Windows 10: Can Not get Cortana to work on PC

Discus and support Can Not get Cortana to work on PC in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have my microphone and sound set up correctly. They both work in other applications. I also have Cortana set to on. However, when I click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by lgentry, Feb 5, 2015.

1. lgentry Win User

Can Not get Cortana to work on PC

I have my microphone and sound set up correctly. They both work in other applications. I also have Cortana set to on. However, when I click on Cortana's microphone there is no voice, only text asking what she can do for me. I say hey Cortana" and ask something and get no audible response from her and she'll show the weather in the search results.
    I have Windows 10 installed on 2 systems and can't get Cortana to work on either one of them. Anyone have any ideas?

:)

lgentry, Feb 5, 2015
  2. Isha Soni Win User

How can I get Cortana to work on start-up without fiddling every day?

Hi,

I apologize for the delay in response.

Check installing the driver in the compatibility mode.

I would suggest you install the latest driver from
    NVIDIA
    and other audio/sound drivers for
    Windows 10.

If there no drivers available for Windows 10, download the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website and
    try installing it in compatibility mode.
    Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on
    ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
    ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You may also refer: Make older programs
    compatible with this version of Windows
    (Steps applies to Windows 10).

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Feb 5, 2015
  3. How can I get Cortana to work on start-up without fiddling every day?

Hi Isha, it really has made no difference what mode I install in.

This thread may be a clue:

"Hey Cortana" Stops working, needs to be re enabled

What Mwewe wrote on December 30 might be the reason.

However, it is rather worrying that Windows 10 keeps forgetting what the mic settings are. It does appear that after a restart or a sleep cycle, we’re back to square one.

I buy a computer so it remembers stuff, but it seems Windows 10 is as forgetful as a human!

Jack Yan, Jack Yan & Associates, Feb 5, 2015
  4. edee Win User

Cortana does not always give an audible response, the experience I have had with her on my phone is that sometimes you will get a text based or search based response and when you open the app you will always get the text based "Hello _____ what can I do for you today?" , so she does not always speak, only when it is necessary.

I really have not played around with her all that much on the pc but I take it that she is pretty much the same as the Windows phone version, my experience using Cortana is that you must speak clearly in order for her to work properly, other wise yes, you will ask her one question and get the weather in response.

Don't expect too much of her in the pc version, they still have a long way to go with Cortana on the pc.

5. Vladimir Win User
    In Brazil i cant even use it on PC !

Vladimir, Feb 14, 2015
  6. Tony K Win User
    A tap on the search eyeglass on the phone is for text entry. Press and hold for voice entry. Cortana on my desktop PC doesn't work half the time.

Try pressing and hold would be my guess.

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can Not get Cortana to work on PC - Similar Threads - Cortana

2. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  3. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  4. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. End of support for Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  6. End of support for Cortana

End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  7. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  8. Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands

Cortana Not Responding to Voice Commands: Hello, I'm having trouble with Cortana on my Windows 10 computer. When I try to use voice commands, Cortana doesn't respond at all. I've checked my microphone settings and made sure that Cortana is enabled, but it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or any...
  9. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...: hello, I am trying to have Google Chrome as my default browser for everything, I currently see that Edge Deflector and Nomoreedge no longer works, is there a settings way to ensure that my search bar will go to Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge? how can I ensure that I...
  10. How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i make the cortana search bar, and the windows search bar at the bottom left of the...: hello, I am trying to have Google Chrome as my default browser for everything, I currently see that Edge Deflector and Nomoreedge no longer works, is there a settings way to ensure that my search bar will go to Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge? how can I ensure that I...