Windows 10: Can partitions within Disk0 be rearranged Windows

Discus and support Can partitions within Disk0 be rearranged Windows in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Team, i have an issue where i have deployed an FFU image onto a machine that consists of a 1TB HD. the image has loaded onto the machine but when i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AfzolMiah, Feb 22, 2021.

1. AfzolMiah Win User

Can partitions within Disk0 be rearranged Windows

Hi Team,

i have an issue where i have deployed an FFU image onto a machine that consists of a 1TB HD. the image has loaded onto the machine but when i go into disk manager i can see there is still 600+GB of unallocated space. i can not extent the C: Drive partition as there is a recovery partition in between C; drive partition and unallocated partition.

The FFU image was captured from a reference machine that consisted of a 256GB hard drive.

Can i rearrange the partition son the reference machine so that the C: Drive partition sits at the end?

Can the recovery partition be delete and if yes will this cause any issues?

If the recovery partition is deleted can this then be added back?

Please let me know if this is possible?

:)

AfzolMiah, Feb 22, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 22, 2021
  3. TimR888 Win User
    Can DISKPART be used to make Disk1 active system partition and take Disk0 offline when both have System Reserved partition?

I have added a second SSD to my Windows 7 x64 system because DISK0 was acting weirdly. (SMART BIOS said it was "bad" but the SSD manufacturer's disk utility said it was "healthy").

I made a system image of DISK0 and restored that system image onto DISK1. Now DISK0 and DISK1 both have System Reserved partitions. Note that there is also a 2TB "standard" HD with several NTFS volumes which is not shown here:

Can partitions within Disk0 be rearranged Windows 83d89fd3-3f17-4f04-8beb-a475d0cd2463?upload=true.png

With DISKPART, is it possible to take Disk0 offline, make Disk1 the active system partition, and reassign drive C: to the 465GB NTFS partition now labeled as disk "I:" ? Perhaps not in that order? If so, could you please give the commands in their proper
    order?

The partitions on Disk1 are "MBR".

Thanks

TimR888, Feb 22, 2021
  4. Can partitions within Disk0 be rearranged Windows

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

Can partitions within Disk0 be rearranged Windows

1. Can partitions within Disk0 be rearranged Windows - Similar Threads - partitions within Disk0

2. Replace Mirrored Disk0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replace Mirrored Disk0: My PC Disk0 has C: and D: partitions. Windows 7 installed on C:.I add a mirror disk on Disk1. So C: and D: are both mirrored.Disk0 is dying and need to be replaced. After Removing the mirror, the machine still can boot from Disk0 but not Disk1.How do I boot from Disk1 so I...
  3. Can I switch disk1 to being disk0, and disk0 to being disk1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I switch disk1 to being disk0, and disk0 to being disk1?: I have 1x Intel SSD 660p series Model number: INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8, and 2x WD HDD Model number: WDC WD10EZEX-00BBHA0 housed in my desktop PC.The OS Windows 11 22H2, OS build 22621.75 is installed in the Intel SSD 660p series, which is NVMe protocol.The two WD HDD are SATA...
  4. Can I switch disk1 to being disk0, and disk0 to being disk1?

Can I switch disk1 to being disk0, and disk0 to being disk1?: I have 1x Intel SSD 660p series Model number: INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8, and 2x WD HDD Model number: WDC WD10EZEX-00BBHA0 housed in my desktop PC.The OS Windows 11 22H2, OS build 22621.75 is installed in the Intel SSD 660p series, which is NVMe protocol.The two WD HDD are SATA...
  5. The win10 installation created a clone partition as Disk0 and Disk1.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The win10 installation created a clone partition as Disk0 and Disk1.: When I installed win10 to my laptop this happened. The funny thing is I don't have 2 ssd in this laptop. I just have one 500 gb ssd but when I checked the partitions later after installations ıt shows an exact copy with the main ssd with the other showing as unallocated. Is...
  6. The win10 installation created a clone partition as Disk0 and Disk1.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The win10 installation created a clone partition as Disk0 and Disk1.: When I installed win10 to my laptop this happened. The funny thing is I don't have 2 ssd in this laptop. I just have one 500 gb ssd but when I checked the partitions later after installations ıt shows an exact copy with the main ssd with the other showing as unallocated. Is...
  7. The win10 installation created a clone partition as Disk0 and Disk1.

8. Rearranging partition order on NVMe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rearranging partition order on NVMe: Hi everyone. Recently did a successful migration from SSD MBR to new NVMe GPT on a new UEFI motherboard using the amazing mbr2gpt command. Boots and operates fine. Trouble is, I am now stuck with partitions in the following order: MSR I think; C drive; then EFI; then a...
  9. OS is on disk1, System Reserved is on disk0. Cannot allocate the rest of disk0

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OS is on disk1, System Reserved is on disk0. Cannot allocate the rest of disk0: Windows 10 was installed on a 1 TB SSD (disk1) and used all the space on that drive. The System Reserved space was placed on a 4 TB HDD and 2 TB of space was allocated to a 2nd volume. The problem is that there is another 2 TB of unallocated space on Disk0! I been reading...
  10. Recovery partition has reset to Disk0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery partition has reset to Disk0: Hi forum people, I noticed this morning that my recovery partition (it used to be D drive) could not be found. I ran Disk Management and found that my external drive (it used to be G drive) had been re-assigned to D drive and my D drive was coming up as (Disk 0 partition...