Windows 10: Can not format drive in partition

Discus and support Can not format drive in partition in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi.I have recently added SSD in my laptop and I have installed Windows OS in it. Also, I have HDD, using it as second storage you can say, But HDD was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JayZ4, Nov 7, 2021.

1. JayZ4 Win User

Can not format drive in partition

Hi.I have recently added SSD in my laptop and I have installed Windows OS in it. Also, I have HDD, using it as second storage you can say, But HDD was divided in two drive so I deleted one drive and tired to merge it into one. So, I formatted the whole HDD using CMD and it is showing unallocated. Now, I want to use it but its not happening as I can not use this space because it showing "Can not format drive".Please help me fix this.

:)

JayZ4, Nov 7, 2021
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Nov 7, 2021
  3. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 7, 2021
  4. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Can not format drive in partition - Similar Threads - format drive partition

2. Formatting hard drives partitions on a dual hard drive laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatting hard drives partitions on a dual hard drive laptop: I recently got a used laptop from a friend of mine. The laptop was running Windows 11 but after attempting to reset the computer, it would no longer boot Windows. I then created a flash drive with Windows 11 and attempted to reinstall Windows 11 but received a message stating...
  3. Can not format drive in partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can not format drive in partition: Hi.I have recently added SSD in my laptop and I have installed Windows OS in it. Also, I have HDD, using it as second storage you can say, But HDD was divided in two drive so I deleted one drive and tired to merge it into one. So, I formatted the whole HDD using CMD and it is...
  4. Can not format drive in partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not format drive in partition: Hi.I have recently added SSD in my laptop and I have installed Windows OS in it. Also, I have HDD, using it as second storage you can say, But HDD was divided in two drive so I deleted one drive and tired to merge it into one. So, I formatted the whole HDD using CMD and it is...
  5. how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions: I have a messed up usb drive. Earlier I had used it for formatting Windows OS meaning installation of Windows 10 via USB. Long time back . So some how it has 2 partitions now. I some how experimenting with diskpart have been able to get one partition back which was 7Gb. I...
  6. how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions: I have a messed up usb drive. Earlier I had used it for formatting Windows OS meaning installation of Windows 10 via USB. Long time back . So some how it has 2 partitions now. I some how experimenting with diskpart have been able to get one partition back which was 7Gb. I...
  7. Formatting a partition

Formatting a partition: Before doing this I want to be 100% certain I am not formatting the entire C: drive. In Disk Management if I format a partition that had the recovery files will the rest of the hard drive be left alone? 128708
  8. Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive

Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive: I have a 2TB thumb drive that I have created two partitions on. partition one is 31.25 GB and formatted as FAT32. partition two is 1921.87 GB and I cannot get it to format. I've tried formatting it as NTFS and exFAT and neither works. The Disk Management app reports:...
  9. How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive

How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive: I should know this. I have a feeling I should use Diskpart but would appreciate some guidance and steps to take. Disk management does not show the 494 KB partition. I guess I want to delete the 494 KB and merge it with the "rest" of the USB stick. When I attempted to format I...
  10. How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Format 494 KB "Partition" on Formatted USB Drive: I should know this. I have a feeling I should use Diskpart but would appreciate some guidance and steps to take. Disk management does not show the 494 KB partition. I guess I want to delete the 494 KB and merge it with the "rest" of the USB stick. When I attempted to format I...