Windows 10: Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One?

Discus and support Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have been fighting my laptop now for a least a year when it comes to saving space on my C drive. I can barely keep it at 15GB free and it feels... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KnavishPlum169, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One?

So I have been fighting my laptop now for a least a year when it comes to saving space on my C drive. I can barely keep it at 15GB free and it feels like it fills up just by clicking it. My D drive on the other hand is mostly empty. I have moved everything I can that is not important to D: Games, Adobe Products, Etc. New programs are saved to D and all saved files for anything are saved to D. C isn't used unless the program gives me no option. Yet it still seems to fill. I sometimes find copies of files I saved to D in C as if it was making a copy to keep safe or something.

So here is my question. If I factory reset my laptop (after moving anything from D I care about onto a external drive for safe keeping of course), could I make my Laptop like my Desktop and merge the two drives into one big C drive? Or just one big drive in general? It would make managing.

I don't know what else to do as it feels like all of the random files in C are important to keep the laptop running and I am afraid to delete anything.

:)

KnavishPlum169, Sep 23, 2019

2. how to merge c drive and d drive

It depends on a couple things.

If you have two separate physical C and D drives, you can't merge them.

If the D drive is a partition (not a drive) and its to the right of C:\ in Disk Management, you can right click C:\ then click Extend.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

Take a screenshot then post in a reply here.

If the layout is similar to how I described it, try the following. Make sure important data is backed up if there is any.

Select the D:\ partition

Right click the ‘D:\’ in Disk Management, on the contextual menu, click the ‘Delete Volume’ option. Click ‘Yes’ when the warning dialog appears.

The Volume you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition (C:\). Right click the System volume and click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre for Directly, Sep 23, 2019
  3. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Sep 23, 2019
  4. gabbydgar Win User

Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One?

How to add D drive to C when it is an SD card

Found this on the community site. You can merge the existing C & D drive partition without any third party tools. Here are the steps: Assume D is just a data partition and doesn't contain the page file, boot files or a second operating system. If so, merge the partition by removing D and extending C, as follows:
    1. Back up to and external devise any important data on D, optional, move the same important data from D to C.
    2. Right click computer >Manage >Storage>Disk Management, then right click the graphic of the D partition an select Delete. The partition returns to Unallocated for a Primary Partition or free space if it's a Logical Diver within an Extended Partition. Delete the partition if it is a extended partition.
    3. Now right click the graphic of the C partition and select Extend.

My D drive as stated before is an SD card, no page file, boot files or a second os. 16mb unallocated 58.23gb ex fat healthy (primary partition). Trying to enlarge C: on a Nextbook tablet.

Does anyone see a problem with this method?

gabbydgar, Sep 23, 2019
Thema:

Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One?

1. Can OS (C:) and Data (D:) Be Merged Into One? - Similar Threads - Data Merged

2. How can I merge partitions without lossing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I merge partitions without lossing data: As I have shared the Image I want to merge 4 partitions into 1 in Disk 0. REDI want to merge 2 partitions into 1 in Disk 1. GREENIs it possible to merge the partitions....
  3. How can I merge partitions without lossing data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I merge partitions without lossing data: As I have shared the Image I want to merge 4 partitions into 1 in Disk 0. REDI want to merge 2 partitions into 1 in Disk 1. GREENIs it possible to merge the partitions....
  4. MS Word 365 mail merge data source using tab file with over 1,600 fields

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Word 365 mail merge data source using tab file with over 1,600 fields: Hi, when trying mail merge with over 1,600 fields example is 1,930 Word 365 asks for delimiter and throws up an error that there are too many columns in row 1 header information.There appears to be 2 bugs, the first needing a delimiter to be selected and the second that it...
  5. MS Word 365 mail merge data source using tab file with over 1,600 fields

MS Word 365 mail merge data source using tab file with over 1,600 fields: Hi, when trying mail merge with over 1,600 fields example is 1,930 Word 365 asks for delimiter and throws up an error that there are too many columns in row 1 header information.There appears to be 2 bugs, the first needing a delimiter to be selected and the second that it...
  6. Merge the main document and data source in mail merge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Merge the main document and data source in mail merge: Merge the main document and data source in mail merge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merge-the-main-document-and-data-source-in-mail/ede274f4-484a-4ca2-b387-01635ff011ad
  7. Merge the main document and data source in mail merge

Merge the main document and data source in mail merge: Merge the main document and data source in mail merge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merge-the-main-document-and-data-source-in-mail/ede274f4-484a-4ca2-b387-01635ff011ad
  8. Merge accounts or transfer data from one account to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Merge accounts or transfer data from one account to another: Hello.I would like to merge one Microsoft MS account with a second MS account. Specifically, I would like to transfer all information associated with the former account, including Windows settings and files, to the latter account.This is needed because Windows 11 requires...
  9. Merge accounts or transfer data from one account to another

Merge accounts or transfer data from one account to another: Hello.I would like to merge one Microsoft MS account with a second MS account. Specifically, I would like to transfer all information associated with the former account, including Windows settings and files, to the latter account.This is needed because Windows 11 requires...
  10. Merge drive and lost data, how can I recover ?

Merge drive and lost data, how can I recover ?: I merged my D disk using disk manage , remote volume and extend volume . Can I recover data from D disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merge-drive-and-lost-data-how-can-i-recover/37818db3-5881-45eb-8670-f10b136832f1