Windows 10: Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option

Discus and support Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option the program show a message the media is write protected and the backup abort with error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CesarM1, Dec 9, 2018.

1. CesarM1 Win User

Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option

Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option the program show a message the media is write protected and the backup abort with error 0x80070013 please advice

thanks

Cesar Mantilla

:)

CesarM1, Dec 9, 2018
  2. rcgldr Win User

Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups

I have a multi-boot system, XP Pro (32 bit), XP Pro X64 (64 bit), Win 7 Pro (64 bit), Win 10 Pro (64 bit). Each OS is on a separate hard drive and partition. The C: partition is boot only (no operating system on it).

I did a system image backup from Win 10 and also from Win 7. Once I do a Win 7 image restore using Win 7 repair (dvd), the Win 10 images backups no longer appear in the list of backups if I later run Win 10 repair or Win 7 repair.

The workaround for this bug is to do a system image backup from Win 7 and include the Win 10 partition in the Win 7 image backup (to Win 7, the Win 10 partition is a "data" partition). The the Win 7 repair will restore the Win 10 partition unless restore to "non-system" partitions is turned off. I confirmed this works by formatting both the Win 7 and Win 10 partitions before doing a repair / restore test.

What I don't understand is what the Win 7 restore changes to my system that prevents the Win 10 backup system images from appearing in the list of image backups. The Win 10 image folders are still present on my hard drive(s).

rcgldr, Dec 9, 2018
  3. JRHoot Win User
    Windows 10 backup and restore (Win 7) how to run?

I have decided that I will use Acronis to do backups. I will not try the Win 10 Backup Restore option. Not interested in restoring back to a Windows 7 status.

JRHoot, Dec 9, 2018
  4. rcglider Win User

Win 10 repair disk unable to find Win 10 system image backup

As a workaround to this issue, I have verified that by doing a system image backup from Win 7 and adding the Win 10 partition to the list of partitions (the Win 10 partition appears to be a "data" partition from Win 7 perspective) to be backed up by the
    Win 7 system image backup, I can then restore both Win 7 and Win 10 partitions. The main drawback is I have to restore the Win 7 partition in order to restore the Win 10 partition. I can choose to only restore the Win 7 partition, but not to only restore the
    Win 10 partition.

As a side note, if I restore a Win 7 image backup made before I installed Win 10, then there's no option to restore "Windows 10" from either Win 10 or Win 7 repair. I'm wondering if or how a Win 10 repair would function if restoring to a replaced hard drive.
    If all of the partitions on a hard drive are included during a system image backup, then system image restore is supposed to be able to partition and format a hard drive as part of the repair restore. I have the impression that Win 7 repair restore can do
    this, but I'm not sure if Win 10 repair restore can do this.

rcglider, Dec 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option - Similar Threads - backup using backup

2. Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?: I've been attempting to move File History and my Win 7 backups to a new drive. So far I've spent an extraordinary amount of time fighting "can't move file ??" because of verification errors. I'd hate to think of what the Win 7 backup files would bring me....
  3. Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?: I've been attempting to move File History and my Win 7 backups to a new drive. So far I've spent an extraordinary amount of time fighting "can't move file ??" because of verification errors. I'd hate to think of what the Win 7 backup files would bring me....
  4. Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  6. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  7. Win 10 Using Win 7 Backup which attempts to backup a deleted user

Win 10 Using Win 7 Backup which attempts to backup a deleted user: Win 10 - I am using Windows 7 Backup and Restore and the error log always shows skipped files of a deleted user. The user is deleted in every way I could find to do it and I have deleted the User Folder for that user. Windows Backup must be finding that old user in the...
  8. Windows 10 Backup using windows 7 backup and restore option issue

Windows 10 Backup using windows 7 backup and restore option issue: I have 1 TB hard disk on my pc i decided to use windows 7 backup and restore option to backup things incase anything happens to be able to recover my data so i went to disk managment and partition my harddrive into 2 parts : Local Disk D 900GB and Recovery E 100GB went to...
  9. Win 10 Backup (7)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Backup (7): Hi, I'm getting a message that Backup skipped two files. I checked the paths and they are invalid. Since I cannot drill down to these two locations in File Manager, I wonder how Backup is selecting them, that is, where is Backup getting this information to attempt to...
  10. Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?: I've been using Backup & Restore on some Win 7 systems but now I have added a new Win 10 PC (from HP). It's not entirely clear to me why I would use the Win 10 File History facility versus Win 7 Backup & Restore. File History looks like a partial backup. I'd prefer a full...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 7