Windows 10: Can/Should I enable secure boot?

Discus and support Can/Should I enable secure boot? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Built my system myself about two years ago now, and while investigating my system's compatibility with Windows 11, I learned that secure boot is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by glen.c123, Jul 28, 2021.

1. glen.c123 Win User

Can/Should I enable secure boot?

Built my system myself about two years ago now, and while investigating my system's compatibility with Windows 11, I learned that secure boot is disabled, but is supported by my hardware. Now, I am wondering if enabling secure boot is a good idea, are there any drawbacks or risks of data loss/loosing access? Another question is whether I can enable it properly, as I read that it should have been enabled prior to my Windows 10 install and that it also depends on whether Windows was installed in UEFI or BIOS mode?? Any advice appreciated.TLDR;Can I enable secure boot post Windows installation?Sh

:)

glen.c123, Jul 28, 2021

2. Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Jul 28, 2021
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

• Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Oh and OSX
    Here is a statement from a Kernal Developer at Red Hat:

I'm not sure this exploits the legacy BIOS but rather it exploits the legacy boot method on MBR drives, injecting a signed key before the OS boots, which you are correct in that it has nothing to do with Windows 8. And the simplest fix would just be to require boot drives use GPT when Secure Boot is enabled in UEFI.

newtekie1, Jul 28, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

enable secure boot

Hi ShowMeGirl1

To enable Secure Boot, your PC must have UEFI BIOS and you need to boot your PC into BIOS

Start your PC, on the manufacturers logo screen, there is generally an indication of how to boot your PC into Setup - usually it is F2, or F12 . .

On the Manufacturers Screen, repeatedly press that appropriate key, so your system boots into BIOS

If you do have UEFI, you will see the Secure Boot and legacy Boot options, turn off Legacy Boot (if applicable) and turn on Secure Boot

Also Please Note: to enable Secure Boot, your hard drive must be GPT, not MBR!

DaveM121, Jul 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Can/Should I enable secure boot? - Similar Threads - Should enable secure

2. How can i enable uefi and secure boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i enable uefi and secure boot?: so i wanted to try out windows 11 on my pc and it says it dosent meet the requirements because secure boot isn’t enabled. I tried changing the bios from legacy to ufei but when i pressed save and exit it kept going back to the bios until I switched it back to legacy please...
  3. How can i enable uefi and secure boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i enable uefi and secure boot?: so i wanted to try out windows 11 on my pc and it says it dosent meet the requirements because secure boot isn’t enabled. I tried changing the bios from legacy to ufei but when i pressed save and exit it kept going back to the bios until I switched it back to legacy please...
  4. How can I change the secure boot to enable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change the secure boot to enable?: I have an Asus laptop with Windows 11, and secure boot is locked in the "Disabled" position. The following three things appear:Platform Mode: SetupSecure boot: DisabledVendor keys: Not ActiveI can't change the secure boot to "enabled," and I have checked that TPM 2.0 is...
  5. How can I change the secure boot to enable?

How can I change the secure boot to enable?: I have an Asus laptop with Windows 11, and secure boot is locked in the "Disabled" position. The following three things appear:Platform Mode: SetupSecure boot: DisabledVendor keys: Not ActiveI can't change the secure boot to "enabled," and I have checked that TPM 2.0 is...
  6. Enable Secure Boot

Enable Secure Boot: When I enable secure boot mode in the bios, and go to windows I get "Secure Boot Status: Not Compatible" how can I fix it? I have an Asus Prime A320m-k motherboard, ryzen 3100, 16 ram and RX570 PD: I have seen other people with the same motherboard with secure boot mode...
  7. Enable Secure Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Enable Secure Boot: When I enable secure boot mode in the bios, and go to windows I get "Secure Boot Status: Not Compatible" how can I fix it? I have an Asus Prime A320m-k motherboard, ryzen 3100, 16 ram and RX570 PD: I have seen other people with the same motherboard with secure boot mode...
  8. Enable Secure boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable Secure boot: Hello everyone, I've trying to enable secure boot in my pc in the BIOS I have a gigabyte motherboard, and I'm doing this because I want to play Valorant in my pc. I have the TPM 2.0 activated but the secure boot not. When I'm trying to change this in the Bios Disabled the CSM...
  9. Enable Secure boot

Enable Secure boot: Hello everyone, I've trying to enable secure boot in my pc in the BIOS I have a gigabyte motherboard, and I'm doing this because I want to play Valorant in my pc. I have the TPM 2.0 activated but the secure boot not. When I'm trying to change this in the Bios Disabled the CSM...
  10. Enabling Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling Secure Boot: Hello, I have Windows 11 home. My motherboard is a Z590 Aorus Pro Ax. When I go into my Bios it says that I have secure boot mode "enabled". However, when I go to my system information it says "Secure Boot State: Off". I'm trying to figure how to turn it on. It seems like...