Windows 10: Can not change folders from read only after latest update

Discus and support Can not change folders from read only after latest update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just installed the latest Windows update on my computer and now I can not change any of my folders from being marked as read-only Not a checkmark... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dashingdave66, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Can not change folders from read only after latest update

I just installed the latest Windows update on my computer and now I can not change any of my folders from being marked as read-only Not a checkmark but a black square Every folder on my computer and on my attached hard drives both USB and NAS storage devices has this issue, and I can not change this setting. It is frustrating that I am not being given control over my own files Any advice on how to fix this?

:)

dashingdave66, Aug 8, 2020

2. Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Aug 8, 2020
  3. Cant change the folder from read only

Hello Kat,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

Before proceeding any further, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
    • What are the relevant error messages when you say 'it wont let me'?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to following steps and check if it helps:

To take ownership of a file or folder, follow these steps:

• Press and hold the folder that you want to take ownership of, then tap
      Properties
      . (If you are using a mouse, right-click the folder, and then click
      Properties.)
    • Tap or click the Security tab, tap or click Advanced, then tap or click
      Change. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Type the name of the person that you want to give ownership to, and then click
      Check Names.
      Note The account name for the person that you are assigning ownership to is displayed.
    • Click OK.
    • If you want this person to be the owner of the files and subfolders that are contained in this folder, select the
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    • Click OK.
    Reference:"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working
    with files and folders in Windows

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to File/folder permissions in Windows, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 8, 2020
  4. Can not change folders from read only after latest update

change read only attribute

Hi Luisdel,

• What exactly are you trying to do?
    • What happens you try to change it?
    After upgrading to Windows 10, some users are reporting that files in their \Documents folder are read only when they try to access them in an Office app. This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Please let us know if it’s working.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

Can not change folders from read only after latest update

1. Can not change folders from read only after latest update - Similar Threads - change folders read

2. Can’t change folders from read only back to normal.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t change folders from read only back to normal.: I am about to lose my mind over this I swear to god. I’ve tried every single one of your suggestions and can’t talk to a real person on the phone. No matter what I do, my folders automatically revert to read only. This is essentially preventing me from using my computer. This...
  3. Can’t change folders from read only back to normal.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t change folders from read only back to normal.: I am about to lose my mind over this I swear to god. I’ve tried every single one of your suggestions and can’t talk to a real person on the phone. No matter what I do, my folders automatically revert to read only. This is essentially preventing me from using my computer. This...
  4. After latest update, literally every single folder is read only, even system folders, what...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After latest update, literally every single folder is read only, even system folders, what...: So the latest update was downloaded and i used thr system like any other day, today however I'd decide to go and record something, after recording something i quickly realised i couldnt access the folder cus it was read only, I never set it to that, I checked further and then...
  5. After latest update, literally every single folder is read only, even system folders, what...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After latest update, literally every single folder is read only, even system folders, what...: So the latest update was downloaded and i used thr system like any other day, today however I'd decide to go and record something, after recording something i quickly realised i couldnt access the folder cus it was read only, I never set it to that, I checked further and then...
  6. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  7. All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed: Hello everyone. As the title states, all of my folders throughout windows 10 have set themselves to read only and I am unable to change this back no matter what I try. This is the first time I have wanted to edit something a set of photo's since before Christmas and now I...
  8. Can´t read the notifications after latest update..?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can´t read the notifications after latest update..?: Hello! I did make a major windows update two days ago, after that I cant see the notifications anymore. Fx when I insert a USB, I get a sound notice, then a little "1 new" down at the right corner, but nothing more than that. Same when ejecting the USB, a small "1" down...
  9. Search folder changes to read only

in Cortana
    Search folder changes to read only: Hi, Problem with a W10 /pro 64 bit workstation, version 1803 17131.407. After the latest update the search stopped finding stuff. Even in a folder with a file like photo.jpg, a search for photo or photo.* or even photo.jpg showed nothing. This had happened before....
  10. Folders read-only after motherboard change...

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders read-only after motherboard change...: Following a motherboard change this morning all my folders are now read-only causing problems with some programmes. If I go to the properties for a folder and uncheck read-only box including sub-folders and files it appears to work but next time I look the box is checked...