Windows 10: Can someone explain privacy on Microsoft family to me?

Discus and support Can someone explain privacy on Microsoft family to me? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm an adult, but my Dad has a family account and suggested I add myself to it so that I can use OneDrive/Microsoft Office. I did this, and the email I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sleighgams, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Can someone explain privacy on Microsoft family to me?

I'm an adult, but my Dad has a family account and suggested I add myself to it so that I can use OneDrive/Microsoft Office. I did this, and the email I received implied that I was a child (ie. "now you can ask an adult to buy you stuff from the MS store", etc). I checked and my date of birth on the account is correct so I'm not sure why this is the case. Then I went to the website and noticed how the "organizer" of the family is able to get access to my browsing history and other similar things. This really creeped me out so I left the family group immediately.

Can someone explain how I can join this only to get access to the cloud storage and not opt in to any of the other weird stuff? I literally don't want anyone to be able to see anything of mine other than my username. I only want office and cloud storage, nothing else from the family package. To be honest it makes me uncomfortable that I was able to opt into something like this without being made explicitly aware of it first.

submitted by /u/sleighgams
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sleighgams, Sep 14, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Microsoft Family Screen Time

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This could happen when the child account fails to sync with the server. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and navigate to the following location:
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls

Note:
      The above mentioned directory is hidden, copy and paste the same location on the search bar in the File Explorer to access it.
    • Delete the contents in the
      \\settings
      directory of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may want to remove the child account from Microsoft family and add it again.

• To know how to remove an account from Microsoft Family, refer:

Remove members from your family group
    • To know how to add an account to Microsoft Family, refer:

Add members to your family group

Regards,

Junaid_A, Sep 14, 2020
  3. PXMC Win User
    Removing Microsoft Family Account

I cant get access to any of my kids in the Family Account feature. There is only the ability to 'add members' not remove.

A moderator in response to another suggested the following fix.

"We appreciate your response. To further troubleshoot your concern with Microsoft Family Protection, we suggest that you disable the Family Safety feature using Command Prompt. To do so, Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key+ X, then click on Command Prompt (Admin). If ymanually ou are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Yes.
    2. In the Command Prompt window, enter these commands:
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /Disable

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh" /Disable

3. Restart your PC.

Unfortunately for me, this does not work.

I get an 'error access is denied', ERROR: Invalid syntax. '/Change' option is not allowed more than '1' time(s) and finally ERROR: The specified task name "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh" does not exist in the system.

How do i solve this problem?

Thanks, Paul

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy

4. Can someone explain privacy on Microsoft family to me?

Microsoft Family

Hi,

It could be because of the settings on the Family and Safety feature or the account you're using is added to a Family. With that being said, we suggest that you check if the account that you are using is a part of the
    Family list. To check on it, go to Cortana
    and search for Family Options.

To remove your account to the Family, you may follow the steps below:

• Use the Adult account to log in using this link.
    • Click on the Family tab.
    • On the account that you want to remove, click More > Remove from family.
    • Then click Remove to confirm.

Let us know how it goes and feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

PreciousLeb, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

Can someone explain privacy on Microsoft family to me?

1. Can someone explain privacy on Microsoft family to me? - Similar Threads - someone explain privacy

2. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone explain this sorting?: Can someone explain this sorting? I have it sorted by name ascending https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-sorting/8dfd3e0c-6389-4942-8939-753f3c0d8587
  3. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can someone explain this sorting?: Can someone explain this sorting? I have it sorted by name ascending https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-sorting/8dfd3e0c-6389-4942-8939-753f3c0d8587
  4. Can someone please explain me this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can someone please explain me this...: I have a Xbox One S Wireless Controller for Windows 10 (Bluetooth + WiFi adapter). The example game is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I have a MSI MEG Z390 Motherboard with a case which has 4x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.1 ports in the back and 2x USB 3.1 ports on the front panel. The...
  5. Can someone explain this to me?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can someone explain this to me?: [ATTACH] Turned on my laptop and got this notification. Is there something I should do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-to-me/8e96668f-8d35-46ef-b971-4e07b2194af5
  6. Can someone please explain these netstat results to me?

Can someone please explain these netstat results to me?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/JimmyDingus321 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gl6sbq/can_someone_please_explain_these_netstat_results/
  7. Can someone explain this from windows defender to me?

Can someone explain this from windows defender to me?: [ATTACH] first of i have no idea why it suddenly blocked spotify when i have been using it for a while on this pc.But i wanna know the implications of the checkboxes. why is the not recommended option always ticked by default? and does it matter which one i tick if this pc...
  8. can someone explain this please

in Windows 10 Customization
    can someone explain this please: I set my folder views to a certain view: details, group by type and sort by date modified. Why is it I can hit the apply to all folders button this view, all my folders look the same, I can literally open and close the folder and it has the same view, I can do this everyday...
  9. Can someone explain databases to me?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone explain databases to me?: I had never heard of these programs until trying to find one that will work with something I just downloaded. What exactly is a database and why do I need one for some programs? Are these databases files on my machine, or do they require Internet connection? If so, where are...
  10. can someone explain this??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can someone explain this??: since forever when I open windows explorer or file explorer and click on network I get a list of computers in my network or a list divided into computers, media devices, etc. Today I get this [img] White-Lightning and Black-Lightning are both computers. Black is the...