Windows 10: can not copy files to external drive

Discus and support can not copy files to external drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I need to copy folders with the included files from my hard drive to an external drive. This is for safe keeping. I can copy the folders but the files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Heriberto Cabezas1, Dec 4, 2022.

1. can not copy files to external drive

I need to copy folders with the included files from my hard drive to an external drive. This is for safe keeping. I can copy the folders but the files are not copied over.

:)

Heriberto Cabezas1, Dec 4, 2022
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Regarding copying of files in external drive from pc

Hi,

The message that appeared on your screen may have occurred due to the possible missing files if you'll try to copy it that way. We suggest that you follow these steps on how you can copy the file together with it's properties:

• Right click on the application (Bully) and click Properties.
    • On the application properties window, under the Shortcut tab, click
      Open File Location.
    • The File Location window will open.
    • Select everything. Copy and paste it to the external drive.
    • The copying process may take a while depending on the type of files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Dec 4, 2022
  3. Cannot copy files from external drive

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to us.

1. Did you try to create a new user account and try to copy the files from your external drive to your computer?
    2. What is the location that you are trying to past the file? For example, are you pasting the files from your external drive to your Desktop, Documents, or somewhere else?
    3. Are you able to copy the same files from the external drive to the some other PC?
    4. Are the files write protected on your external drive?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Go to the destination folder on your computer, where you are trying to copy the files from your external drive. Let’s create a
    New Folder on your desktop.

Step 2: Double click on New Folder from your desktop and
    Right Click on some blank space and click on Properties
    and go to General tab.

Step 3: Under Attributes, completely uncheck the
    Read-only option. (The box should be blank, check it again if it has a checkmark or a small square inside it).

Step 3: Click on Apply and
    OK

Step 4: Now, open one of the files on your external drive and do the same, i.e.,
    Right Click on a file (NOT THE FOLDER) >
    Properties
    > General and under Attributes, uncheck
    Read-only option.

Step 5: Click on Apply and
    OK

Now, see if you are able to copy this file from your external drive to your computer.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Dec 4, 2022
  4. can not copy files to external drive

Access Denied trying to copy from external drive

Hello,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with copying file from external drive on C drive. We will certainly help you.

It would be grateful if you can reply to this questions in order to assist you further:

• Have you tried copying the file in some other location on your system?
    • What is the exact error message you receive?
    • Which all troubleshooting steps have you already tried?

We suggest you to try copying the file in Safe mode and check if you are able to. Follow the steps from link below:

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Let us know the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Dec 4, 2022
Thema:

can not copy files to external drive

1. can not copy files to external drive - Similar Threads - copy files external

2. Unable to copy to an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to copy to an external drive: I have an external drive that I have used many times for storage; i.e., moving files from my desktop to the external drive. Now when I try to move files there, I get a message saying "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain...
  3. can not copy files to external drive

can not copy files to external drive: I need to copy folders with the included files from my hard drive to an external drive. This is for safe keeping. I can copy the folders but the files are not copied over....
  4. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

Copying Backup data files to an external drive.: Hi, I am Hemant, I make Astm A320 L7 BoltsI have several external drives attached to my Desktop machine. One has Genealogy files, one is for Backups, another is for archiving Photography.When I work on the Genealogical files I like to bring an entire family folder onto the...
  5. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Copying Backup data files to an external drive.: Hi, I am Hemant, I make Astm A320 L7 BoltsI have several external drives attached to my Desktop machine. One has Genealogy files, one is for Backups, another is for archiving Photography.When I work on the Genealogical files I like to bring an entire family folder onto the...
  6. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  8. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  9. Cannot copy files from external drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot copy files from external drive: A friend has a new Win 10 PC. After connecting an external drive from the old PC to the new PC we tried to copy a folder tree from the external drive to an internal drive. Most of the files copied by some generated an error dialog with the message "You'll need to provide...
  10. Can you copy program files over to an external hard drive?

Can you copy program files over to an external hard drive?: Can you copy program files over to an external hard drive? And copy them back onto your hard drive after installing Windows 10 pro? Or do you have to install all the programs again? If so is there any software that would do it for you? 74875