Windows 10: Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I am having an issue. It is nothing really more of an annoyance. After recent Anniversary Update for windows 10. I could not run any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by edwardduong, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10

Hi everyone,

I am having an issue. It is nothing really more of an annoyance. After recent Anniversary Update for windows 10. I could not run any executables files straight from any external devices. However, I could view, delete, copy, cut those files just fine. At first I thought it might be because of the recent update to security included in Anniversary Update that might have reset permissions on all external device so I went ahead and give myself full permission but still no go *Sad

So for now if I want to run any files in external device I have to copy them to the local hard disk and then run. I am wondering what might be the cause of this? Is there a way to fix this behavior?

Thank you.

:)

edwardduong, Aug 27, 2016

2. File Transfer Issue Between 10 and 8.1 and external drive.

1.) I have an external drive which I used to backup all files from Windows 8.1 OEM. I can move these files back and forth on that OS and everything is fine.

2.) I used this same external drive to backup all files from Windows 10 OS. I can move these files back and forth on that OS.

Problem:

The files on the external drive placed on there by Windows 8.1 OEM is either not seen by Windows 10 OS, or is not accessible when seen. The folders are classed as corrupted.

Also, the files on the external drive placed on there by Windows 10 is not viewable at all by Windows 8.1 OEM.

I have never had this issue before and have no idea on how to fix this. Again, I can move the files from the external drive to the respective OS that placed them there in the first place, but I cannot access the same files from the other OS. There is
    nothing wrong with the external drive.

The only change made was that I used (quick) format from Windows 8.1 OEM to start fresh with the external drive.

The drive used is: Toshiba 1 TB External HDD.

Forge123014, Aug 27, 2016
  3. fjcamry Win User
    Can't make a recovery image on my external back up drive

What I attempted to do was to change the system back up to my internal storage drive Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10 :D instead of the external HD. It created a recovery image to the Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10 :D drive. I then deleted the windows image drive on my external drive from the windows 7 days. I transferred
    a copy of the windows image file from the Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10 :D drive to the windows image file folder in the external drive. This kept a current back up window image file in the external hd.

Next I went to the windows recovery and back up option in windows 10. I changed the back up drive location from the Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10 :D drive back to the external hd. Now running the windows back up works successfully and put a recovery image and back up files to the external
    hd.

fjcamry, Aug 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  5. Hi dalchina, Thank you for replying so quick. The error message is "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item" I tried disable, uninstall KIS still no go. Tried it today on another PC with fresh install of Windows 10 then update to Anniversary Update. BAM!! this annoying error. *Sad

edwardduong, Aug 27, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, can you launch an exe on an optical disk?
    See
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. - Page 3 - Windows 7 Help Forums
    for an example of well-directed attempts to solve this.. without resolution. This does appear to show what probably won't work.

What we need is a solved example. If there are any.

Have a look at your registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\RemovableStorageDevices

Can you post a screenshot of what you see?

(Notes:
    The same restriction can be set using the registry by creating Deny_All key of Dword-type with the value 00000001
    http://woshub.com/how-to-disable-usb...-group-policy/

)

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  7. altae Win User
    Is the mentioned "external device" a NAS or any other, Linux based server? If that's the case you need to grant yourself execution rights. This has to be done on the device itself, not under Windows. If it's a NAS you should be able to do this on the UI (usually a website) where you configure the device.

altae, Aug 28, 2016
  8. Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10

Thanks guys for your reply. Really busy the last few days so could not reply promptly, so sorry about that. Anyway
    @altae no it is not a NAS or Linux based server. It is my personal laptop but thank you for your input.
    @dalchina yes i can run executables from CD/DVD drive just fine. Attached is the screenshot of Registry hive.
    Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10 [​IMG]

edwardduong, Aug 30, 2016
  9. batlhilz Win User
    batlhilz, Aug 30, 2016
  10. Hi guys,

@ bathhilz I already did that it is still does not work.

Anyway thanks guys for your input. Really appreciate it. I guess i will have to do an extra step from now on if i wanted to run executable from external drive from now on.

*Biggrin

edwardduong, Sep 2, 2016
  11. swarfega Win User
    Maybe its a security feature of Windows that doesn't allow you to run exe files from external sources.

Copy the exe to a folder on your PC then try running it.

If the properties tab has a tickbox for unblock tick that before running it.

swarfega, Sep 2, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    I can confirm I can launch, for example, an installation using a .exe file on a flash drive - build 1607. (At present I have UAC on).

dalchina, Sep 2, 2016
  13. samerlias Win User

anyone solved this guys? I am facing it since I updated to the new windows 10 creators update and it is driving me crazy! I tried the registry and group policy and NTFS permissions with no result... still the same... can do everything on my external drive except running excutables from it... if I copy the file to my local drive then I can run it normaly.

samerlias, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - run executable files

2. If my computer is not capable of running windows 11 can it be run from an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If my computer is not capable of running windows 11 can it be run from an external hard drive?: If my computer is not capable of running windows 11 can it be run from an external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-my-computer-is-not-capable-of-running-windows/06113749-f78f-419a-9537-37360a784fe3
  3. If my computer is not capable of running windows 11 can it be run from an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If my computer is not capable of running windows 11 can it be run from an external hard drive?: If my computer is not capable of running windows 11 can it be run from an external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-my-computer-is-not-capable-of-running-windows/06113749-f78f-419a-9537-37360a784fe3
  4. can not copy files to external drive

can not copy files to external drive: I need to copy folders with the included files from my hard drive to an external drive. This is for safe keeping. I can copy the folders but the files are not copied over....
  5. Can Not Execute File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Not Execute File: I have downloaded a file onto my computer and it won't let me open it. I have tried many different YouTube videos and none of them seem to have the same problem I d. How do I fix this? I will provide a screenshot below. Any suggestions would be very helpful....
  6. Can Not Execute File

Can Not Execute File: I have downloaded a file onto my computer and it won't let me open it. I have tried many different YouTube videos and none of them seem to have the same problem I d. How do I fix this? I will provide a screenshot below. Any suggestions would be very helpful....
  7. Running windows from external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running windows from external hard drive: Hi My laptop's motherboard has broken or failed. Now I want to take my data and export setting of some programslike android studio from hard drive. Is it possible to boot my new laptop in boot menu from my dead laptop's hard drive as external hard drive?...
  8. Executable file not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Executable file not running: Hi, I have the following problem: Few months ago I wrote a python program that I converted with pyinstaller to an executable file. The .exe file ran smoothly. I got myself a new laptop and wanted to try the program, unfortunately I cannot start the program. Things I've...
  9. How to run Windows 10 from external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to run Windows 10 from external hard drive?: How to run Windows 10 from external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-run-windows-10-from-external-hard-drive/bce57bfe-33ec-4dd1-9e27-2101a005c2b4
  10. Can i run windows 10 on an external drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i run windows 10 on an external drive?: I’m trying to find out if its possible to boot windows 10 from an external drive on a laptop that has windows 10 already installed on an internal drive? Basically, my laptop has windows 10. But i installed windows 10 on an external drive so i can use it on my MacBook....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 2019 is not able to run executable