Windows 10: Can share files/printers but can't "see" other computer on my network

Discus and support Can share files/printers but can't "see" other computer on my network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I click on "Network" in the Explorer, it doesn't show the other computer named "hostname" on my local ethernet network. However, if I enter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jgn_702, Apr 14, 2021.

1. jgn_702 Win User

Can share files/printers but can't "see" other computer on my network

When I click on "Network" in the Explorer, it doesn't show the other computer named "hostname" on my local ethernet network. However, if I enter "\\hostname" in the search bar, then the shared printers and files set for sharing show up and I can access them and print.

There are an unending number of posts from the community and MS support on how to make other PC's on a network visible and I've tried many, many of these "solutions" with no luck. This includes a network reset and clicking "yes" to the question of making other computers visible.

Right now this is a cosmetic issue, since I can access shared files, but I'd like to fix it so that I can just use the explorer to see a PC on the network, and click on it to access files. Seems like it should be a simple fix.

Greg

:)

jgn_702, Apr 14, 2021
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

3. topgundcp Win User
    Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer

@dk1971
    1. Open Admin command and type: ipconfig

Can share files/printers but can't "see" other computer on my network [​IMG]
    2. Win+X->Control Panel->Netwok and Sharing Center
      Follow the screen shot. This should disable internet access from this PC but allows access to local device(s)
      NOTE: Use the IP & Subnet Mask from step 1. Leave Default gateway & DNS Server blank

Can share files/printers but can't "see" other computer on my network [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 14, 2021
  4. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Can share files/printers but can't "see" other computer on my network - Similar Threads - share files printers

2. SOLUTION for Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SOLUTION for Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.: I had the same problem and the fix is to delete the Trigger for FDResPub as follows:Delete The Trigger For FDResPubDeleting trigger for Function Discovery Resource Publication service to fix the network computer not showing up issues.Open the command prompt with administrator...
  3. can't see other computer on network

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't see other computer on network: can't see other computer on network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-see-other-computer-on-network/fc92edc5-902e-4798-a93f-91bcb538d14f
  4. Can See Other Device on Network but not the shared files!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can See Other Device on Network but not the shared files!: Hi So glad in the last few years there is OneDive so that we haven't had to deal with these stupid Network sharing issues. But today I do need to access a folder on another PC in our network which I don't want to put into OneDrive. I can see the PC, but it only has...
  5. Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.: I have windows 10 - updated with the latest software. Network adapter drivers are the latest. I am connected via eithernet or Wifi and have the SAME issue. I enabled the settings to allow network discovery and to be seen on the network for private networks. Both Wifi and...
  6. One computer on my network can't see the other

One computer on my network can't see the other: Hi, I'd love some help please. I have two Windows 10 PCs on the same network. One is on Wifi and the other connects to the wireless router via a power link plug socket. Within the Netwok tab of Windows Explorer, the desktop PC can see the laptop and can open the shared...
  7. File sharing - unable to see other computers

File sharing - unable to see other computers: I have only two computers on my home network connected by a switch/router. It used to work fine when it comes to sharing and transferring files. They can usually see each other after turning on sharing for any individual folders or files, though, sometime, it does take a few...
  8. windows 10 can not see other computers and shares on network

windows 10 can not see other computers and shares on network: Hello, i have a problem with my computer. I have Asus RT-AC87U AC2400 Gigabit Wireless router. I have a seagate free agent drive connected to router and shared it with samba/cifs protocol. My computer is connected to router trought cable over one switch. Problem is that i...
  9. Cannot see other computer shares on home network

Cannot see other computer shares on home network: I just re-installed Windows 10 clean on my wife's computer. Network Discovery is turned on but I cannot see other computers on my home network. When I enter the UNC path to any network share I get the following: "You don't have permission to access the share". This...
  10. Can't see other computers on my network

Can't see other computers on my network: I have two Win 7 computers on my wired network and 6 Win XP computers on this same network. This main computer was Win 7 and just upgraded to Win 10 in November. For a year this network has worked just fine, plug and play basically when I set it up, now after Christmas...