Windows 10: Can 'partitions not in recommended order' be fixed AFTER install?

Discus and support Can 'partitions not in recommended order' be fixed AFTER install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just got a crashed machine working again by reinstalling. But on the way I got the message about partitions not in the recommended order and I chose... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by arthurbrogard, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Can 'partitions not in recommended order' be fixed AFTER install?

I just got a crashed machine working again by reinstalling. But on the way I got the message about partitions not in the recommended order and I chose to ignore it and continue with the install.

It seems to be going alright.

If it does complete okay then that's good but perhaps there'll be this underlying weakness. Can I/should I fix it?

With a partition manager perhaps such as on kyhi's rescue disk?

:)

arthurbrogard, Apr 2, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Apr 2, 2021
  3. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Apr 2, 2021
  4. Aquinus Win User

Can 'partitions not in recommended order' be fixed AFTER install?

Partition management

Or at the very least, make sure that your hard drive boot order is correct, because it will take the first writable drive in the boot list to determine where to put the boot loader. As Jester suggested, pop the Windows install disk in, make sure your boot order is correct (or unplug the drive,) and run repair. It's really that simple.

Aquinus, Apr 2, 2021
Thema:

Can 'partitions not in recommended order' be fixed AFTER install?

1. Can 'partitions not in recommended order' be fixed AFTER install? - Similar Threads - 'partitions recommended order'

2. correct or recommended boot order.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    correct or recommended boot order.: Can someone help me out with the correct or recommended boot order. I have an HP 5ap8mp 17- can3xxx running Windows 11..... UEFI Boot Order 1. OS Boot Manager 2. Internal CD/DVD ROM drive 3. USB flash drive /USB hard drive 4. USB CD/DVD ROM drive 5. Network adapter...
  3. correct or recommended boot order.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    correct or recommended boot order.: Can someone help me out with the correct or recommended boot order. I have an HP 5ap8mp 17- can3xxx running Windows 11..... UEFI Boot Order 1. OS Boot Manager 2. Internal CD/DVD ROM drive 3. USB flash drive /USB hard drive 4. USB CD/DVD ROM drive 5. Network adapter...
  4. Does it causes any problem, regarding partition not in recommended order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does it causes any problem, regarding partition not in recommended order: Greetings, Few days back I reinstalled Windows 11 and while installing, as usual while selecting the drive for windows, I formatted C drive and I selected that disk. Now an Message is showing as, "The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended...
  5. Does it causes any problem, regarding partition not in recommended order

Does it causes any problem, regarding partition not in recommended order: Greetings, Few days back I reinstalled Windows 11 and while installing, as usual while selecting the drive for windows, I formatted C drive and I selected that disk. Now an Message is showing as, "The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended...
  6. need help with GPT partitions order and Windows install

need help with GPT partitions order and Windows install: Hello to everyone: I have a question dealing with gpt / uefi and windows install, So I have a new ssd drive, and I am trying to do a fresh install of Windows 10 using UEFI, so I can install windows 11, which at this point seems to be more trouble than it is worth, I am using...
  7. Partitions order

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions order: I have a computer with a single disk. After clean installation of Windows 10 20H1, I noticed that the partition order is different: The primary partition is now the third partition and the recovery is now last, fourth. As far as I remember, primary partition was always last,...
  8. Drive Order Recommendations?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive Order Recommendations?: Hi--New to this forum and I have a question: I just bought 2 Samsung 1-terabyte SSDs for my PC using Win 10 64bit/Pro. Already had an installed 2-TB HDD, and I added an older 500GB HDD because I had a spare slot, maybe for photo archives or something. Everything works, all...
  9. Clean Install 2004 Has New Partition Order

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install 2004 Has New Partition Order: I just noticed on both my platforms that were given clean installs of 2004 using the MCT that the partition order that's been consistent since 1511 has now changed and the naming is slightly different. Not that it really affects anything, but has anybody heard why or have a...
  10. Recommendation for a partition manager

Recommendation for a partition manager: I recently upgraded a Dell XPS 8700 to Win10 and then downgraded back to Win7 because of compatibility with games. I'd like to delete the 21.18 GB recovery partition and add that space of the OS partition (Disk 2), SSD. The recovery partition is for Win8 its no longer needed....