Windows 10: CAN NOT GET AT MY x-os-M2-SSD to format it as a storage drive

Discus and support CAN NOT GET AT MY x-os-M2-SSD to format it as a storage drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So This m2 ssd drive did have a win10pro install on it. I pulled it out and then I installed my os on a regular ssd hard drive. Now I want to format... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DonMurray, Apr 18, 2020.

1. DonMurray Win User

CAN NOT GET AT MY x-os-M2-SSD to format it as a storage drive

So This m2 ssd drive did have a win10pro install on it. I pulled it out and then I installed my os on a regular ssd hard drive. Now I want to format that m2 ssd drive that is a GPT /uefi drive. I do not know or understand how I can boot up to a USB device and see it and format it as a mbr ntfs. Or even ok format it as a GPT disk.
    Do I have to have my bios set to secure boot to recognise a UEFI disk. ? Can GTP exist in a mbr non secure boot environment ? and UEFI I just do not get how to boot up to a USB drive and format this m2 drive so I can use it. I do not need anything that is on it but if I did how would I get at it ?? DO that make that imposiible. ? It will still boot up to the old install of win 10 but I want to format it as a storage drive.
    My mind is stuck in the old way of thinking where I select the USB device. I boot up acronis disk director in 64bit uefi mode and it does boot but it wont see my M2 drive. I do not get why not. ?

CAN NOT GET AT MY x-os-M2-SSD to format it as a storage drive [​IMG]

how do I format this m2 drive so I can use it for file storage ?? It will work perfect for a Photoshop scratch disk but I have not totally figured out how to get at this thing.
    Thank you .

:)

DonMurray, Apr 18, 2020
  2. techguy31 Win User

64Gb SSD for OS or 2Tb HDD for storage ?!

I suggest that you get the 2tb for storage. SSDs are only useful if you want to boot things fast like OS and programs. I actually suggest you get both if you have that many movies.

techguy31, Apr 18, 2020
  3. lacrumb Win User
    How do I format a M2 SSD that is plugged into USB.

I have a M2 SSD in an enclosure plugged into USB. Disk Management will not initialize. I think that it needs to be formatted. How do I do this?

lacrumb, Apr 18, 2020
  4. CAN NOT GET AT MY x-os-M2-SSD to format it as a storage drive

Migration from Hdd to m2.SSD

Recently I have purchased a new laptop (hp probook 450 G4) and a new original windows 10 home edition and now I want to upgrade my 1 TB Hdd to a new m2 ssd and my laptop supports another slot for the m2 ssd so I can run both
    the m2 ssd & hdd at the same time but I will make the m2 ssd the boot drive and the hdd will be the data drive.
    MY Question is how can I migrate system drive to the new m2 ssd without the need to reinstall windows or any other installed programs and there is another thing, when I checked the disk management I found 3 recovery partitions will I have to
    migrate them too or I have to migrate the system drive only

MostafaEl-Desoky, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

CAN NOT GET AT MY x-os-M2-SSD to format it as a storage drive

1. CAN NOT GET AT MY x-os-M2-SSD to format it as a storage drive - Similar Threads - SSD format storage

2. I formatted my m2 drive and now It is not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I formatted my m2 drive and now It is not showing up: I recently formatted my m2 drive so I can Install windows on it and now it is missing in Bios and Windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-formatted-my-m2-drive-and-now-it-is-not-showing/4194e09a-29ce-402d-a78a-04d1076b7c42
  3. I formatted my m2 drive and now It is not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I formatted my m2 drive and now It is not showing up: I recently formatted my m2 drive so I can Install windows on it and now it is missing in Bios and Windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-formatted-my-m2-drive-and-now-it-is-not-showing/4194e09a-29ce-402d-a78a-04d1076b7c42
  4. I formatted my m2 drive and now It is not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop Win10 64 Pro. Pulling SSD. Adding M2 OS SSD & 2.5 Storage SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Win10 64 Pro. Pulling SSD. Adding M2 OS SSD & 2.5 Storage SSD: I have a new zTecpc delivered with a 1TB SSD by mistake, I asked for a 512GB M.2 OS SSD & 2.5" 1TB storage SSD. It came with a clean installation of Win10 64bit Pro and the clean install is on a USB. I contacted them with the issue and got the green light to remove the 1TB...
  6. Format old os drive after migrating to smaller ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Format old os drive after migrating to smaller ssd: Help! I migrated my OS to a smaller SSD. Now I need to format the old drive but not sure how? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-old-os-drive-after-migrating-to-smaller-ssd/286b446d-6342-4402-b890-979b8727a196
  7. Upgraded from SSD to M2 drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded from SSD to M2 drive: I just Upgraded from SSD to M2 drive on my windows 10 Pro system. I cloned my windows to it. Are there any special settings etc to make the M2 run as fast as they say they can? So far I don't see an improvement. Windows 10 Pro with all the latest updates 32 GB of DDR 5 ram...
  8. m2 nvme ssd removable drive

m2 nvme ssd removable drive: Hello, I installed m2 ssd nvme in the m2 port on the motherboard. But it appears in the tray as a portable device with the icon "safely remove devices and disks." The same icon as when you insert a flash card into your usb.asus crosshair VI extremessd adata xpg ssx6000...
  9. CAN NOT GET AT MY x-os-M2-SSD to format it as a storage drive

CAN NOT GET AT MY x-os-M2-SSD to format it as a storage drive: So This m2 ssd drive did have a win10pro install on it. I pulled it out and then I installed my os on a regular ssd hard drive. Now I want to format that m2 ssd drive that is a GPT /uefi drive. I do not know or understand how I can boot up to a USB device and see it and...
  10. How do I format a M2 SSD that is plugged into USB.

How do I format a M2 SSD that is plugged into USB.: I have a M2 SSD in an enclosure plugged into USB. Disk Management will not initialize. I think that it needs to be formatted. How do I do this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot get m2 disk to format