Windows 10: Can Not Set Firefox as Default Browser

Discus and support Can Not Set Firefox as Default Browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I've been able to set Firefox as my default browser before, but recently after reinstalling FireFox, Wi10 is simply not allowing me to set a default... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by BuzWeaver, May 21, 2016.

1. BuzWeaver Win User

Can Not Set Firefox as Default Browser

I've been able to set Firefox as my default browser before, but recently after reinstalling FireFox, Wi10 is simply not allowing me to set a default browser at all (other than default - Edge).

[youtube]wMeEdfGBsTk[/youtube]

:)

BuzWeaver, May 21, 2016

2. Can't set Firefox as Default Browser

Fred pls try these steps to solve your problem

1.Launch your Firefox.2. Click on tools. 3Click on Options. 4 Select advanced . On the advanced tab click on check in. This will give you a pop up asking you to make Firefox your default web browser.

FranzTawiah, May 21, 2016
  3. Fred_Gash Win User
    Can't set Firefox as Default Browser

I can't seem to set Firefox as my Default Browser, for some reason. It's really getting on my nerves. I've just done a clean install of Firefox to see if that solves it, but nope. Any suggestions?

I'm on Windows 10 with the latest update. It's unactivated at the moment, I'm going to buy a key as soon as I can, not that it should make a difference. My PC is an i5 powered desktop with a GTX770 overclocked and 8GB RAM, if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance Can Not Set Firefox as Default Browser :)
    Can Not Set Firefox as Default Browser [​IMG]

Fred_Gash, May 21, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

My Win7 that Upgraded to Win10 retained most of the default programs settings including Firefox. I checked my Win10 Insider Preview and using Control Panel, Default Programs successfully set Firefox as the default.

Berton, May 21, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, May 21, 2016
  6. BuzWeaver Win User
    Thanks guys. TopGun's method worked, however if you're control panel is set to Categories, you'll want to change the View By to large/small so you can more easily find the Default Programs selection.

BuzWeaver, May 22, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi from Win 8 on, programs (not just FF) are not allowed to set defaults from within the program. Unfortunately, mostly (VLC player being one exception) you don't get any warning. Defaults have to be set outside the program -
    - from Settings
    - from the Control Panel
    - using Open With.

Note too that you may wish to check the association of HTTP and HTTPS in the Control Panel, Default Programs, Associate a File Type.. is set correctly. I've found previously this needs to be set manually for embedded URLs.

dalchina, May 22, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Since you have the answer and your problem is solved, please mark it as Solved so that others with the same question will know there is an answer here.
    Thank you.

davidhk, May 22, 2016
  9. Code9n Win User
    Hi,

Thanks to everyone involved.

I found a new twist to this, I think I did anyway.

I had the same problem but I was trying to set Firefox as my default browser on a second Microsoft login on this PC. I mean a guest login, not the administrator's.

So I couldn't open the Control Panel and if I ran Firefox as administrator it just logged me into my main Firefox account on my main, ie administrator's, login. (Which I set as default there without any problems earlier).

In my case Firefox didn't even appear in the default browser settings options list. It was just not there although other non Edge browser options were, eg. Chrome.

Turned out that under 'Settings - Apps - Default Apps' there's a clickable 'set defaults by app' option. It was easy to choose Firefox once that had loaded.

Hope I haven't just repeated something someone else said earlier in the sister thread about this and that this is helpful to someone.

Cheers.

Code9n, Jul 14, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
Thema:

1. Can Not Set Firefox as Default Browser - Similar Threads - Set Firefox Default

2. How to set Firefox as the default browser?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set Firefox as the default browser?: I noticed Firefox is no longer listed as a choice for my default browser. I'm old school. I know. [ATTACH] Anyone know of a workaround? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-firefox-as-the-default-browser/f073b2eb-2699-49a4-90a8-ccf381b41cb0
  3. how set Firefox as default web browser

how set Firefox as default web browser: Although I have it loaded, it doesn't show up as an option in the default app or in the "choose default app" section. Plus, I even have trouble loading it. I realize they'd rather I not use it, but I'd sure like the choice....
  4. downloading firefox for default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    downloading firefox for default browser: I just got this laptop literally an hour ago. I want to install firefox as my default browser. it says I can't do it because I am in "s" mode and need to get an app from the Microsoft store. I can't find the app. I don't want internet explorer as my browser. can someone...
  5. Can't make FireFox default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't make FireFox default browser?: Every time I start FireFox I'm presented with a dialog asking if I want to make it my default browser. Yes I do!! I am brought to the screen which lets me choose a browser, but FireFox isn't among the choices. I choose to search for another browser and I'm brought to the...
  6. set firefox as default browser in windows 10

set firefox as default browser in windows 10: I have firefox installed and use it as my browser. I want to set it as my default browser in Windows 10 but it does not appear as an option in the browser selection box. How do I get it into the browser selection box?...
  7. a problem with firefox been the default browser

in Browsers and Email
    a problem with firefox been the default browser: This is on my Dell laptop OS Win 10 Home 64bit. Every time I start Firefox, Firefox asks if "I want Firefox to be the default browser", see the 1st screen capture attachment bellow. I click yes and the default app window opens up. See the 2nd screen capture attachment bellow....
  8. a problem with firefox been the default browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    a problem with firefox been the default browser: This is on my Dell laptop OS Win 10 Home 64bit. Every time I start Firefox, Firefox asks if "I want Firefox to be the default browser", see the 1st screen capture attachment bellow. I click yes and the default app window opens up. See the 2nd screen capture attachment bellow....
  9. Firefox not showing as default browser?

Firefox not showing as default browser?: So....I have tried everything (trust me I really have) and I've searched through numerous forums. This issue is just appallingly bad, and it seems to me that it is a deliberate attempt to force me to use browsers that Microsoft wants me to use...rather than what I CHOOSE....
  10. I want Firefox as default browser

in Browsers and Email
    I want Firefox as default browser: I have tried many things and looked for tutorial but I'm still lost. I keep telling Firefox to be my default browser and it doesn't keep the settings. I keep going back to I.E. I go into Firefox and select use as my default browser and that doesn't work. I'm using...