Windows 10: Can not click on or open start menu and other apps

Discus and support Can not click on or open start menu and other apps in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a windows 10pc and I am having an intermittent issue where I am unable to click on certain shortcuts. I will try to click the start menu and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kilbixy, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Can not click on or open start menu and other apps

I have a windows 10pc and I am having an intermittent issue where I am unable to click on certain shortcuts.

I will try to click the start menu and it’s colour changes when i click, but it doesn’t open, same with file explorer and some desktop apps. If I use the keyboard to open the start menu it works ok, but if I try to open some apps, it won’t open them. If I restart the computer it sometimes works again, then sometimes not.

I believe it’s all up to date and is still fairly new.

submitted by /u/kilbixy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kilbixy, Dec 24, 2020
  2. Callender Win User

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

You can't use it to add additional programs, only to set default programs.

Interestingly for me it shows nothing for text files:

Can not click on or open start menu and other apps [​IMG]

Then if I want to add a portable app like Jarte Plus to open with context menu windows doesn't like it.

It's not present and is near impossible to add even via "look for an app on this PC"

OpenWithAdd to the rescue:

Result:

Callender, Dec 24, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User

Yep, I see the same.

I tried adding Paint to Open With for txt. That also appeared in the More Options list.

I suspect it's to do with what the programs are registered to handle. The Open With list is constructed form a number of sources e.g. at least these:

The first of those corresponds to Snip & Sketch (simply search and find refs to the Appx string)

dalchina, Dec 24, 2020
  4. mngerhold Win User

Can not click on or open start menu and other apps

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

Can not click on or open start menu and other apps

1. Can not click on or open start menu and other apps - Similar Threads - click open start

2. W11 App right click on Start menu not showing previously opened documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W11 App right click on Start menu not showing previously opened documents: When I right click on Word in the Start menu, it doesn't show the previously opened documents, even though Personalization->Start has "Show recently opened items in Start, Jump Lists and File Explorer" set to On.Oh, should also note that I'm opening documents that are saved...
  3. Why doesn't rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" open the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why doesn't rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" open the...: On Windows 10 rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" doesn't open the files' "actual location" but just a folder in which the shortcut is. You then have to rightclick on that shortcut and click on "open file path" or whatever it is in english to...
  4. Start Menu Stays Open After Clicking App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Stays Open After Clicking App: Yo Xperts, Since the New Edge, the Start Menu Stays up after starting a selection? A new bug or is there a new option - Please do not offer SFC or check for updates. Thx, Joe...
  5. Unable to open Start Menu, Store, and other MS apps

Unable to open Start Menu, Store, and other MS apps: This has been going on for a while. After the 1903 update, I was unable to access the start menu, the store and several apps that were not pinned to my task bar or desktop. I tried multiple solutions and was finally able to get the start menu to work after rolling back the...
  6. Can't Click on Start Menu Apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Click on Start Menu Apps: When I open the start menu and try to search for something/click on something it doesn't do anything. After restarting, sometimes it doesn't even let me click on the windows button at all (I can still open it with the windows key.) I've seen a lot of threads on this but...
  7. Opening start menu causes any left click to open the contextual menu (right click) on top...

in Cortana
    Opening start menu causes any left click to open the contextual menu (right click) on top...: Hello! When I'm opening the start menu after a fresh startup, my left click works properly but opens the contextual menu. However, if I open the search bar, I get completely locked out of the start menu (I can still alt+TAB out of it) because of the contextual menu on top of...
  8. start menu and other apps not working

start menu and other apps not working: whenever I click on my start button a blue message pops up saying 'Critical Error' and it asks me to sign out. I also can't use the search bar, Spotify or even go into my settings. Is there something wrong with my PC or is it just some sort of a bug? I would appreciate it if...
  9. Clicking on one app opens another instead in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Clicking on one app opens another instead in the Start Menu: As the title says, when I try to open a specific app (Plex), it opens that one plus another one (iTunes). I've tried reorganizing the tiles, removing them then pinning them back again but it still happens. I made sure I have the latest updates installed. Has anybody else run...
  10. Can't ctrl+click on apps in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't ctrl+click on apps in the start menu: It worked on windows 8.1 but after upgrading to 10 it doesn't work anymore. When I try to select several apps using ctrl+click the first app I click on starts and it doesn't even get marked. How do I fix this? I have tried with both my ctrl-buttons and I know they work...