Windows 10: Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name

Discus and support Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello,I am tring to google and find how to make, that my path name and file name can exceed 255 MAX characters. I found 2 solutions. With reg edit The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Evaldas Samavicius, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name

Hello,I am tring to google and find how to make, that my path name and file name can exceed 255 MAX characters. I found 2 solutions. With reg edit The registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD must exist and be set to 1. The key's value will be cached by the system per process after the first call to an affected Win32 file or directory function see below for the list of functions. The registry key will not be reloaded during the lifetime of the process. In order for all apps on the system to recognize t

:)

Evaldas Samavicius, Oct 13, 2021

2. Error 1324. The folder path '?WINDOWS' contains an invalid character

The folder path '?WINDOWS' contains an invalid character

-> Folder names cannot contain a question mark.

I modified the registry as directed.

-> What was the registry hack you applied?

Please do this:

1. Mark the code line below, then press Ctrl+C to copy it.
    2. Click the Windows orb, then press Ctrl+V to paste the code line.
    3. Press Enter.
    4. Open the desktop file Env.txt and copy its contents into your reply.

cmd /c set > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Env.txt" & pause

Frederik Long, Oct 13, 2021
  3. The Folder Path "Microsof□" Contains an Invalid Character

Looks like the wizard is flawed. What is it?

Frederik Long, Oct 13, 2021
  4. Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name

Illegal characters in path

Windows Phone - App Preview 3 would not sync my iTunes library with my Lumia 920. It generated a completely unhelpful error, and the displayed music, but not my auto-playlists.

I checked %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Phone\lastexception.txt, and found it didn't like a character in the name of my playlist

System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.

at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)

at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)

at Microsoft.WPSync.Sync.Source.iTunes.ITunesMusicSyncSource.CreatePlaylistItem(String name, String persistentId)

at Microsoft.WPSync.Sync.Source.iTunes.ITunesMusicSyncSource.CreatePlaylist(String name, String persistentId, List`1 playlistSongs)

at Microsoft.WPSync.Sync.Source.iTunes.ITunesMusicSyncSource.ParsePlaylist(Dictionary playlistProps)

at Microsoft.WPSync.Sync.Source.iTunes.ITunesMusicSyncSource.LoadPlaylists(PList iTunesLibrary)

at Microsoft.WPSync.Sync.Source.iTunes.ITunesMusicSyncSource.LoadiTunesLibrary(PList iTunesLibrary)

at Microsoft.WPSync.Sync.Source.iTunes.ITunesMusicSyncSource.InitWithLibraryFile(String libraryFile)

at Microsoft.WPSync.Sync.Source.iTunes.ITunesMusicSyncSource.DoModelLoading()

at Microsoft.WPSync.Sync.Rules.MediaSyncSource.ReloadModelData()

I renamed two of my playlists that contained non alphanumeric characters, and the issue is resolved.

jasonvelocity, Oct 13, 2021
Thema:

Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name

1. Can not create folder which contains more than 255 characters in path and name - Similar Threads - create folder contains

2. When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...: Especially with legacy paths migrated to new systems involving thousands of files. Its too much to expect busy people to rename and reorganise....
  3. When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...: Especially with legacy paths migrated to new systems involving thousands of files. Its too much to expect busy people to rename and reorganise....
  4. When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I locate a file or folder which name is in Chinese characters?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I locate a file or folder which name is in Chinese characters?: I would like to locate a file quickly by hitting a key on keyboard. It works on the files which name is in English characters but doesn't work on those files named in Chinese characters.I would appreciate if someone could help me on this....
  6. The Folder Path "Microsof" Contains an Invalid Character

The Folder Path "Microsof" Contains an Invalid Character: Hello, I've been having difficulty with my computer lately. Every time I try to use an Install Wizard, it immediately gets blocked with an error saying "The Folder Path "Microsof" Contains an Invalid Character." The error looks like this, if that helps: [ATTACH] Is...
  7. Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters

Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters: Hi All, Do we have any solution for this issue? Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters. We are unable to open any files from the long shared path in Windows 10 and Windows 2012 server. We tried below options to resolve this problem but...
  8. Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Softwaredistribution.bak files pathnames are longer than 255 characters: Hi, Windows updates seems to be creating file pathnames greater than 255 characters on my laptop running Windows 10 Home 64-bit . They are in the c:\windows\Softwaredistribution.bak\. . . folder . Some of the files' pathnames are coming in at 281 characters! Surely...
  9. Wrong file properties when folder contains files exceeding 255 character

Wrong file properties when folder contains files exceeding 255 character: So it has been almost 10 months with this problem, any news about it? Are the developers working on it? To me it looks like a silly and easy error to fix. I mean i understand that the OS has problems with long file names, but in the past it just skipped those files, now it...
  10. Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters?: I was under the impression that this was a feature that was added to one of the updates on Windows 10. Enable long file name support in Windows 10 | IT Pro How come I'm still gettng an error when copying a file deep down a directory path to another drive? eg. copy...