Windows 10: can not backup long files named with random numbers and letters

Discus and support can not backup long files named with random numbers and letters in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; why does my backup exclude the long files made up of random numbers and letters? What are they? I did not create them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ARLENE JOHNSTON, Jun 3, 2020.

1. can not backup long files named with random numbers and letters

why does my backup exclude the long files made up of random numbers and letters? What are they?

I did not create them.

:)

ARLENE JOHNSTON, Jun 3, 2020
  2. JeffGomer Win User

Identifying file names too long to backup

Thanks, I'll give it a try

I also googled on line "file names too long to backup" and found a free program that allows you to identify a file name length and it will show you specific file names that are too long. I haven't tried it yet.

Jeff

JeffGomer, Jun 3, 2020
  3. mccoady Win User
    Outlook Email Random Letters & Numbers

I put Office 365 on my mother's computer under my 365 Home license. She's using outlook.com as her email and Outlook as her email client on her computer. Outlook wasn't syncing her email I think due to Microsoft switching to Exchange and deleting the account and starting over was supposed to be the fix.

Anyway I deleted her account but didn't pay attention to the warning I needed to back something up... maybe not smart. I created a new profile entering her name Pat C and email I'll call L: [email protected].

Her new profile syncs plus sends and receives email just fine... but something's weird going on. Inside of Outlook it lists her email address as gobbledygook it's something like outlook.37ej39.07d.outlook.com instead of L: [email protected]. I've already deleted the profile but I believe the profile itself listed it as L: [email protected] but if you looked at the Properties of the account it listed it as outlook.37ej39.07d.outlook.com. The gobbledygook numbers & letters aren't exactly as they were listed but you get the picture.

I tried creating new Profiles plus doing an Office Repair but I always get the same random number & letters for her email. Nor do I ever see this gobbledygook during the setup process... only after it's finished.

Anyway to fix her email when using Outlook... her email is fine outside of Outlook?

mccoady, Jun 3, 2020
  4. JeffGomer Win User

can not backup long files named with random numbers and letters

Identifying file names too long to backup

Is there a method to identify which specific file names are too long to backup?

I am on windows 10, trying to get a clean backup before completing the Oct 2018 update, and see a message that the backup failed because some file names are longer that 256 characters.

I see questions regarding this that go back 15 years, hopefully the problem has been solved/answered.

Thanks,

Jeff

JeffGomer, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

can not backup long files named with random numbers and letters

1. can not backup long files named with random numbers and letters - Similar Threads - backup long files

2. Files with random strings of letters and numbers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files with random strings of letters and numbers.: I don't know what Data Base Files do, but I just want confirmation on whether or not these files are safe. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-with-random-strings-of-letters-and-numbers/3f456c01-dfa6-4e67-bddf-6e3fd21df0ca
  3. "outlook_[long series of letters and numbers]@outlook.com"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "outlook_[long series of letters and numbers]@outlook.com": HiI am using the Windows 10 "Mail App" and my 3rd party mail account displays "outlook_[long series of letters and numbers]@outlook.com". I see the work around for Office 365 and the Outlook App BUT not the Windows 10 Mail App. How can I access mail settings like in Outlook...
  4. "outlook_[long series of letters and numbers]@outlook.com"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "outlook_[long series of letters and numbers]@outlook.com": HiI am using the Windows 10 "Mail App" and my 3rd party mail account displays "outlook_[long series of letters and numbers]@outlook.com". I see the work around for Office 365 and the Outlook App BUT not the Windows 10 Mail App. How can I access mail settings like in Outlook...
  5. Keyboard typing random letters and numbers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard typing random letters and numbers: Accidentally pressed something on my keyboard and now it types random letters and numbers whenever you press certain keys.Also on my lock screen so I can’t get to device manager from my keyboard Because I can’t type in my password. Please help...
  6. Random Number and Letter Files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Random Number and Letter Files: Hello, in my Windows 10 PC keeps appearing random files. I delete them then they reappear, I downloaded some anti-virus programs and hard drive cleaning software, but it doesn't work, I need help. These are the files :Most of are empty and have appeared recently.Thank you,...
  7. Random letters than the desired number.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Random letters than the desired number.: awhile ago I opened up the laptop to play some games and browse something. I realized something went wrong the moment I start pressing the keys at my keyboard, instead of numbers it responded with letters some even had 3 letters per one number. I tried all of the possible...
  8. Folder names in programs folder changed to random letters and numbers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folder names in programs folder changed to random letters and numbers: Some program folders and shortcuts for various apps have been renamed. The original file names for the .exe files are all intact. I can still use windows search to look up "Microsoft Word," for example, but then the result "$R4EBKO7" comes up with the Microsoft Word icon...
  9. File History backup - folders not named just numbered? What is it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History backup - folders not named just numbered? What is it?: I have done backup of my computer using File History method. I can see that there are many items in FileHistory folder on my backup disk. In a folder "$OF" there are thousands of other folders that are named with numbers only. In those folders there are many files. If I...
  10. Outlook Email Random Letters & Numbers

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook Email Random Letters & Numbers: I put Office 365 on my mother's computer under my 365 Home license. She's using outlook.com as her email and Outlook as her email client on her computer. Outlook wasn't syncing her email I think due to Microsoft switching to Exchange and deleting the account and starting over...