Windows 10: Can not remove the "Read only property"

Discus and support Can not remove the "Read only property" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Today when I tried to modify tags in my music library, I found that it couldn't write the tags. So I checked the properties of it. Under the General... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ezra Johns, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Can not remove the "Read only property"

Today when I tried to modify tags in my music library, I found that it couldn't write the tags. So I checked the properties of it. Under the General tab the "read only " property had a tick in front.

Can not remove the "Read only property" 18ef485d-6cea-46f4-8640-d89a4a2510f9?upload=true.png

I removed it and clicked on apply.

Can not remove the "Read only property" ddfc35a5-d464-472d-82ce-51b4b78aa512?upload=true.png

Then a new window displayed saying Confirm Attribute changes.

Can not remove the "Read only property" 00a5ab08-d2c5-45d6-911b-c9118ee412d2?upload=true.png

I selected "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files.

Then another one poped up saying" Access denied".

I don't know why I need administrator permission, because I downloaded it today and in the security my name is listed as the owner.

Can not remove the "Read only property" 73c6c9ff-9ee6-4a3d-b829-bda1fd89e049?upload=true.png

I selected continue but another error occured saying'An error occured while applying attributes to the file. "

Can not remove the "Read only property" 43b6d379-6b4e-405c-8805-5d691b71161a?upload=true.png

I selectef Ignore but another similar one poped up. After clicking Ignore for it another one poped up saying the same message. I selected "Ignore" for several times but as there were a lot, I selected "Ignore All".

Then another one said "applying changes to the file" or something , I don't quite know, because it poped up and disappeared within few seconds.

Then I checked the properties of that file again, but nothing had changed.

Can not remove the "Read only property" 38dbb996-6bd5-4219-b4bb-ad025568c76f?upload=true.png

I tried the above steps for about several times but the error didn't resolve.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me in this.

Thank you.

:)

Ezra Johns, Feb 20, 2021

2. Unable to remove read only property of folders

Hi,

There are many possible reasons why this issue is happening. Let's try to change the security permissions to remove the read-only attribute. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click the folder, then select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab, then click Advanced.
    • Click Change to the right of Owner.
    • Enter Users into the box, then click OK.
    • Enable the checkbox Replace owner on sub containers and objects, then click
      Apply.
    • If prompted that You do not have permissions to read, click Yes.
    • Completely close out of the Advanced Security Settings dialog.
    • Repeat step 1.
    • Go to Security tab, then click Edit.
    • Select Add.
    • Enter Users into the box and click OK.
    • Enable the Full Control checkbox, then click OK.
    Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Martin Bar, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Arcana530 Win User
    Cannot remove Read-Only property on files

Hi all,

I'm facing an issue about my files, they had all turned into read-only, I'm not sure if this caused by the win10 update or the virus as I notice after the win 10 update in these few days.

Currently, I can still delete my files(even if the files with read-only property), but the read-only property keeps on the folders and some document.

What it affect me the most is that I cannot my changes cannot apply to the files if I edit it by opening them from another program.

I tried several ways to solve it, but mow the situation become strange. I tried to remove the property by "right click> property> cancel the tick on the read-only option> apply", this will show you it removed the property , but if you close
    the property windows and reopen again, you'll see the read-only label is still exist.

I tried to solve it from cmd using command "attrib -r (file name)", the cmd will then tell you the property is removed even if you close it and reopen it to check, but it is still the same situation outside the cmd, "right click>
    property
    " show you the same read-only label.

I'm using kaspersky 2019, it didn't report me any virus about this.

Can anyone give me some suggestions please?

Many thanks for all your help.

Arcana530, Feb 20, 2021
  4. Marie Ave Win User

Can not remove the "Read only property"

Remove read only from files

Hi,

Read-only is a file attribute, or a characteristic that the operating system assigns to a file. Files can be only opened or read with this attribute active. You cannot delete, change, or rename any file that’s been flagged as read-only.

To change the read-only attribute, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the file or folder icon that you wanted to modify.

• Remove the check mark by the Read-Only item in the file’s
      Properties
      dialog box.

The attributes are found at the bottom of the General tab.

• Click Apply then OK.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Marie Ave, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

Can not remove the "Read only property"

1. Can not remove the "Read only property" - Similar Threads - remove Read property

2. can not remove read-only property from usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can not remove read-only property from usb flash drive: I have used a usb flash drive to recover windows 10 on my old pc, however the installation of the windows boot on said key couldn't get to completion, most likely due to a network error while downloading the windows ISO image. I have attempted re-doing the process but I was...
  3. can not remove read-only property from usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can not remove read-only property from usb flash drive: I have used a usb flash drive to recover windows 10 on my old pc, however the installation of the windows boot on said key couldn't get to completion, most likely due to a network error while downloading the windows ISO image. I have attempted re-doing the process but I was...
  4. can not remove read-only property from usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot remove read only property from google drive folder: Close dialogue box read only is still there. I literally cannot move the files.I also cannot copy from this folder.I https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-property-from-google-drive/d27e458e-d05b-4392-a411-c6eca28dac63
  6. File Properties - Read Only Checkbox

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Properties - Read Only Checkbox: I'm considering ticking the read only checkbox on a file and just wanted to get an idea of what it does exactly. Like is the file completely read only to everyone(administrators and system included) until someone unchecks the box? submitted by /u/Shaqnothot [link]...
  7. remove READ ONLY

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove READ ONLY: PLEASE How do I get read only off of my pictures on OneDrive. If I can't see them, I don't need OneDrive. I have changed attribute multiple times and Microsoft keeps changing MY PICTURES back to READ ONLY attribute. This is more than annoying. Microsoft controls my files,...
  8. Read-only file/folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Read-only file/folder properties: As a long-time user of Windows OS in all its iterations, what I'm going to ask y'all has me totally stumped. I've looked on-line for solutions but have not found anything definitive. I apologize if anything like what I'm going to describe has been asked/answered; I only...
  9. Error 0xC00D3E8E: The property is read only

in Windows 10 News
    Error 0xC00D3E8E: The property is read only: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]It is very painful to encounter error 0xC00D3E8E while moving a file from one location to another on a Windows 10 computer. There can be a number of reasons for this error and they are hard to guess – but the main [...] This post Error 0xC00D3E8E: The...
  10. File Properties question, "read only"

in Windows 10 Support
    File Properties question, "read only": Most any folder you right click on and select 'properties' will give you a list of that folder's attributes. One of them always says: Read-only (Only applies to files in folder) I've never been able to figure out what that means. The files in the folder I'm investigating...