Windows 10: Can ping but not access websites, Intermittent

Discus and support Can ping but not access websites, Intermittent in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have 2 computers connected to the same router, and after some time the laptop loses the ability to access a website and also my Outlook mail is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DaveBrocklebank, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Can ping but not access websites, Intermittent

Hi,

I have 2 computers connected to the same router, and after some time the laptop loses the ability to access a website and also my Outlook mail is unable to send or receive emails, but I can still ping ok.

The desktop computer (also Windows 10) continues to have perfect internet access.

I have both computers running on Windows 10 for over 2 years, and both running fine with no major recent changes. Windows Updates are auto on both machines, but one updates a few days earlier than the other.

Both computers are Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Desktop: Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.503)

Laptop: Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.379)

This has been happening the past few days. When I restart the laptop everything works fine for a while, and I can click on websites, and all works fine.

After some time (I am not sure how long… 30 minutes?) the problem reappears and I am unable to click on a website and my Outlook mail is unable to send or receive emails.

The weird thing is that I can still do a ‘google search’ using Chrome browser and it returns the list of websites as normal, but when I try to click on a website it says no internet connection.

My Outlook mail is also unable to send or receive emails.

I can ping www.google.com and it also works fine.

I have tried disabling BitDefender Total Security (which I have on both computers) but I still can’t access websites.

When I restart the laptop, it works fine for a while.

I tried

Try reinitialising the network states. Run the following commands in an elevated cmd shell:

· Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults:

netsh winsock reset catalog

· Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

· Reset Firewall to installation defaults:

netsh advfirewall reset

· Flush DNS resolver cache:

ipconfig /flushdns

· Renew DNS client registration and refresh DHCP leases:

ipconfig /registerdns

· Flush routing table (reboot required):

route /f

When I restart the laptop to complete the above actions it works fine for a while, and then the problem appears.

The problem happens either when I connect the laptop to the router with a wired connection, or by WiFi.

The desktop is connected by a wired connection to the router and does not have a WiFi card.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

:)

DaveBrocklebank, Jun 8, 2019
  2. ryley2637 Win User

Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN

I've been dealing with this issue for hours now and have tried everything I can think of. I have a Windows 10 Home PC that I have an incoming VPN connection on. I can connect to it, but if the firewall is enabled, I can't ping it or access the shares. If I turn the firewall off I CAN ping and access shares. It was working fine yesterday and I don't remember doing anything to cause this. I've tracked it down to being something with my Public networks. When I disable the firewall on public networks (the VPN adapter) I can ping, but once I enable that it stops pinging. I've tried everything listed below but still can't get it to work:

• Checked port 1723 is open
    • Allowed EVERYTHING with a firewall rule, through it
    • Checked multiple devices on another Wi-Fi network and 3G with a phone
    • Restarted PC; other devices and router
    • I can ping every other device on my network besides the one creating the VPN (which is the one I need)
    • and so many other steps.
    • Made sure file and printer sharing were enabled in network and sharing center

Is there some other rule that got removed from the firewall I need to re-add? Any help or tips would be appreciated!

ryley2637, Jun 8, 2019
  3. Problem with connecting with a website with Windows 10. Help!

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the TWC website, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to do a ping test for the website you are unable to access and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on Command Prompt.
    • Type ping <website address> and hit Enter.
    • You will find the status of connection with the website.

Let us know the results of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Can ping but not access websites, Intermittent

Windows 10 blocks websites (stubhub, nflexchange)

Hi Ignacio,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know more information to help you better.

• On which browser you get the error when you access the websites? (Internet Explorer/EDGE/other)

• Do you changed any firewall settings?

• Is the system connected to domain?

• Do you use any proxy server?

Kindly follow the below steps if the system is not connected to domain and check if it helps.

Step 1:

Check whether the websites are listed in the resisted area and if they are present in the restricted area remove it from the list and try to access the websites. Follow the steps mentioned below.

1) Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools.

2) Click on Internet Options and click on the
    security
    tab.

3) Click on Restricted sites and click on the sites button.

4) If any of these websites are listed in the restricted sites, select the websites and click on the remove button to remove it from the list.

5) Click on close and then
    Apply
    and OK.

Check whether you are able to access the websites.

Step2:

I would suggest you to ping the web URL and check whether you are able to ping or not.

• Click on Start and click on Run.
    • Type cmd and press Enter.
    • Now type ping
      www.stubhub.com
      and check whether you are able to send and receive packets.

Step 3:

Try to change the settings on the Internet Explorer and check if it helps.

1) Open Internet Explorer on the desktop.

2) Click on Tools icon option on the top right corner.

3) Select Internet Options from the list.

4) Click on Connection tab.

5) Click on LAN Settings.

6) Check the box which says “Automatically detect settings ".

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Can ping but not access websites, Intermittent

1. Can ping but not access websites, Intermittent - Similar Threads - ping access websites

2. Ping Spikes, Intermittent Internet Speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ping Spikes, Intermittent Internet Speeds: Hello,I am using Windows 11, 11th Gen Intel Core i5 *** Email address is removed for privacy *** GHz; 6 core 32GB Ram new build this year.My internet speeds often get ping spikes and latency issues, and will go from 200+MB down, decreasing to 40MB at ALL times throughout the...
  3. Ping Spikes, Intermittent Internet Speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ping Spikes, Intermittent Internet Speeds: Hello,I am using Windows 11, 11th Gen Intel Core i5 *** Email address is removed for privacy *** GHz; 6 core 32GB Ram new build this year.My internet speeds often get ping spikes and latency issues, and will go from 200+MB down, decreasing to 40MB at ALL times throughout the...
  4. Website access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Website access: Hi All,I need help in one of the scenarios where,There is a website https://www.loopia.com which I'm unable to access through my domain system and the same website I can access when I am adding the alternative DNS address 8.8.8.8.There are no filters applied for this website...
  5. Website access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Website access: Hi All,I need help in one of the scenarios where,There is a website https://www.loopia.com which I'm unable to access through my domain system and the same website I can access when I am adding the alternative DNS address 8.8.8.8.There are no filters applied for this website...
  6. Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing: I'm using Windows 10 pro with the last update on 2 PC at the same network. 1 PC have LaserJet printer and the other one is dot matrix printer. I already install each driver and set for sharing option. - First test, tried to connect from PC 2 with dot matrix printer to...
  7. Access website: I can no longer access a website I used regularly

Access website: I can no longer access a website I used regularly: How can I bring up a website I had previously used, but now get message cannot be reached. * Moved from IE10/other https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-website-i-can-no-longer-access-a-website-i/1b4ba491-12b2-4432-bf16-7e7815f0e22a
  8. Accessing a website

Accessing a website: I am trying to access this website to do homework, but it seems that I can only open such website on a friend's mac book. The website also works on my iPhone's safari browser but won't open on my laptop. I have a Windows surface tablet/laptop, the newest one to come out. I...
  9. Website not accessible

Website not accessible: I was using this https://www.weebly.com/editor/ website up until my last changes to it on Aug 5th. Now I get this message:  Hmmm...can’t reach this page Try this Make sure you’ve got the right web address: https://21939392-407234595257671998.preview.editmysite.com...
  10. I can not access the FedEx website...

in Browsers and Email
    I can not access the FedEx website...: Apple is sending me a replacement iPad, and I can't access the FedEx website. Should I reset my browser or what should I do? 88199