Windows 10: Can no longer start timer from taskbar search box

Discus and support Can no longer start timer from taskbar search box in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi, I just recently noticed that I can no longer start a timer easily from the Windows 10 taskbar search box. Previously I was able to type "timer 23... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by mikato80, Jul 22, 2019.

1. mikato80 Win User

Can no longer start timer from taskbar search box

Hi, I just recently noticed that I can no longer start a timer easily from the Windows 10 taskbar search box. Previously I was able to type "timer 23 min" and it would start a 23 minute timer immediately when I hit enter. But now the best match is under "See web results" and when I hit enter, it opens a new tab in the Edge browser to a Bing search for "timer 23 min".

I have used this functionality pretty much daily, so this change definitely removes some nice convenience for me that Windows 10 had. Also, I have not rebooted my computer in a week probably so this change didn't occur after a regular windows update. It could have been a behind the scenes update however since I know they can update some things that way.

One more interesting thing I notice is that if I type "timer " it will still bring up the Timer app. And I see other results for "timer 2 min" just below the Timer app. So if I type "timer 2 min" and hit enter, it indeed starts the 2 minute timer as before. Also if I type "timer 5" I see there is an entry for "timer 55 min" and I can type that full to match and it does start a 55 minute timer. I notice this is a Cortana entry there, and I guess Cortana is starting the timer, so maybe this change is from a Cortana update.

To summarize, this seems to be related to Cortana since Cortana starts the timer this way, and the change occurred without a computer restart. So this change could have been due to a Cortana update behind the scenes. This is my guess.

Do you have any other ideas of what might have happened? I would request to MS - please change it back!

:)

mikato80, Jul 22, 2019
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Search box on taskbar missing.

Hi John,

This issue with search box may happen if it's hidden from the taskbar.

To resolve the issue, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the taskbar and select Search.
    • Select Show search box.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Jul 22, 2019
  3. No search box on taskbar Can no longer start timer from taskbar search box :(

Hi Keith,

Thank you for posting your response in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern about search box in Windows 10.

Please try the below and check if you can see search bar on taskbar:

Steps:

• Right click on Taskbar, move the mouse cursor on to
      Search
      option.
    • Select Show Search icon (You will see Search icon beside Start)
    • Select Show search bar (You will see Search bar beside Start)

Check with the above and let us know if it helps, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 22, 2019
  4. Can no longer start timer from taskbar search box

Search box

Hi,

To start troubleshooting your issue, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the taskbar.
    • Select Cortana.
    • Click Show search box.
    Let us know how it goes.

Eugene deV, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

Can no longer start timer from taskbar search box

1. Can no longer start timer from taskbar search box - Similar Threads - longer start timer

2. Search Box next to start: I Can No Longer Type Into It

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Box next to start: I Can No Longer Type Into It: I tried to utilize a 16 June Restore Point a few days ago because of a printer issue. Restore could not complete.Since then, the Search next to the Start button has been unable to accept typing - in other words, it cannot be used. This in turn has prevented me from returning...
  3. Search Box next to start: I Can No Longer Type Into It

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Box next to start: I Can No Longer Type Into It: I tried to utilize a 16 June Restore Point a few days ago because of a printer issue. Restore could not complete.Since then, the Search next to the Start button has been unable to accept typing - in other words, it cannot be used. This in turn has prevented me from returning...
  4. Search Box next to start: I Can No Longer Type Into It

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Start box vanished from Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Start box vanished from Taskbar: Can anyone. please, help me to recover it? 21H1 182843
  6. Search Box in the Taskbar

in Cortana
    Search Box in the Taskbar: I am not able to use the search box present in the taskbar,whenever i click on it nothing happens and it does not open, i have tried restarting windows explorer and have also repaired registry.Please Help as it is very annoying....
  7. Search box on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search box on taskbar: Since the last update for WIndows Pro, the search box on the taskbar is no longer working. I can't type anything into it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-on-taskbar/b7e24968-dd0f-4cf8-909c-4b794a3ac4ba
  8. Search box on Taskbar

in Cortana
    Search box on Taskbar: Hello, Is there any way to change search engine from Bing to google in Windows 10 search box on the taskbar? I have read from other posts that it is possible you change bing to google in your browser, but it is not possible to change bing in the search box on the taskbar in...
  9. Search Box on Taskbar

in Cortana
    Search Box on Taskbar: Just updated Windows 10 and my Search Box on my Taskbar no longer functions--just a blank box. How can I recover my Search Utility? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-on-taskbar/38bb2870-91c0-4860-a66a-2398334a8f83"
  10. Can the taskbar search box be resized (shortened)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can the taskbar search box be resized (shortened): I have seen/read the tutorial about showing/hiding the search box ... but it doesn't say anything about resizing. Have put several icons on taskbar (to be similar to Win 7) but taskbar has to be 2 lines to see them all at one time. If search box was shorter, could...