Windows 10: Can not access documents on USB device

Discus and support Can not access documents on USB device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since installing W10 am unable to open files stored on USB. OS acknowledges drive with 'noise' when plugged in, but what do I click to open the the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nerothefiddler, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Can not access documents on USB device

Since installing W10 am unable to open files stored on USB. OS acknowledges drive with 'noise' when plugged in, but what do I click to open the the files?.

:)

Nerothefiddler, Jul 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 Limited network over Ethernet "Unidentified network"

I may be missing something. I am just a home user, and all of a sudden I am receiving "Unidentified Network" "Unlimited", "No Internet Access". It started out as being random, but is now permanent. This is happening on my Gateway
    desktop. Luckily I have a laptop that is able to connect via WIFI, but I need my desktop. I sincerely appreciate any assistance that anyone can give. I just don't understand how you get these drivers when you can't get to the internet. Thank you in advance.

Can Not Access Internet, Jul 30, 2015
  3. File manager in Nokia Lumia 920

Unfortunately, your phone is not like any other USB device. You have likely noticed when connecting the phone via USB, you have a limited number of folders already set up, three media and documents. You can copy photos, videos and music into the associated
    folders, and their apps will find them. You can copy Office documents into the documents folder for which there is an Office app. PDFs are not associated with an Office App. The PDF readers do not have access to the document folder. The most reasonable ways
    to get a PDF on the phone is via SkyDrive and e-mail attachment That goes for any file supported by some third part app. They cannot be placed on the phone via USB, into those directories. Third party apps do not have access to those spaces (other than photo
    apps).

There is no file management program , and if a third party were to try and develop one, it would not have the privileges to access the directories, as it would be restricted to it's own space.

Sven Johannsen, Jul 30, 2015
  4. brummyfan Win User

Can not access documents on USB device

What happens when you right click any folder? Any options appearing?

Can not access documents on USB device [​IMG]

brummyfan, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Thanks for your reply brummyfan.
    I can not access any of the files on the USB stick. I get sound when the stick is plugged in which I assume that its accessable but that is all.
    In win7 which was the old os I was using you clicked the icon in the tray then the usb listed, now when I click on the same icon the usb is not listed. thats a far as I get!.

Nerothefiddler, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Rudy Mas Win User
    Your USB stick probably hasn't assigned a drive letter. This happens sometimes.

Check if it shows up in Disk Management. (<win>-x and then in the menu "Disk Management".) Look if the USB is mentioned there, and if so, if it has a drive letter assigned to it. If not, just assign it one. *Smile)

If this doesn't work, see if you can use the USB stick on another computer.

Rudy Mas, Jul 31, 2015
  7. Thank you brummy fan and Rudy Mas. Sorry for the delay in replying, was having trouble logging in.
    Discovered the little onedrive icon in task bar, right clicked and problem solved!.
    O thing that is still a mistery is that the USB needs a password to open in W7,but opens without in W10.

Nerothefiddler, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can not access documents on USB device

1. Can not access documents on USB device - Similar Threads - access documents USB

2. Unable to access USB device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access USB device: Hi, I have Microsoft 11. I have inserted a USB device but I am not seeing the device under "This PC". I am seeing the device listed under "Settings", "Bluetooth & Devices", "other devices" connected to USB 3.0. . What step can I take to access this device?...
  3. Unable to access USB device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access USB device: Hi, I have Microsoft 11. I have inserted a USB device but I am not seeing the device under "This PC". I am seeing the device listed under "Settings", "Bluetooth & Devices", "other devices" connected to USB 3.0. . What step can I take to access this device?...
  4. Install a USB Device so a VM can access it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install a USB Device so a VM can access it: HelloI have a USB device that I would like to control from a window 7 VM running on a windows 11 host. The device is not a hard drive I got that to work : it is actually a programmable device and the software that I need to use to program it, only runs on window 7.When I plug...
  5. Install a USB Device so a VM can access it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install a USB Device so a VM can access it: HelloI have a USB device that I would like to control from a window 7 VM running on a windows 11 host. The device is not a hard drive I got that to work : it is actually a programmable device and the software that I need to use to program it, only runs on window 7.When I plug...
  6. USB device access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB device access denied: Hi After I cloned my OS to SSD, I am not able to access any USB drives in any of the USB slots. I am getting an error access is denied. When I run chkdsk in CMD admin mode , I get the following error: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk...
  7. Accessing documents

Accessing documents: When I try to open any document, Word, Excel, pdf etc, either from Windows Explorer or use one of the "Quick Launch" links, I get an error message: "Windows cannot find 'C\[file path]' Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again" I have run "scf" as...
  8. Can I give Windows Sandbox access to USB devices?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I give Windows Sandbox access to USB devices?: I ♥ Windows Sandbox. I know how to give a Sandbox access to a USB drive. I have other devices I need to provide the Sandbox in order to vet software before I install it. Example devices: USB-to-serial adapters Software dongles For the curious, these are the situations...
  9. accessing documents on Quick access

accessing documents on Quick access: Windows 10 - I can no longer access the latest documents I'm working on in Quick Access - just offers folders. This happened about two weeks ago. How do I fix it?...
  10. Usb devices not accessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb devices not accessible: It sounds like you may have set permissions wrong try taking ownership of the folders with our tutor Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials