Windows 10: Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing

Discus and support Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 pro with the last update on 2 PC at the same network. 1 PC have LaserJet printer and the other one is dot matrix printer. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iKnd, Jan 15, 2020 at 12:12 AM.

1. iKnd Win User

Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing

I'm using Windows 10 pro with the last update on 2 PC at the same network. 1 PC have LaserJet printer and the other one is dot matrix printer. I already install each driver and set for sharing option.

- First test, tried to connect from PC 2 with dot matrix printer to LaserJet printer on PC 1, it's worked.

- But, when I try PC 1 to connect dot matrix printer on PC 2, no go.

- Tried to ping from PC 1 to PC 2, worked.

Already did this at PC 2:

1. Firewall disabled

2. Security Policies LAN manager set to Send LM NTLM response

3. Enabled SMB 10 option

4. Anti virus disabled

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

:)

2. ryley2637 Win User

Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN

I've been dealing with this issue for hours now and have tried everything I can think of. I have a Windows 10 Home PC that I have an incoming VPN connection on. I can connect to it, but if the firewall is enabled, I can't ping it or access the shares. If I turn the firewall off I CAN ping and access shares. It was working fine yesterday and I don't remember doing anything to cause this. I've tracked it down to being something with my Public networks. When I disable the firewall on public networks (the VPN adapter) I can ping, but once I enable that it stops pinging. I've tried everything listed below but still can't get it to work:

• Checked port 1723 is open
    • Allowed EVERYTHING with a firewall rule, through it
    • Checked multiple devices on another Wi-Fi network and 3G with a phone
    • Restarted PC; other devices and router
    • I can ping every other device on my network besides the one creating the VPN (which is the one I need)
    • and so many other steps.
    • Made sure file and printer sharing were enabled in network and sharing center

Is there some other rule that got removed from the firewall I need to re-add? Any help or tips would be appreciated!

3. Run5k Win User
    Ping to Windows 10 not working if "file and printer sharing" is turned off?

Because the File and printer sharing settings include the ability to deny/allow ICMP traffic. You can actually see this by navigating to the following:

1. Click the Start button
    2. Search for Windows Firewall
    3. Select Advanced Settings on the left
    4. In the left pane select Inbound Rules
    5. In the right pane look for the rules titled File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In)

(Source)

You can see an example from my laptop (with File and printer sharing turned on) directly below:

Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing pgAYP.jpg

Taking it a step further, if you want to leave File and printer sharing off but still allow "pings," you can enable the appropriate rules shown within the red box in the picture.

4. HAT
    hat Win User

Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

Thema:

1. Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing - Similar Threads - ping can't access

2. File and Printer Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File and Printer Sharing: I've just down a clean install of the latest version of windows 10 v1909, I cannot turn on File and Printer sharing on a private network. I use a NAS and I cannot see it in my network. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
  3. File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME]

File & printer sharing stopped working - cannot access [\\NAME]: I recently bought a pair of new laptops with Windows 10. When I set up file & printer sharing between them, it worked fine. A couple of days later, the sharing stopped working (possibly following a Windows or driver update), although I have not changed any network or security...
  4. Windows 10 - Can't access \\computername but can access \\computername\share

Windows 10 - Can't access \\computername but can access \\computername\share: Hello, Since these latest updates/patches came out yesterday, I can no longer access shared folders on \\computername. However, I can access them with \\computer\share. I get the message "You do not have permission to access \\computername. Contact your network...
  5. Can ping but not access websites, Intermittent

Can ping but not access websites, Intermittent: Hi, I have 2 computers connected to the same router, and after some time the laptop loses the ability to access a website and also my Outlook mail is unable to send or receive emails, but I can still ping ok. The desktop computer (also Windows 10) continues to have perfect...
  6. Printer Sharing and Network credential access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Printer Sharing and Network credential access: Hello: I have two desktops running Windows 10. One is a new one and I would like to be able to print from the USB connected printer on the other desktop. Problem is when I go to access my other computer which I can see, it pops up asking for security credentials. I really...
  7. How can I share printer on network without sharing files?

How can I share printer on network without sharing files?: I am inquiring about a home network. Would like to share a printer on desktopA with others on network. It works great with laptopA which is on same Microsoft account. But others in the house are not on this Microsoft account, and I do not want to give them access to files -...
  8. Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers

Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers: I have a small office network with 4 work stations. One of them (we'll call it #2) has 2 printers connected to it that are used by the other Work stations. I can access shared Files and Folders on #2 from #1 just like normal. But the Printers have all the sudden become...
  9. Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN

Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN: I've been dealing with this issue for hours now and have tried everything I can think of. I have a Windows 10 Home PC that I have an incoming VPN connection on. I can connect to it, but if the firewall is enabled, I can't ping it or access the shares. If I turn the firewall...
  10. Can't Connect To Shared Printer

Can't Connect To Shared Printer: Hi, I have a 2 desktops and a laptop all running Windows 10 Home. I have a Homegroup that is working and I can see and access the shared folders on each machine. I can see and connect to the printer on Desktop 2 from the laptop but not Desktop 1's printer. That...