Windows 10: Can not remove a pdf from my win10 desktop - solution?

Discus and support Can not remove a pdf from my win10 desktop - solution? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; HelloI had a pdf that I couldn't delete. I followed another thread that had suggested solutions, but they didn't work.I was able to get rid of the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jonathan Newell1, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Can not remove a pdf from my win10 desktop - solution?

HelloI had a pdf that I couldn't delete. I followed another thread that had suggested solutions, but they didn't work.I was able to get rid of the file by using Mcafee file shredder.Hope this helps others.

:)

Jonathan Newell1, Sep 22, 2022

2. can't remove a pdf from my win10 desktop

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

We would suggest you to perform these steps and check.

Step 1:
    Turn off Preview pane in Windows Explorer

1. Open File Explorer, Click on View tab.

2. Click on Preview option to hide or close
    3. Click on Desktop from the Navigation pane. Then try deleting the file.

Step 2: Check the default PDF application

1. Press Windows + I key to launch Windows Settings.

2. Click on Apps and select Default apps from the left pane.

3. Now scroll down and click on Choose default apps by file type.

4. Scroll and look for .pdf, .pdxml, and .pdx file type, then click on the + sign to change it to Edge.
    5. Then close Settings and try
      deleting the file.

Step 3: If the default app for PDF is Adobe Reader.

1. Open Adobe Reader. Go to Edit.

2. Choose Preferences.

3. From the Categories on the left, select Security (Enhanced).

4. Uncheck the Enable Enhanced Security option.
    5. Try
      deleting the file

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Sep 22, 2022
  3. Aug98 Win User
    can't remove a pdf from my win10 desktop

Hi there,

In answer to your questions in the order you've written them:

• What is the Windows 10 Version and Build installed? (Type winver in Windows search/Run command)
      WINDOWS10 HOME os 18363.778
    • What happens when you try to delete the file?
      It remains on desktop (no errors are give
      )
    • Where is the file saved? My desktop
    • Are you able to delete other files from the same location? YES (tried delete and shift to no avail)

If the issue persists, then we would suggest you to refer these steps and check.
      1. Right click on the file you are trying to delete.
      2. Select Properties from the drop down.
      3. Now click on Security tab. Click on Edit.
      4. Check if your user account listed. If not then click on Add and enter your user account. Click Ok.
      5. If the account is listed, then select your account and check all the boxes under allow.
      1. Click Ok and relaunch File Explorer and check if you are able to copy the file
    This didn't work either

I followed your directions re: cmd and after I found the file to DEL the reply was: "The system cannot find the path specified". I did find the pdf file by hitting tab until it appeared but it still cannot 'find' it. I have tried
    a few types of cmd (under Administrator) and it still does not work.

Can you offer any more suggestions?

Thank you

Beth

Aug98, Sep 22, 2022
  4. Can not remove a pdf from my win10 desktop - solution?

can't remove a pdf from my win10 desktop

Hi,

We were checking on this issue and we would like you to know some more information on this.

• Did you try moving the file to a different location and then delete it?
    • When you renamed the file, did you renamed it to a generic type like Test.pdf/file.pdf and then tried to delete it?
    • Where did you create this PDF file or downloaded online?

We would suggest you to move the PDF file to a different location and then try deleting it.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Sep 22, 2022
Thema:

Can not remove a pdf from my win10 desktop - solution?

1. Can not remove a pdf from my win10 desktop - solution? - Similar Threads - remove pdf win10

2. Can not remove a pdf from my win10 desktop - solution?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not remove a pdf from my win10 desktop - solution?: HelloI had a pdf that I couldn't delete. I followed another thread that had suggested solutions, but they didn't work.I was able to get rid of the file by using Mcafee file shredder.Hope this helps others....
  3. Can not remove a pdf from my win10 desktop - solution?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not remove a pdf from my win10 desktop - solution?: HelloI had a pdf that I couldn't delete. I followed another thread that had suggested solutions, but they didn't work.I was able to get rid of the file by using Mcafee file shredder.Hope this helps others....
  4. remove watermark from pdf document

remove watermark from pdf document: remove watermark from pdf document https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-watermark-from-pdf-document/9c14cfd2-882f-42c7-b738-f915dcd0df02
  5. remove watermark from pdf document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove watermark from pdf document: remove watermark from pdf document https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-watermark-from-pdf-document/9c14cfd2-882f-42c7-b738-f915dcd0df02
  6. A PDF file bugged and I can´t delete it from the desktop

A PDF file bugged and I can´t delete it from the desktop: For some reason I can't get rid of this PDF file. I'm still not sure what's the problem, but I can't delete or chage the file name. Also, as the image shows, the amount of characters in the filename exceeds the maximum characters a file can have, I don't know if this has to...
  7. can't remove a pdf from my win10 desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't remove a pdf from my win10 desktop: Hi there, I have a pdf file saved with symbols in it's name and i can't delete. I followed all of the recommendations in a similar post to no avail. I have tried: Safe mode Del + Shift Win Explorer Alt+P Renaming Cmd tells me it can't find the file I am deleting. I have...
  8. Removing a file from my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing a file from my desktop: a file has shown up on my desktop and it cannot be removed. file:///C:/Users/artte/OneDrive/Desktop/BETTEM~1.PDF Have no idea how it got there and unable to remove it. Any help appreciated...
  9. .pdf icon cannot be removed from the desktop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    .pdf icon cannot be removed from the desktop: From a web page I saved as a .pdf,now I have the icon on the desktop. But,I cannot remove it,open or rename this icon. I tried to move it to the recycle bin but nothing happens. I'm not an expert at all. Can,please,someone help me. Thank you 130314
  10. Cannot Delete PDF from Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Delete PDF from Desktop: I have tried the following: -Restarting my computer -Turning off the preview pane -Pressing shift+delete -Punching my screen -Snapping my fingers -Wiggling my nose -Putting tape on the screen to cover the file -Yelling at my computer -Closing my eyes -Calling my IT...