Windows 10: Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One?

Discus and support Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have been fighting my laptop now for a least a year when it comes to saving space on my C drive. I can barely keep it at 15GB free and it feels... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KnavishPlum169, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One?

So I have been fighting my laptop now for a least a year when it comes to saving space on my C drive. I can barely keep it at 15GB free and it feels like it fills up just by clicking it. My D drive on the other hand is mostly empty. I have moved everything I can that is not important to D: Games, Adobe Products, Etc. New programs are saved to D and all saved files for anything are saved to D. C isn't used unless the program gives me no option. Yet it still seems to fill. I sometimes find copies of files I saved to D in C as if it was making a copy to keep safe or something.

So here is my question. If I factory reset my laptop (after moving anything from D I care about onto a external drive for safe keeping of course), could I make my Laptop like my Desktop and merge the two drives into one big C drive? Or just one big drive in general? It would make managing.

I don't know what else to do as it feels like all of the random files in C are important to keep the laptop running and I am afraid to delete anything.

:)

KnavishPlum169, Sep 23, 2019

2. how to merge c drive and d drive

It depends on a couple things.

If you have two separate physical C and D drives, you can't merge them.

If the D drive is a partition (not a drive) and its to the right of C:\ in Disk Management, you can right click C:\ then click Extend.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

Take a screenshot then post in a reply here.

If the layout is similar to how I described it, try the following. Make sure important data is backed up if there is any.

Select the D:\ partition

Right click the ‘D:\’ in Disk Management, on the contextual menu, click the ‘Delete Volume’ option. Click ‘Yes’ when the warning dialog appears.

The Volume you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition (C:\). Right click the System volume and click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre for Directly, Sep 23, 2019
  3. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Sep 23, 2019
  4. gabbydgar Win User

Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One?

How to add D drive to C when it is an SD card

Found this on the community site. You can merge the existing C & D drive partition without any third party tools. Here are the steps: Assume D is just a data partition and doesn't contain the page file, boot files or a second operating system. If so, merge the partition by removing D and extending C, as follows:
    1. Back up to and external devise any important data on D, optional, move the same important data from D to C.
    2. Right click computer >Manage >Storage>Disk Management, then right click the graphic of the D partition an select Delete. The partition returns to Unallocated for a Primary Partition or free space if it's a Logical Diver within an Extended Partition. Delete the partition if it is a extended partition.
    3. Now right click the graphic of the C partition and select Extend.

My D drive as stated before is an SD card, no page file, boot files or a second os. 16mb unallocated 58.23gb ex fat healthy (primary partition). Trying to enlarge C: on a Nextbook tablet.

Does anyone see a problem with this method?

gabbydgar, Sep 23, 2019
Thema:

Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One?

1. Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One? - Similar Threads - Data Merged

2. Saving My Personal Data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Saving My Personal Data: When my computer dies or shuts down, it wipes everything. This is a new occurrence that's happened within the past three days; I've had my computer for 3-4 years now. My computer shut down on it's own two days ago, and when I turned it back on it had set me back to default...
  3. What is the registry keys: !Do not use this registry key? And data values: Use the...

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the registry keys: !Do not use this registry key? And data values: Use the...: Good day, What does this mean? In my laptop (Windows 10 64 bit Home) In Registry Editor. HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Shell Folders. It is a key that is called !Do not use this registry key. Entered value: Use the...
  4. Does Microsft Solitaire Collection use internet data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does Microsft Solitaire Collection use internet data: I have just bought a Windows 10 computer and regularly play the games available in the Microsoft Solitaire Collection which is on my taskbar. Always play as a guest and never sign in. Is this using my internet data? It seems my daily usage is so much higher since going to...
  5. Deleted files and data as it was a temporary user profile

Deleted files and data as it was a temporary user profile: Windows technical advisor recovered my documents and files. All on my desktop. I had lost access to them as i was logged into a temporary user profile. Anyways i have take computer to a shop, the guy checked whole hard drive, nothing is there. He thinks the advisor cut all...
  6. It is safe? The following file is in the Program Data, Windows Defender folder:...

It is safe? The following file is in the Program Data, Windows Defender folder:...: Good day everyone, I have this file in folder C: Program data, Microsoft, Windows Defender: IMpService77BDAF73-B396-481F-9042-AD358843EC24.lock Its size is 0 kB. Is this file safe? I know that this topic has already been solved on the Internet. But I never found anything...
  7. Data lost after update to build 18362.356

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data lost after update to build 18362.356: Hi, my Windows 10 laptop updated last night to version 1903, build 18362.356. Now, all (and I mean really all) my data seems lost. Some installed apps, as well as all my settings, are gone too. C:\Windows.old contains folders, but all of them (e. g. the...
  8. Deleted Partition on HDD - How do I restore it, and the data within?

Deleted Partition on HDD - How do I restore it, and the data within?: In my efforts to fix my previous problem, I resorted to a fresh install of Windows 10. I have two drives - one is an SSD on which I installed only Windows-related files, and the other is a 500gb traditional hard drive on which everything else was installed. It was during...
  9. One volume shows two time in disk management, how can I merge it without loosing data?

One volume shows two time in disk management, how can I merge it without loosing data?: [ATTACH] You can see in this screenshot, Local Disk D showing two times in disk management I want to merge both D drive, Help me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-volume-shows-two-time-in-disk-management-how/b860da1b-5e35-4ca6-8299-74a2cc06c507"
  10. W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD?

W10 What happens to data when merging 2 partitions on same HD?: Hello, I purchased a second internal hard drive (not SSD) for my computer a long time ago (maybe 2 years). I wanted to practice some basic skills that are not often used but wanted to refresh myself on the process. The basic skill I did was take that secondary 1TB HD and...