Windows 10: Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing

Discus and support Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 pro with the last update on 2 PC at the same network. 1 PC have LaserJet printer and the other one is dot matrix printer. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iKnd, Jan 15, 2020.

1. iKnd Win User

Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing

I'm using Windows 10 pro with the last update on 2 PC at the same network. 1 PC have LaserJet printer and the other one is dot matrix printer. I already install each driver and set for sharing option.

- First test, tried to connect from PC 2 with dot matrix printer to LaserJet printer on PC 1, it's worked.

- But, when I try PC 1 to connect dot matrix printer on PC 2, no go.

- Tried to ping from PC 1 to PC 2, worked.

Already did this at PC 2:

1. Firewall disabled

2. Security Policies LAN manager set to Send LM NTLM response

3. Enabled SMB 10 option

4. Anti virus disabled

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

:)

2. ryley2637 Win User

Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN

I've been dealing with this issue for hours now and have tried everything I can think of. I have a Windows 10 Home PC that I have an incoming VPN connection on. I can connect to it, but if the firewall is enabled, I can't ping it or access the shares. If I turn the firewall off I CAN ping and access shares. It was working fine yesterday and I don't remember doing anything to cause this. I've tracked it down to being something with my Public networks. When I disable the firewall on public networks (the VPN adapter) I can ping, but once I enable that it stops pinging. I've tried everything listed below but still can't get it to work:

• Checked port 1723 is open
    • Allowed EVERYTHING with a firewall rule, through it
    • Checked multiple devices on another Wi-Fi network and 3G with a phone
    • Restarted PC; other devices and router
    • I can ping every other device on my network besides the one creating the VPN (which is the one I need)
    • and so many other steps.
    • Made sure file and printer sharing were enabled in network and sharing center

Is there some other rule that got removed from the firewall I need to re-add? Any help or tips would be appreciated!

ryley2637, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Run5k Win User
    Ping to Windows 10 not working if "file and printer sharing" is turned off?

Because the File and printer sharing settings include the ability to deny/allow ICMP traffic. You can actually see this by navigating to the following:

1. Click the Start button
    2. Search for Windows Firewall
    3. Select Advanced Settings on the left
    4. In the left pane select Inbound Rules
    5. In the right pane look for the rules titled File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In)

(Source)

You can see an example from my laptop (with File and printer sharing turned on) directly below:

Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing pgAYP.jpg

Taking it a step further, if you want to leave File and printer sharing off but still allow "pings," you can enable the appropriate rules shown within the red box in the picture.

Run5k, Jan 15, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

Thema:

1. Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing - Similar Threads - ping can't access

2. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  3. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  4. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can ping the network printer but unable to connect to the printer or access the web...

I can ping the network printer but unable to connect to the printer or access the web...: 1. printers are shared on the network using the server 2. All the computer in the domain can see and connect but some non domain computer unable to connect Or access the web interface however they can successfully ping the printer3. tried disabling the firewall on the...
  6. I can ping the network printer but unable to connect to the printer or access the web...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can ping the network printer but unable to connect to the printer or access the web...: 1. printers are shared on the network using the server 2. All the computer in the domain can see and connect but some non domain computer unable to connect Or access the web interface however they can successfully ping the printer3. tried disabling the firewall on the...
  7. I can ping the network printer but unable to connect to the printer or access the web...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can't Access File Sharing or Network

Can't Access File Sharing or Network: Hello,I'm having a difficult time right now getting my file sharing and Network to run.Im trying to use Roon Audio via a ROCK NUC10i3. I'm at this stephttps://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-os-missing-codecsBut I have nothing showing up in my network drive.I've...
  9. How I can access shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How I can access shared printer: I have already setup and shared printer in network with other device and system but I don't know how to access and install printer on other device please help...
  10. Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers

Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers: I have a small office network with 4 work stations. One of them (we'll call it #2) has 2 printers connected to it that are used by the other Work stations. I can access shared Files and Folders on #2 from #1 just like normal. But the Printers have all the sudden become...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can ping the print server but cannot connect