Windows 10: can not scan my PC using microsoft defender

Discus and support can not scan my PC using microsoft defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello all, my name is Cathy, but I prefer to be called cat. I am having a major problem. I am running windows 10 and once in awhile I like to scan my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Cathypetrice, Dec 10, 2020.

1. can not scan my PC using microsoft defender

Hello all,

my name is Cathy, but I prefer to be called cat. I am having a major problem. I am running windows 10 and once in awhile I like to scan my whole system with windows defender. Just to be safe. I have not done this in a while, so I went to start the advanced scan, and this message popped up at me, and I can't remember this word for word but it said something like "can not scan, the admin has limited access." Whatever that means. This is also happening with the quick scan as well. That's not word for word but you get the gist of it. I looked up how to fix it on google, and it looks like a computer whiz could do it maybe, but I am not a computer whiz. I really did not want to get another virus scanner because I have to use a screen reader and not all virus scanners work with that. I want to make sure my PC is protected and this virus scanner is not working. Also, it disappeared from the system tray to, maybe I closed it by mistake? I don't know. I really hope I don't have to recover this thing, that would be a nightmare! Anything you guys can suggest would be great, thanks.

:)

Cathypetrice, Dec 10, 2020

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Dec 10, 2020
  3. Brian Cab Win User
    Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Dec 10, 2020
  4. can not scan my PC using microsoft defender

Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

Restored the Macrium Image and got my Recovery partitions back:

can not scan my PC using microsoft defender [​IMG]

So as expected, I had a bunch of updates to do:

After the updates, I gave Microsoft Defender Offline a try and it worked!

And this just shows that I'm back at the latest version build of 20H2:

This one was my fault and I admit I was the culprit of my own troubles. It was just a coincidence that I used Partition Wizard around the same time the Cumulative Updates were going on from Oct 28th to November 11th and it gave me the suspicion to suspect them being responsible for the Offline scan problem.

I mean who the heck would of ever thought that a Recovery Partition would have anything to do with an Offline Scan in an Online world?

A special thanks to OldNavyGuy for his suggestion that a Windows Recovery Partition being deleted was the problem.

EyeInTheSky, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

can not scan my PC using microsoft defender

1. can not scan my PC using microsoft defender - Similar Threads - scan using microsoft

2. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender Offline Scan: So my PC can go into BIOS mode and be stuck there for some time even following some guidelines from the Internet. I was worried that my PC has a malware since when I opened an app it jitters and lags for a couple of seconds. When I looked into Microsoft Defender Offline Scan,...
  3. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Defender Offline Scan: So my PC can go into BIOS mode and be stuck there for some time even following some guidelines from the Internet. I was worried that my PC has a malware since when I opened an app it jitters and lags for a couple of seconds. When I looked into Microsoft Defender Offline Scan,...
  4. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Scan folder with Microsoft Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scan folder with Microsoft Defender: When I click the option for "Scan with Microsoft Defender" in Windows Explorer, this page pops up.Any idea why and what i can do about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/scan-folder-with-microsoft-defender/e4445960-b975-4018-ac55-94a3f3909771
  6. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

Microsoft Defender Offline Scan: I recently performed the offline scan to make sure my system is running well. I run it a few times but rather than it taking 10-15 minutes, the scan takes about maybe no more than 2 minutes to run before restarting again.So my question is, is it normal/okay for the offline...
  7. Microsoft defender offline scan didn't shut down my pc

Microsoft defender offline scan didn't shut down my pc: I recently got a trojan malware on my pc and I wanted to remove it or get some info about it by using windows defender offline scan. Anyways that's not what I'm here for, I'm here to ask if anyone knows why my pc didn't shut down after I clicked on "Scan now" while being...
  8. Defender using Quick Scan but I want Full Scan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defender using Quick Scan but I want Full Scan: I've scheduled a Defender weekly run (which wasn't easy) but I find that it's using the Quick Scan option. I'd like it to do the Full Scan option. I went to Microsoft's "help" pages but they just led me around in circles. I this possible? Or am I barking into the wind?...
  9. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

Microsoft Defender Offline Scan: I can't get the Windows Defender Offline (Excuse me, it is now known as Microsoft Defender Offline) scan to start. I tried it from PowerShell, I've tried it from CMD Prompt both with administrative rights and I've even tried from the GUI of the program itself. I had read...
  10. Microsoft Defender USB Scan

Microsoft Defender USB Scan: Does Microsoft Defender have the ability to automatically scan a USB drive as soon as its plugged in via Real-Time scanning? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-defender-usb-scan/6be4ec9f-5f62-4799-892d-b294e5051bfb