Windows 10: Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode

Discus and support Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, This is my first post here. Just joined TenForums. I`m having a problem trying to install W10 in UEFI mode. It keeps installing in Legacy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NotEnoughRage, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode

Hello,

This is my first post here. Just joined TenForums.
    I`m having a problem trying to install W10 in UEFI mode. It keeps installing in Legacy mode. Is there a setting that needs to be changed in the UEFI BIOS?
    Also it takes too long for the PC to finish POST. It takes more than 2 minutes from start up to Windows screen.

Thanks

BTW, This is a new clean install on a new PC build. I am installing W10 from a licensed disc. I have set the boot priorty to the BD player in BIOS. But, there is no UEFI boot to choose on the BD player drive.

:)

NotEnoughRage, Jul 29, 2016
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

stuck on device driver error

Hi!

Your BIOS mode is set to UEFI. Your BIOS Version/Date is A01 2014. Dell should have an update for your bios. But changing the BIOS Mode to Legacy may help with the error.

To enter W10 boot option hold shift down while clicking restart. This is installed to UEFI chip by Windows. I do not use UEFI mode because of driver issues. So I do not know my way around W10 boot option.

To disable UEFI mode, fast start has to be disabled so you can enter the dell bios setup with F2 or Del.

Teddy2016, Jul 29, 2016
  3. P.V.Cube Win User
    Cannot find the option to enable intel vt-x in Windows 10

Based solely on my installation (via upgrade + clean install) of W10 on UEFI and non-UEFI bios pc's: The option to enter UEFI settings via Advanced Startup only appears when W10 has been properly installed as UEFI- more specifically- if you reinstall W10
    via usb meda- the UEFI INSTALLATION option should be selected (vs other compatibility choices) to ensure UEFI is retained.

P.V.Cube, Jul 29, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode

• Connect only the HD/SSD that you are going to install Windows. Disconnect the rest
    • Set BIOS for UEFI ==> disable CSM. Also disable Secure Boot.
    • Use F8 to access boot menu, there are 2 modes to boot from the installation media (USB/DVD). One prefix with UEFI, select it to boot from.
    • Once booted. hold SHIFT+F10 to open Command prompt, type:
      diskpart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
    • Continue with installation, select Customize, select the unallocated partition (do not format), click next to install...

EDIT: Just noticed that you did not have the option to select UEFI from the DVD. You can download the ISO from: Windows 10 Download
    and use: Rufus - Create bootable USB to create a bootable USB.

topgundcp, Jul 29, 2016
  5. Do you know where I can disable Secure Boot?
    In the Boot Tab, then under Boot/Secure Boot, it only gives the option to change OS Type. Either Windows UEFI mode, or Other OS.

6. So, the DVD is the problem and not the UEFI BIOS settings?
    That is strange. I don`t understand why that would matter?
    Will I be charged again for the software by downloading to a USB?

7. topgundcp Win User
    No, you won't be charged for downloading it.
    I don't have your MB so I don't where you can disable secure boot. Secure boot is available only with CSM disabled ie. UEFI only.
    NOTE: When creating a bootable USB installation, format with FAT32.

topgundcp, Jul 29, 2016
  8. hotkey Win User

You do not need to disable Secure Boot if you install Windows 8/10 in UEFI mode.

EDIT:

The Asus motherboard default UEFI firmware settings.

Windows 8/10 64-bit will be able to be installed successfully in UEFI mode.

CSM (Compatibility Support Module) > Launch CSM
    - [Auto]: The system automatically detects the bootable devices and the add-on devices.
    - [Enabled]: For better compatibility, enable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or the Windows UEFI mode.
    - [Disabled]: Disable the CSM to fully support the Windows Security Update and Security Boot.

Secure Boot > OS Type
    - [Windows UEFI Mode]: Execute the Microsoft Secure Boot check. Only select this option when booting on Windows UEFI mode or other Microsoft Secure Boot compliant OS.
    - [Other OS]: Get the optimized function when booting on Windows non-UEFI mode, Windows Vista/XP, or other Microsoft Secure Boot non-compliant OS.

hotkey, Jul 30, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

True. W10/8 are Secure boot aware.

But OP definitely has to disable CSM (Compatibility Mode) or W10 will invariably install in legacy\bios mode.

Installing from DVD should not be a problem either unless it was not burned correctly.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 30, 2016
  10. hotkey Win User
    You do not need to change the boot order of drives in your UEFI firmware settings.

https://technet.microsoft.com/fi-fi/...or=-2147217396

hotkey, Jul 30, 2016
  11. Note

You might see separate commands for the same device. For example, you might see UEFI USB Drive and BIOS USB Drive. Each command uses the same device and media, but boots the PC in a different firmware mode.

