Windows 10: Can not open Windows settings and default apps

Discus and support Can not open Windows settings and default apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, today i have updated from W7 to W10 on my Lenovo Z580. Now I can not open settings and Windows10 apps like Calendar, Edge,... (and calculator as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by draw, Aug 8, 2015.

1. draw Win User

Can not open Windows settings and default apps

Hi,
    today i have updated from W7 to W10 on my Lenovo Z580. Now I can not open settings and Windows10 apps like Calendar, Edge,... (and calculator as well - "Explorer.exe element not found"). Tried Emerging Issue 67758 fix but it didnt find any issue. Can you please help me?

:)

draw, Aug 8, 2015

2. Latest W10 Update leaves me unable to set a default browser

Workaround:

In the Default Apps window, click "Set defaults by app". This opens the classic Default Programs window from where you can set the defaults.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 8, 2015
  3. PH_2000 Win User
    Windows 10 default apps settings

PH_2000, Aug 8, 2015
  4. colsearle Win User

I just had the same experience with a Lenovo Idealpad Z575. I opened Lenovo Onekey Theatre from the system tray and first changed it to normal mode before uninstalling it.

It was the culprit in my case, Messing with the graphics in some way. I tried the Microsoft fix without success.

Please post back if it fixes the issue for you.

colsearle, Aug 9, 2015
  5. draw Win User
    I have successfuly turned Lenovo OneKey Theater to normal but I cant uninstal it. (it does not appear in 'uninstal programs')

Moreover, 'Synaptics TouchPad 64-bit Enhancements has stopped working' alert appeared, making my work very uncomfortable. (window is not active every 3-5seconds).

Is there some way to get back my Win7 please?

6. colsearle Win User
    Download and install Lenovo Onekey Theatre

Lenovo Onekey Theater for Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Z575 - Lenovo Support (US)

Lenovo Onekey Theater for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Z460, Z560 - Lenovo Support (US)

After installing it should be listed in add/remove programs for removal.

If you want to try going back to 7 hold shift as you click restrart and go though advanced recovery options. The Lenovo I worked on said it was unable to return to 7. Your Synaptics problems are easily fixed, See how you get on first.

colsearle, Aug 14, 2015
  7. I am running Windows 10 Home on an HP Pavilion dv6 and am having the same problems. I am unable to open any settings menu and none of the newly installed Windows Native apps will open. The error I receive is "Explorer.exe Element Not Found". Any help would be appreciated.

koconnor0311, Aug 19, 2015
  8. Can not open Windows settings and default apps

Thanks for putting me on to Lenovo's One Key Theater as the culprit. Also tried the emerging issue 67758 fix, but no go. I went to the Lenovo folder in ProgFiles x86, found the one key theater folder, and renamed onekeystudio.exe to onekeystudioexe.old. Rebooted and viola, win 10 settings function starts right up. Lenovo and their quirky proprietary programs. grrrrrrr

larryvogel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can not open Windows settings and default apps - Similar Threads - open settings default

2. Windows Mail app - can default settings be modified?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Mail app - can default settings be modified?: Microsoft Mail is on laptop running Windows 10To print an email, I:Select print.The Mail Print User Interface comes up. The UI allows me to ModifyPrinterOrientationCopiesPagesDuplex printingPaper sizeMore settings are available to meHit print button - success!Printing Duplex...
  3. Windows Mail app - can default settings be modified?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail app - can default settings be modified?: Microsoft Mail is on laptop running Windows 10To print an email, I:Select print.The Mail Print User Interface comes up. The UI allows me to ModifyPrinterOrientationCopiesPagesDuplex printingPaper sizeMore settings are available to meHit print button - success!Printing Duplex...
  4. Windows default apps not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows default apps not opening: I reset my password and re named my account by doing these steps windows +r control userpasswords2 clicked on profile properties changed username, clicked off clicked reset password, and clicked apply and then ok right after i tried opening setting to change my lockscreen,...
  5. Setting a Default App . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting a Default App . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10 Pro. The browsers, I have installed are: 1. Internet Explorer 2. Google Chrome 3. Mozilla Firefox 4. Comodo IceDragon Everything, I open. Movies email, etc. Uses, Internet Explorer. I don't even like,...
  6. Can not open Apps in Settings

Can not open Apps in Settings: Hi all, I got a new laptop with Windows 10 installed. Everything is working fine except for I can not open the Apps feature in Settings. Every time I click on it, nothing happens and the Apps window just disappears right away. Have anyone got this issue before and how did...
  7. I want to set the Default App TO The blanked DEFAULT.. NO APP can open this file.. PICK...

I want to set the Default App TO The blanked DEFAULT.. NO APP can open this file.. PICK...: People in Windows NT 5 Pro one could set the default file to APP association to nothing.. as in NULL or NULLITES. ZIPPO NO association to any app on this file extension. So Do people have to create a HACKER Black book on how to do this.....
  8. Can't set default apps to open filetypes

Can't set default apps to open filetypes: It is completely impossible for me to change or set a default program for any files. The "Open With" window doesn't function and the "Choose default apps by file type" just freezes and doesn't change any time I set a default program....
  9. default app setting

default app setting: Good day ! I am unable to set Google Chrome as a default browser on my PC with windows 10. Is automatically set to Microsoft Edge and all attempts to change it to other type are in. Please help me to resolve this issue. Regards, J.M.Bhuskute...
  10. Setting defaults by app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting defaults by app: I need help to understand how do set ALL supported file formats to associated app. In Settings > Default Apps > Defaults by app > APP > Manage I get overlong list of file formats, most of them unassociated. I don't find any method how to select them all and assign them to...