Windows 10: can not delete, move or open file

Discus and support can not delete, move or open file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have windows 10. I have word 1026 file that when I try to open it wont open, I just get the "word not responding" message and have to restart the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 55chevy, Apr 6, 2017.

1. 55chevy Win User

can not delete, move or open file

I have windows 10. I have word 1026 file that when I try to open it wont open, I just get the "word not responding" message and have to restart the computer to get out of it. I can not delete the file or move it. My back up script gives me an error message that it out the file same file.

I have tired to delete the file in safe mode with same results as above. I downloaded an unlocker program and it says file can't be unlocked. I would like to get rid of this file. I am aware of it everyday when my backup script report says there was an a error with this file ad it could not be copied to my backup drive.

any suggestions would be appreciated

:)

55chevy, Apr 6, 2017

2. Can not delete or open folders

Hi,

Based on the information that you have provided, it seems that the external hard drive's file system is corrupted. In this case, we recommend that you run a repair by following these steps:

• Open the File Explorer and locate the external hard drive.
    • Right-click it and select Properties.
    • Go to Tools tab.
    • Below Error checking, click the Check button.
    • If you get a prompt that says there are no errors found, click on Scan drive
      to continue.
    • Wait for the process to finish.
    Once you are done, check if the issue still persists and let us know if you need additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Apr 6, 2017
  3. dawng67 Win User
    Can not delete or open folders

I am trying to delete folders that are empty and this is the message I am getting:

Location is not available

File or directory is corrupted and unreadable

These files are on an external drive. I brought my HP Pavillion to a pc shop so they could get certain files from the pc before I ran an ISO. i had to take it back because they put the files on the drive as a shortcut and I could not get into them at all.
    Now there are files in that folder that I can't remove. I did not ask them to pull all of the files, the second attempt they completed correctly and pulled off just the files I requested. But, it's the first folder they pulled everything off and now I can't
    remove of some of them.

dawng67, Apr 6, 2017
  4. can not delete, move or open file

Welcome to the forums 55chevy!

Do you have any third party add-ons installed? If so you can try to either turn them off or delete them and it may help.

indianacarnie, Apr 6, 2017
Thema:

can not delete, move or open file

1. can not delete, move or open file - Similar Threads - delete move open

2. can not delete or move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can not delete or move or rename pdf file: I have a pdf file on my desktop with a very long name that I cannot delete, rename, or move. Every attempt fails. I get no error message telling me that the file is in use by another program...it simply won't disappear or allow me to change its name. I have tried running...
  3. can not delete or move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can not delete or move or rename pdf file: I have a pdf file on my desktop with a very long name that I cannot delete, rename, or move. Every attempt fails. I get no error message telling me that the file is in use by another program...it simply won't disappear or allow me to change its name. I have tried running...
  4. Folder is unavailable/moved or deleted error when opening a file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder is unavailable/moved or deleted error when opening a file.: I am an artist who creates digital art on my machine, running windows 10. I keep the images and work in progress files for my work in a folder called "comics" on my computer's hard disc drive I have a :c that's an SSD for running windows, and a HDD drive for storing...
  5. Folder is unavailable/moved or deleted error when opening a file.

Folder is unavailable/moved or deleted error when opening a file.: I am an artist who creates digital art on my machine, running windows 10. I keep the images and work in progress files for my work in a folder called "comics" on my computer's hard disc drive I have a :c that's an SSD for running windows, and a HDD drive for storing...
  6. Folder is unavailable/moved or deleted error when opening a file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Cannot open, delete, rename or move a file on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open, delete, rename or move a file on desktop: HiSo I faced the issue where I wasn't able to open, delete, rename or move a pdf file with a long filename on the desktop. While browsing through old forums and discussions, I came across the following solutions which do not work:Changing propertiesEnable/disable the preview...
  8. Cannot open, delete, rename or move a file on desktop

Cannot open, delete, rename or move a file on desktop: HiSo I faced the issue where I wasn't able to open, delete, rename or move a pdf file with a long filename on the desktop. While browsing through old forums and discussions, I came across the following solutions which do not work:Changing propertiesEnable/disable the preview...
  9. Cannot open, delete, rename or move a file on desktop

10. Moving or deleting files

Moving or deleting files: Hello While trying to move or remove certain files, I'm getting this warning: "If you move this file, Windows or another program may no longer work correctly." I DO KNOW you have responded to a very similar q. already, but, in this case, those files were copied from an...