Windows 10: Can setting up a VM cause damage to main system

Discus and support Can setting up a VM cause damage to main system in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, It's many years since I looked at setting up a VM so memory is a bit hazy If you set one up wrongly can it mess anything up on your PC I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by paulsalter, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Can setting up a VM cause damage to main system

Hi,

It's many years since I looked at setting up a VM so memory is a bit hazy

If you set one up wrongly can it mess anything up on your PC

I am assuming the worst that can happen is if you allocate RAM wrongly you main machine will possibly crash but a reboot would fix this

Thanks

:)

paulsalter, Oct 1, 2014
  2. tjcater Win User

Can I dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on the same drive without partitioning

Up until now I have been using a VM running off of Hyper-V however I avoid putting my VMs on my main drive (Had bad experiences with VMs and Windows accessing the same drive at the same time).

tjcater, Oct 1, 2014
  3. HairyFool Win User
    How to install Windows XP on Hyper-V virtual machine?

The Media menu is in the VM Window not the Hyper-V manager Window, Select the previously created VM in the main panel of Manager and lower right you will find Connect. This opens the VM monitor Window without actually starting the VM. You can the insert
    the CD image and "turn on" the VM.

HairyFool, Oct 1, 2014
  4. bromanbro Win User

Can setting up a VM cause damage to main system

I haven't heard anything like that.

But then again I haven't run a VM for years lol. Don't trust my advice.

bromanbro, Oct 1, 2014
  5. You should be fine, you would have to work very hard to break anything using virtualbox. It is pretty straightforward too.

frostbyrne, Oct 1, 2014
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree.. I've never had an issue with VMWare.

BunnyJ, Oct 1, 2014
  7. Thanks for replies, didn't think there was but wanted to check

Have VMware installed, just need to wait for a time when I can download 10 to install

paulsalter, Oct 1, 2014
  8. Boozad Win User

Yes, under certain circumstances if you're not vigilant. Say your OS resides on a 120GB SSD, and with a handful of other programs on there you have 60GB free. When setting up your VM in VMWare the default installation path is C: so if you create a virtual machine that will ever be allowed to reach that size you would have a problem. It would be easily sorted by simply deleting the VM, but if you have spent time setting it up you won't want to be doing that.

If you do set it up correctly though, as others have said, it can't affect your main machine.

Boozad, Oct 1, 2014
  9. BRU
    bru Win User
    I don't quite understand how the VM uses resources. During set up it asks how much Memory to allocate. If my system has 4GB and I allocate 2GB to the VM does that mean my main system will now only have 2GB to work with? Or can I give it everything and it will use what it needs with no effect on the host?

Someone said I should install the 32-bit version of Win 10 as a VM even though I have a 64-bit system because it will perform better with less memory. So I assumed the above reason was why.

10. strollin Win User
    You have it right. If you allocate 2GB to the VM, then you'll have that much less RAM for your main system. It's best on a system with only 4GB of RAM to stick with 32-bit for guest OSes.

strollin, Oct 2, 2014
  11. Kari Win User
    The RAM assigned to vm is taken from the total amount of RAM available on your host. As the host still needs some of it to run, you cannot assign all of your host RAM to a vm. In your case you can assign a maximum of 2.5 to 2.8 GB to a vm out of 4 GB total, depending on the virtualization program you are using.

Some virtualization programs allow using so called Dynamic RAM. When Dynamic RAM is selected, the vm uses at any given moment only as much RAM as it needs though at least a set minimum, and never more than the set maximum. This example from Hyper-V virtualization, my Windows 10 Tech Preview vm:

Can setting up a VM cause damage to main system [​IMG]

Dynamic RAM enabled (yellow highlight), the VM starts with 1024 MB (#1) and is allowed to decrease and increase the amount of RAM it uses as it sees fit, though always using a minimum of 512 MB and never exceeding 4096 MB (#2).

12. BRU
    bru Win User
    Thanks to both of you for the excellent explanation.

13. Can setting up a VM cause damage to main system

Hope and am not going to get major issues trying to get 10 working

Just spent 12 hours downloading the 64-bit version and I only have 4GB RAM, currently on 8 i am at 41% RAM used so hopefully have enough to spare

Thanks for tip, will remember that for the future

paulsalter, Oct 2, 2014
  14. strollin Win User
    You'll only be able to allocate 2GB (at most) to the VM. 64-bit Win 10 should install in 2GB but probably won't run optimally.

strollin, Oct 2, 2014
  15. Kari Win User
    If host has 4 GB, Hyper-V allows you to assign 2.8 GB of that to vm, although it leaves so little RAM to host that you can only run the vm if you have at least 3.2 GB free RAM when vm is launched.

Here a screenshot from a 4 GB system. I try to assign all RAM (4 GB) to vm (#1), system warns me and tells what's the maximum (#2):

Can setting up a VM cause damage to main system [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Can setting up a VM cause damage to main system - Similar Threads - setting cause damage

2. Bluescreen 0x00000133 caused by VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluescreen 0x00000133 caused by VM: I do get bluescrrens on my Windows 10 22H2 host when ever I make a git clone in side a Virtual mashine I run an this host with virtualalbox. Im not sure if other type of networktrafic is also causing this issue. I can only say that normel web browsing and file transfer is not...
  3. Bluescreen 0x00000133 caused by VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluescreen 0x00000133 caused by VM: I do get bluescrrens on my Windows 10 22H2 host when ever I make a git clone in side a Virtual mashine I run an this host with virtualalbox. Im not sure if other type of networktrafic is also causing this issue. I can only say that normel web browsing and file transfer is not...
  4. Bluescreen 0x00000133 caused by VM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Virus Damage my System and it won't boot up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus Damage my System and it won't boot up: I got a virus on my pc that killed it and it doesn't even power on. Does anyone how to help me fix it?[Original Title: My pc died] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-damage-my-system-and-it-wont-boot-up/37363768-bf4f-4499-90b3-1741f07201e3
  6. Small set of games causing a system lock up and crash.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Small set of games causing a system lock up and crash.: I have been talking with Sega support for about 3 weeks now about a problem I have been having with a few of my games causing my screen to flash a color and lock up my system forcing me to do a hard reset each time. I have tried reinstalling the Steam launcher and the games...
  7. Damage Caused By Tech Support

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Damage Caused By Tech Support: Yesterday morning I had a notification saying that my Windows license was about to expire. I checked the PC, using help boards etc, to check the issue. Everything I checked said, "Windows 10 Pro - Windows is activated, but the message kept returning. I called the Microsoft...
  8. Windows System is Damaged

Windows System is Damaged: I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on my home PC. I've been receiving pop ups that inform me that my Windows system is damaged. Obviously this is a scam. I've performed full system scans with both Malwarebytes and Windows Defender and both report that my system is...
  9. YOUR SYSTEM IS DAMAGED

YOUR SYSTEM IS DAMAGED: I keep getting this message (SYSTEM WARNING - YOUR WINDOWS SYSTEM IS DAMAGED in a box vaguely resembling Microsoft) advising me that the whole world and my files are being deleted unless I update a damaged Windows 10. Now I am aware this is a scam of sorts but how do I stop...
  10. Alert Pop Up Message - Your Windows System is Damaged

Alert Pop Up Message - Your Windows System is Damaged: Dear Community, I keep getting this pop-up message in my MSN using Microsoft Edge. The pop up states "Your Windows System is Damaged" and requesting payment. It appears it is a virus or malware. My Windows defender has performed full scans with no threats or viruses...