Windows 10: CAN NO LONGER RENAME FILES WITH FORIGN LETTERS !!!!!!!!!!!! CANNOT SEARCH AND COPY OR...

Discus and support CAN NO LONGER RENAME FILES WITH FORIGN LETTERS !!!!!!!!!!!! CANNOT SEARCH AND COPY OR... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; this started happening a few patches back if a file name is longer and has some certain characters in it the renaming works if you do it manually but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by frkhrd, May 22, 2020.

1. frkhrd Win User

CAN NO LONGER RENAME FILES WITH FORIGN LETTERS !!!!!!!!!!!! CANNOT SEARCH AND COPY OR...

this started happening a few patches back if a file name is longer and has some certain characters in it the renaming works if you do it manually but when i use other programs like bulk renamer or ant renamer to rename 100 files i can no longer rename things.

When i use explorer and in search put an * to select all files and folders and files inside the folders the search will just error out when i try to paste them into another folder. This worked for last so many years and now is broken.

Here is a file name i tried to rename its not very long. also when i renames some they just disapeared but still says they are there if i search. i put in a new intel ssd drive and wonder if it may be causing problem but every game and other ap works ok.
    English Subtitle Under the Power42, , , 1080p_25fps_AV1-128kbit_AAC.avi

:)

frkhrd, May 22, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 22, 2020
  3. Cannot Rename Files in File Explorer Search Results

Using Windows 10 File Explorer, I brought up a list of files that required renaming. The search criterion was file type, i.e. "type:mp3." I then tried to rename the files (removing a hyphen and replacing it with a space), but kept getting a disallowed
    action 'chime.'

It turns out I cannot use the space bar or type any other characters at all. Deleting characters is OK, but pressing letters, numbers or the space bar, for example, are all disallowed. I have tried both Right Click -> Rename and F2 methods.

If I go back to the file directory itself, i.e. without using Search Tool, I can rename files (whether spaces, letters, or whatever) no problem. Unfortunately, with a large number of files, finding the ones to rename is painstaking.

This was certainly no problem under Windows XP, but appears to be yet another 'feature' in Windows 10. Indeed, under XP's File Explorer, you could search on filename, rename it so that the new name fell out of the results set and poof, no problem.
    This isn't even the issue here, so what gives?

LostInSpace88, May 22, 2020
  4. Wozzer Win User

CAN NO LONGER RENAME FILES WITH FORIGN LETTERS !!!!!!!!!!!! CANNOT SEARCH AND COPY OR...

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, May 22, 2020
Thema:

1. CAN NO LONGER RENAME FILES WITH FORIGN LETTERS !!!!!!!!!!!! CANNOT SEARCH AND COPY OR... - Similar Threads - LONGER RENAME FILES

2. file explorer letter before drive letter in search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer letter before drive letter in search: when i did a search in file manager it showed the file as "rc:******" why is there a letter before the drive and what does it mean f and r are the letters that are shown before the drive...
  3. Cannot delete, copy, cut and rename a PDF file

Cannot delete, copy, cut and rename a PDF file: Hello Team, I downloaded a PDF file from the Flipkart website in which comparing of laptops consist. After opening that file, I tried to delete that file but I couldn't perform any operation on that file. I used Microsoft File and Folder trouble-shooter to detect any...
  4. Cannot rename file ... yet shows as renamed.

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot rename file ... yet shows as renamed.: I have no idea how to search for this. Copying the folder to a different HDD still inherits the same problem in that another location. I have a HDD (G:) from another computer. On it, there was a backup of my pictures. The folder is located g:\pictures. I renamed it to...
  5. Renaming a file in search fails

in Cortana
    Renaming a file in search fails: Renaming a file in search fails, but only in documents, it works elsewhere! If I go to documents, perform a search, then rename one of the files that are displayed, the file disappears from the list and is not renamed. But it renames ok if I search in another folder....
  6. Why doesn't File Explorer search work for searches longer than three letters?

Why doesn't File Explorer search work for searches longer than three letters?: T works, Th works, The works, but They doesn't work i.e. no search results. Replicated across all words. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-doesnt-file-explorer-search-work-for-searches/6cacf00f-01fb-4849-8720-fdfff59c5ec4
  7. I cannot move, copy or rename my files.

I cannot move, copy or rename my files.: Recently I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had three disk partitions. C Drive, D Drive and E Drive. Windows is installed in C Drive. After upgrade D Drive became E Drive and E Drive became F Drive. I can't move, copy or rename files and folders in these drives. Also,...
  8. I cannot move, copy or rename my files. They are video files. I can play them.

I cannot move, copy or rename my files. They are video files. I can play them.: Recently I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had three disk partitions. C Drive, D Drive and E Drive. Windows is installed in C Drive. After upgrade D Drive became E Drive and E Drive became F Drive. I can't move, copy or rename files and folders in these drives. Also,...
  9. Can no longer move/copy files to shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can no longer move/copy files to shortcuts.: The subject says it. Windows will no longer let me drag & move or copy to a shortcut. Is there a fix? [img] 156902
  10. Copy File and rename if this file exist in destination

Copy File and rename if this file exist in destination: Hello, I need a script to copy for example C:\file.txt to D:\file.txt and if D:\file.txt exist keep both files every time the script run. Thank you...