Windows 10: Can not perform a system recovery because "you must specify which Windows installation to...

Discus and support Can not perform a system recovery because "you must specify which Windows installation to... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I need to perform a system recovery because I was foolish enough to follow the support advice on this page:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChristopherDe Ieso, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Can not perform a system recovery because "you must specify which Windows installation to...

Hi,

I need to perform a system recovery because I was foolish enough to follow the support advice on this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...tioning-correctly-when-multiple-devices-conne and uninstalled the USB root hub. However when I reset my PC Windows failed to reinstall the usb hub, leaving me without any working USB ports once windows boots.

So I went to this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 on my laptop, and created a boot drive on a USB, I then went into my PC's bios and changed the boot drive to the usb port, restarted and launched the flash drive successfully.

I selected the language options and then chose the "repair" option on the bottom left corner of the screen.

I then chose the appropriate option to begin the system restore and encountered the following error:

"To use System Restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore."

This is impossible to do as there is no method of "choosing installation" besides which there is only windows 10 on the USB. My PC is running Windows 10 pro.

I am now creating another flash drive in case the usb is at fault, but I am fast running out of options.

:)

ChristopherDe Ieso, Aug 13, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 13, 2019
  3. dually Win User
    Installing Drivers in Recovery M4 SSD

I can't seem to figure out how to install drivers so that can copy my system image to new laptop hard drive. I went as far as to install a new inactivated windows 7 onto the hard drive so I know it works, but when I point recovery at C:\Windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys, I got an error something along the lines of "not relevant to system hardware" (or something like that I forget the exact wording).

I can list the drive in diskpart, and I made sure it is not excluded for copying the image, but after 3 days of fiddling, I still can't get it to work. Where is the driver that I need for recovery to be able to install an image to the new hard drive? I checked crucial website, but they don't seem to list drivers for M4. I assume that since I was able to install a fresh inactivated Windows 7 from a startup disk that the driver I need would be somewhere in that system so maybe I'm just pointing recovery at the wrong file?

dually, Aug 13, 2019
  4. Carl2 Win User

Can not perform a system recovery because "you must specify which Windows installation to...

System Recovery on Different HardDrive

I have a Gateway computer FX6801 that I made recovery disks for, I had also ordered recovery disks from Gateway. The recovery disk's specified which hard drive Windows would be placed in. To get around this I had to use TrueImage to put the operating system on another drive. To be safe you could order a hard drive which is the same model number.
    Carl

Carl2, Aug 13, 2019
Thema:

Can not perform a system recovery because "you must specify which Windows installation to...

1. Can not perform a system recovery because "you must specify which Windows installation to... - Similar Threads - perform system recovery

2. "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC" "To ise system restore you must specify which...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC" "To ise system restore you must specify which...: I'm Najib, I'm using Windows 11 on Lenovo V15 Gen2, the cursor just stopped working. In an effort to ring that back, I couldn't even insert my PIN to unlock ut, the error shown is "Something happened and your PIN isn't available". I tried resetting the PC through boot...
  3. "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC" "To ise system restore you must specify which...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC" "To ise system restore you must specify which...: I'm Najib, I'm using Windows 11 on Lenovo V15 Gen2, the cursor just stopped working. In an effort to ring that back, I couldn't even insert my PIN to unlock ut, the error shown is "Something happened and your PIN isn't available". I tried resetting the PC through boot...
  4. Can't performed the specified re-install of Window11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't performed the specified re-install of Window11: Background: I'm running: Edition Windows 11 Home Version 21H2 Installed on 2/‎1/‎2021 OS build 22000.1042 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1042.0 The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 13 5310 that I purchased late in 2021. It also has a HP OfficeJet Pro 8710...
  5. Can't performed the specified re-install of Window11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't performed the specified re-install of Window11: Background: I'm running: Edition Windows 11 Home Version 21H2 Installed on 2/‎1/‎2021 OS build 22000.1042 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1042.0 The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 13 5310 that I purchased late in 2021. It also has a HP OfficeJet Pro 8710...
  6. Impossible to complete Recovery system. Error not specified 0x80071ac5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Impossible to complete Recovery system. Error not specified 0x80071ac5: Hi,Microsoft assistance has tried a recovery system operation to solve an issue for my Usb webcam device that wasn't recognize, but the recovery system hasn't been completed, it shows always this error after the recovery operation : After this error I have remove one OneDrive...
  7. You must install .NET 3.5 ?!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    You must install .NET 3.5 ?!: Hello Guys, I had recently come across a strange problem: When ever I tried to Install 'Virtual-Tablet-Server' on my PC, it doesn't even install, it quits with a message saying "You must install .NET 3.5", even though I have had install .NET twice in my PC Uninstalled and...
  8. Windows Performance Analyzer helps you analyze performance of a system

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Performance Analyzer helps you analyze performance of a system: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this fast-paced world, delays as small as a second can impact business metrics. So, a thorough analysis of performance characteristics likely causing these delays is essential. Windows Performance Analyzer offers valuable information in this regard. The...
  9. To use System Restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore

in Windows 10 News
    To use System Restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]There are situations where you need to perform the System Restore operation. But at times you may face an error – To use System Restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore. This error is caused due to corrupted [...] This post To use...
  10. Can you specify which screen to use when starting apps?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can you specify which screen to use when starting apps?: I use four monitors on my system. Win 10 Pro x64 (actually every version of Windows) seems to start apps in the last monitor the app was closed in. I would rather specify which monitor to start an app in. Has anyone discovered how to do this? 19507