but you have to prepare to protect any type of file. There aren't many cases about
    infecting and hacking .pst files but anything could be happen in future , so you should follow general best practices with security and if you see any suspicious sample, make sure submit it for analysis. If those file are not password protect, they could be
    open using any outlook app and password for the file must be strong so it won't be broken. If you have Bitlocker in system, it encrypt everything including .pst file.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Sep 1, 2019
  4. JenrG Win User

Can a .PST File Get Hacked or Become Infected?

With Cyber security month almost at its end, we're still reviewing where potential holes might be, generally. One question came up about Outlook PST files. I'm mainly referring to the files on standalone PCs that are not connected to Exchange Server.

Are there any known occurrences of someone stealing data out of a PST file? Can they be hacked?

Can they become infected? If so, if you get a virus and have multiple PST files, does it just infect one, or can it infect all?

Just thinking

JenrG, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Can malware infect from inside PST file? - Similar Threads - malware infect inside

2. Infected by malware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Infected by malware: I have been infected with something that says " MCAffee"Subscription payment failed". I tried to find it a program to delete but could not. I run a Dell with Windows 10 Pro. How do I delete this program?Thanks in advance....
  3. Infected by malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Infected by malware: I have been infected with something that says " MCAffee"Subscription payment failed". I tried to find it a program to delete but could not. I run a Dell with Windows 10 Pro. How do I delete this program?Thanks in advance....
  4. Infected by malware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can deleting an email result in a malware infection?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can deleting an email result in a malware infection?: I am probably being paranoid, but here is my question:I use the browser version of Outlook. Recently I received an obviously spam email in my junk folder. I did not click on anything or even so much as open the email. All I did was delete the email then erase it from deleted...
  6. Malware infection

Malware infection: My laptop got infected with malware win-10 after using anti-malware I deleted some programme now a msg is popping up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malware-infection/b87a988d-00df-4403-9be2-2afdd9d9f889
  7. Possible malware infection?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Possible malware infection?: So I know that malware and viruses is easy to catch if your not careful and I’m not gonna lie I’m pretty not careful at times and I think that caught up to me and I might be infected with some virus and I also had a question about my bios so first let me start with the main...
  8. Possible malware infection?

Possible malware infection?: So I know that malware and viruses is easy to catch if your not careful and I’m not gonna lie I’m pretty not careful at times and I think that caught up to me and I might be infected with some virus and I also had a question about my bios so first let me start with the main...
  9. ScreenSketch.exe infected by malware ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ScreenSketch.exe infected by malware ?: Hello Everybody, When looking through Process Explorer, I noticed that the new screen capture tool ScreenSketch.exe is flagged as malware by one antivirus engine on VirusTotal. See :...
  10. PC infected with malware

PC infected with malware: I recently ran kmspico.exe and couple other unverified programs(of course by mistake) and now my pc's loaded with malware and virus. I reset my pc completely but I still think there are virus files saved which weren't deleted as I had opted to kept personal files. I don't...