Windows 10: Can not enable BitLocker on system drive

Discus and support Can not enable BitLocker on system drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to enable BitLocker on my home Windows 10 Pro with dedicated and enabled TPM 2.0 module. However, when I try to enable BitLocker for system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AndriiZhuk, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Can not enable BitLocker on system drive

I am trying to enable BitLocker on my home Windows 10 Pro with dedicated and enabled TPM 2.0 module. However, when I try to enable BitLocker for system drive, I got an exception "Ask system administrator"

:)

AndriiZhuk, Aug 6, 2021

2. Windows 10 Bitlocker will not enable on system drive (But will on other drives)

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the delay in response.

I would like to inform you that as BitLocker requires memory to encrypt, I would suggest you to check if there is sufficient space in the drive.

I suggest you to disable BitLocker from other drives and then try enabling BitLocker on the system drive followed by other drives.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Aug 6, 2021
  3. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Aug 6, 2021
  4. Can not enable BitLocker on system drive

BitLocker won't enable on Windows 10 after update on Aug 9

Hi Brenda,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before I assist you I would like to know the information below,

• Do you have a Windows 10 copy of the operating system?

I suggest you check whether the Bit locker is ON or OFF using the steps below.

Can you verify if BitLocker is enabled or disabled on your device? You can Enable/disable BitLocker by going to Desktop and follow these steps:

• Swipe Right to Left to bring up the Charm.

• Choose Settings.

• Choose Control Panel.

• Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Verify whether BitLocker is on or off on each device.
    Also I suggest you to enable the WinRE so that you can enter the bit locker key and proceed.

When WinRE is disabled, you cannot enable BitLocker, and you receive an error message that resembles the following.

This PC doesn't support entering a BitLocker recovery password during startup. Ask your administrator to configure Windows Recovery Environment so that you can use BitLocker.

The solution would be to manually enable the windows recovery environment:

• Copying the winre.wim file from c:\windows\system32\recovery\ to a folder on a recovery partition. (The partition need to have a drive letter at this point.)

• Set the RE Image path. Example: reagentc /setreimage /path r:\recovery\windowsre

• Enable RE with command: reagentc /enable

• (You may remove the drive letter for the recovery partition after you have done this.)

• Bit locker will be enabled.
    If the issue still persists, suggest you to post your query on the below link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507(v=ws.11).aspx

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Aug 6, 2021
Thema:

Can not enable BitLocker on system drive

1. Can not enable BitLocker on system drive - Similar Threads - enable BitLocker system

2. Cannot enable BitLocker as drive contains system boot information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot enable BitLocker as drive contains system boot information: I try to enable BitLocker on my system drive "C:" but got following error. How to resolve it? Thanks, have a nice day.I have multiple SSD, the Volume 2 contains bootloader, the Volume 3,4 is the C: drive....
  3. Cannot enable BitLocker as drive contains system boot information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot enable BitLocker as drive contains system boot information: I try to enable BitLocker on my system drive "C:" but got following error. How to resolve it? Thanks, have a nice day.I have multiple SSD, the Volume 2 contains bootloader, the Volume 3,4 is the C: drive....
  4. Enabling PTT with bitlocker encrypted system drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enabling PTT with bitlocker encrypted system drive.: Hi,I currently have a Win 10 pro desktop with no TPM and have used the group policy to allow me to encrypt the system drive so I'm asked for the decryption password in the pre-boot environment. I've since discovered while looking at Win 11 compatibility that the BIOS allows...
  5. Bitlocker cant be enabled on drive 0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker cant be enabled on drive 0: Installed windows on an nvMe SSD. Got a pop up about installing it on disk 0.Went to enable bitlocker on my storage drives. Discovered that on disk 0 it is labeled as an active primary partition. I would move it, but there is nothing there. Is this the bug the pop up was...
  6. Cannot enable Bitlocker for USB drive

Cannot enable Bitlocker for USB drive: Hi, I am using win10 enterprise 20h2. I am trying to enable protection for USB drives through the settings that make a drive read only if not encrypted by Bitlocker. This is supposed to offer a pop-up to enable Bitlocker for the drive if you're an administrator on the...
  7. Locking an Unlocked BitLocker Enabled Drive

Locking an Unlocked BitLocker Enabled Drive: Hi, I searched for an option to lock an unlocked BitLocker enabled drive but couldn't find anything. The unlocked drive is accessible by the other user when switching the user account. There should be an option to lock the drive when a user has finished. I hereby suggest...
  8. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD: Hello, I received a new Samsung 860 EVO SSD and want to clone my current HDD to my new SSD. There's one small problem. My laptop came pre-enabled with Device Encryption also know as Bitlocker. It originally came with Windows 10 Home but I upgraded it to pro so i have all...
  9. Bitlocker Not Enabling

Bitlocker Not Enabling: I just started up Bitlocker, and completed most of the process, but the program ever got around to encrypting. I assume this is due to system administrator lock-out, but I've confirmed I have sys admin privileges. This is a brand-new computer without a network. Attached is...
  10. Enabling BitLocker

Enabling BitLocker: On my personal laptop, I'm trying to turn on BitLocker and I get this notice. Does anyone know and have any detailed instructions on how I can do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/enabling-bitlocker/5ff617a2-e9da-44ea-827f-131e28056882"