That is where the problem is. None of the devices have UEFI commands.
    Some of you have different opinions about disabling CSM. But, I `ll try disabling it and see if a UEFI command comes up.
    The settings that hotkey described are the default settings on my MB.

NotEnoughRage, Jul 30, 2016
  12. When disabling CSM, the Boot Option Priorities and the Boot Override are turned off. The drive descriptions and priorities do not show on BIOS screen.

Will W10 be re=installed in UEFI this time? There is still no option to choose UEFI.

Update: I was browsing around the BIOS and I looked at the Secure Erase under the Tool Menu. The status of my SSD says frozen. (I did not use the secure erase function) *Eek

13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

For as long as CSM is enabled Windows will install in legacy/bios mode. There is no such thing as a UEFI command really unless you're actually coding it.

Step 1: Enter bios and disable CSM

Step 2: Insert the install DVD

Step 3: save changes in bios and reset.

Step 4: toggle the key to invoke the bootmenu. (F8?) and select booting from dvd/bd whatever it is.

Windows setup should now launch. When arrived at the point to select a clean install select that and delete all partitions except you data partition(s) if any.
    Windows will then continue to create all system partition for you. If it complains the partitions may not be in the preferred order, ignore it and continue.

Let it finish et voila, you now should have a UEFI installed system.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 30, 2016
  14. fdegrove;

I`ll try it.

Update: I was browsing around the BIOS and I looked at the Secure Erase under the Tool Menu. The status of my SSD says frozen. (I did not use the secure erase function) *Eek

15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Shut down the puter and unplug it. Wait for a few minutes and try again.

Cheers, *Wink

P.S. Off to bed now. Best of luck.

fdegrove, Jul 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode - Similar Threads - Install W10 UEFI

2. BIOS MODE UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS MODE UEFI: MY PC DOES NOT SUPPORT BIOS MODE UEFI HOW TO SUPPORT THE UEFI IN MY PC INSPIRON 15 5558 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-mode-uefi/ac6086ce-66ea-4ac5-a024-1fecbf1aa88a
  3. UEFI Boot Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    UEFI Boot Mode: A year or so ago, I had a software kaboom in my Dell All in 1. It required that I switch to legacy boot mode, and then restart in Safe mode to get it going again. I have, some time ago tried to get UEFI boot mode back on but it did not work. Now I see the Win 11 will require...
  4. Clean install in UEFI mode

Clean install in UEFI mode: Hi I am about to receive the bits to upgrade my husbands PC from a simple desktop machine to what the PC Gamer site assures me is a high end gaming machine. However, in the process I want to take the opportunity of also upgrading to a UEFI system from MBR but I'm a little...
  5. Problems with installing Windows 10 in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems with installing Windows 10 in UEFI mode: Hi! I've been using this guide to install Windows, but my PC can't detect USB in UEFI mode, only in Legacy. What should I do? I've already tried rewriting the USB. submitted by /u/namiiniuk [link] [comments]...
  6. Can't install w10 update, UEFI error?

Can't install w10 update, UEFI error?: So, I have Windows 10 already installed on my PC. I upgraded it last Summer from Windows 7 for free. I've been trying to update it for the past 6 weeks but keep getting the error: "Windows 10 couldn't be installed. Windows can't be installed because this PC has an...
  7. Enabling UEFI Mode AFTER clean install of Win10?

Enabling UEFI Mode AFTER clean install of Win10?: I already did a clean install of Win10 on my Dell laptop which does seem to support UEFI mode when I went through the BIOS setup screen. My current BIOS setup is using the Legacy BIOS mode. My question is, if I do decide to enable UEFI with Secure Boot, will I need to...
  8. Install Windows 10 in Uefi Mode.

Install Windows 10 in Uefi Mode.: I am wondering if I can install windows 10 creator's update on my new hp laptop, I have it on usb, in uefi mode. The reason I ask is that my older laptop, also an hp did not allow me to install via eufi, but in legacy only. I think it has something to do with oem windows...
  9. W10 install in UEFI mode

W10 install in UEFI mode: When I receive the Windows 10 download on July 29th or whenever they send it to me, I want to install it in UEFI mode. I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit currently and it is installed in BIOS mode. (Long story, I've never been willing to clean install after I had W8.1 up and...
  10. How can I install w10 in uefi mode

How can I install w10 in uefi mode: Hi guys, I made a mess installing w10 in legacy bios mode, while I saw already running w8 in uefi mode. I'm actually on a w10 system with legacy bios mode. How can I install w10 in uefi mode, if bios won't start the installation of w10 using an usb with iso of w10 mounted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install w10in lenovo laptop from usb