Windows 10: Can only connect to internet at work

Discus and support Can only connect to internet at work in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've come across a weird issue and can't seem to find anyone else who has experienced it. My computer was working fine for three years and I was on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Katie P&, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Katie P& Win User

Can only connect to internet at work

I've come across a weird issue and can't seem to find anyone else who has experienced it.

My computer was working fine for three years and I was on my company's active directory account. My company was acquired so I had to switch to a new active directory account. Instead of changing the office DNS my boss had us change the DNS on our computers to be able to connect with active directory. After I was on the new active directory account I went in and deleted the DNS entry in my computer. However I was still only able to connect to the internet while at my office. I tried changing my DNS settings to Google's (8.8.8.8), resetting Winsock2, resetting DNS, making sure everything was up to date including drivers, reinstalled internet drivers, etc nothing worked.

I ended up completely reinstalling windows from scratch. My internet worked on all networks! I reinstalled all my programs and everything was great.

Then my computer restarted and it broke again. I retried everything we could think of again and nothing worked. I reinstalled windows but this time kept the files. My internet started working properly again! It even updated and was still working fine.

And now today my computer has another update and it's broken yet again.

Besides reinstalling windows does anyone have an idea?

Notes that might help:

* HP pavilion running Windows 10 pro

* I do have openVPN installed

* No one else in my office had this issue (over 200 people)

* My office internet always works - it's just other connections like my home, coffee shop, client office

* I am an admin on my computer

* Programs installed: filezilla, visual studio, atom, all major browsers, putty,office 365, Adobe products like Photoshop... No obscure programs as I was in the middle of setting my computer up again.

:)

Katie P&, Jan 17, 2019
  2. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Jan 17, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Internet Connectivity Issues with various programs

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

Try the following steps:

I would suggest you to run Internet Connectivity troubleshooter:

Try the following steps:

• Click "Search" and type "Troubleshooting" without quotes and hit enter.

• Click “View All”

• Select "Internet Explorer connection"

• Click next to run the troubleshooter.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Jan 17, 2019
  4. Nath Bea Win User

HTC 7 Mozart mobile not connecting to internet

Hello,

If you cannot connect to Wi-Fi or use the Mobile Data on your HTC 7 Mozart device, we suggest that you follow the steps given on
    Lumia troubleshooting and repair. After each step, check to see if your issue has been fixed.

• For issues connecting to Wi-Fi networks, select Connectivity > My phone has problems connecting to Wi-Fi networks, then follow the suggested steps provided.

• And for issues connecting to the internet using a mobile data connection, select
      Connectivity > I cannot connect to the internet using a mobile data connection. Make sure to select the next options given if the problem persists.

We're just here if you have further questions.

Regards.

Nath Bea, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Can only connect to internet at work - Similar Threads - connect internet

2. Internet connection does not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet connection does not work: Recently I’ve been having problems with my network access. When I log into my account after restarting I have network access for a few seconds, then it cuts off. When I try to troubleshoot it, it says problem with network adapter or access point and the default gateway is not...
  3. I can't connect to my ATT internet on one of my laptops. The other lap top connects fine.

I can't connect to my ATT internet on one of my laptops. The other lap top connects fine.: I can't connect to my ATT internet on one of my laptops. troubleshooting tells me there might be a problem with the drive3r for the wifi adapter. Can a expert call me and help with this?...
  4. Obtaining Password from a swapped internet connection.

Obtaining Password from a swapped internet connection.: I once had an internet connection that was full on wireless, and I could see what the connection's password was just fine. Nowadays, though, I've swapped to an Ethernet connection. The problem is that I want to access the Ethernet management site, but I don't know the...
  5. PC Laptop won't connect to the internet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Laptop won't connect to the internet: No idea why it's doing this, was working just fine yesterday. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, restarting, shutting down, did that command prompt admin thing and still nothing. Ugh, any suggestions? It was saying how the wifi doesn't have a working IP or something...
  6. Windows update with limited internet connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update with limited internet connection: I have windows 1909. I'd like to update to 20H2, but my internet plan only provides 2GB of data per day. I read somewhere that this update'll be approx. 3GB size. So I can't download this update in a single stretch. Is it ok if the update gets disrupted half way ? Or do I...
  7. Windows 10 Throttling Internet Connection Speed?

Windows 10 Throttling Internet Connection Speed?: I have experienced what appears to be Windows 10 throttling my internet connection speed. It has happened on multiple occasions, and it happened again tonight so I wanted to check with this community to see if there is a possible permanent fix to prevent this from happening...
  8. Internet connection working but applications on my PC won't update

Internet connection working but applications on my PC won't update: As stated in the title, after updating my computer last night I can connect to the internet and I can also browse webpages and stream multimedia, however applications that require internet access to update and then run seem to be unable to access the internet from my PC....
  9. Any file explorer slows down my internet connection

Any file explorer slows down my internet connection: I have the problem written in the title. I can't explain really what's happening with it but I have tried Total Commander and the default File Explorer but both of them when they load up and even when they are opened slow down my internet connection horribly. This really...
  10. Help Connecting To Wireless Internet

Help Connecting To Wireless Internet: Whenever I hit the lil network bar, it doesnt show networks. It doesnt show any when i ask it to search for networks. When i run a diagnostic its about a ethernet cable and not wireless, every other device connected to my internet works fine. My computer was working fine and...