Windows 10: Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment

Discus and support Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I can find my SSD as my C: but for some reason my D: will not show up on the list. I ran a chkdsk and it can find and analyze D Windows has scanned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EvanCataldi, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment

I can find my SSD as my C: but for some reason my D: will not show up on the list. I ran a chkdsk and it can find and analyze D

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

976629759 KB total disk space.
    491134428 KB in 181842 files.
    48320 KB in 27308 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    386679 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    485060332 KB available on disk.

So obviously it exists. But the fact I can't see it on the windows defrag tool just seems weird. I'm not having any real issues (other than a super long start up once but my windows is contained on C so prob not the reason)

:)

EvanCataldi, Jul 15, 2018

2. hard disk D won't defragment

Hi,

File corruption is one of the reasons why you are having challenges defragmenting your hard disk. Before we proceed, we need you to answer the following questions:

• Are you defragmenting an internal drive or an external drive?
    • Are you using the Windows defragmenter to defrag your hard disk, or is it a third party software?

In the meantime, you can run the System File Checker tool. This will helps use scan and restore corrupted files. Here’s an
    article that will walk you through the steps on how to run the System
    File Checker tool, how to view details of the System File Checker process, and how to manually replace corrupted system files.

We will be waiting for your response.

Kristine Arp, Jul 15, 2018
  3. marissl Win User
    hard disk D won't defragment

My hard disk D won't defragment. It states that it is 100% fragmented but trying to defragment it just stops after less than a second. Searching on the forum here I did find something of the same problem someone else had. I followed the advice given
    'chkdsk/f/r' and it stated that it referred to HP recovery handles and they opened. There were no bad spots etc. But I still can't defrag the hard drive. What am I doing wrong? And now that the drive is opened will anything serious happen to my pc? How
    can a drive work properly if it is 100% fragmented. What should I do now?

Replies would be greatly appreciated.

marissl, Jul 15, 2018
  4. marissl Win User

Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment

hard disk D won't defragment

I ran the system file checker as suggested and the reply was:

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

However what it scanned is 'c:\windows\system 32>>

But it is the hard disk D that won't defrag. What do I do now?

Thank you for your help in this matter. I don't know what to do.

marissl, Jul 15, 2018
Thema:

Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment

1. Can not find D hard drive in disk defragment - Similar Threads - find hard drive

2. Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.: I was out of station for a few days and now after I came back and booted my pc it was taking too long and after boot up there was only C drive visible in My explorer my D &E drives were not there. When I go into disk management the only drive that shows up is the C drive and...
  3. Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.: I was out of station for a few days and now after I came back and booted my pc it was taking too long and after boot up there was only C drive visible in My explorer my D &E drives were not there. When I go into disk management the only drive that shows up is the C drive and...
  4. Hard disk Drive D and E not visible.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. hard disk drives D:

hard disk drives D:: i got pc and when i go look to hard disk my C: is full so how do i add D: because C: is the only 1 that i got on here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-drives-d/903f7cfd-6fd7-44ec-af8c-5761f067c088
  6. Hard Drive Defrag . . .

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive Defrag . . .: My computer is, a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro . . . I want, to clean up, my hard drive. I think, it's known as "Defrag"? I'm not, sure why? But, my computer is running very, slowly. I hope, after cleaning up my, hard drive. It, will run faster? I typed into, my...
  7. Defraging a remote hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defraging a remote hard drive: After optimizing the remote hard drive, I get a prompt saying that it "needs optimization 17% fragmented." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defraging-a-remote-hard-drive/3edac645-c25a-467f-aee6-dd82d3dc7f4d
  8. how can defrag hard drive?

how can defrag hard drive?: need help I don't know how it's done in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-defrag-hard-drive/3c6ada84-f066-404b-a7be-0463d568e606
  9. Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment: Is this normal or should I be concerned? I've tried SFC and DISM commands and everything seems good. Please see the attached image. [ATTACH]...
  10. Hard Drive Disks D: and E: suddenly dissapeared!

Hard Drive Disks D: and E: suddenly dissapeared!: Hello, I opened my laptop today to find that both of my drives (D:) and (E:) are suddenly gone. (D:) had had around 800 GB on (D:) and most of my games. I tried to do system restore (and even created one about a month ago) but it disappeared too. I have updated...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. d drive doesnt show up disk defrag

2. d drive not appear defrag