Windows 10: Can someone explain which adapter will work for a VGA monitor

Discus and support Can someone explain which adapter will work for a VGA monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; So i got a monitor with HDMI and VGA only. my graphics card (Gtx 1070) has HDMI and DVI-D Dual Link only. I tried connecting the monitor to the pc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by xshabz, Mar 31, 2017.

1. xshabz Win User

Can someone explain which adapter will work for a VGA monitor

So i got a monitor with HDMI and VGA only.
    my graphics card (Gtx 1070) has HDMI and DVI-D Dual Link only.
    I tried connecting the monitor to the pc with hdmi but it didnt work, i got no signal, i dont know what to do, how do i get image on my monitor?
    i saw something about DVI-D to VGA active connectors and i also saw HDMI to VGA adapters but i dont know what works or what doesnt work, i just need some help ahah.

:)

xshabz, Mar 31, 2017
  2. mlg63 Win User

Dual Monitor Boot

VGA adapters don't work because of the analog to digital connections. Also you cannot split one vga port and need a separate vga port--which as you know is obsolete now. Upgrade your monitors, video card or both to use dual monitors without problems.

mlg63, Mar 31, 2017
  3. Windows 10 won't install with VGA monitor

there is no VGA port on the computer.

Just two DVI ports connected to the Graphics card.

The VGA to DVI adapter fits into the VGA monitor, it also fits into the DVI port. How can if be the wrong adapter if it fits???

The monitor says the same thing no matter which DVI port it is plugged in to.

this is the cable:

Cable Matters® Active DVI-D to VGA Male to Female Adapter - 10 Inches

thank you for the help.

Tryin2Install, Mar 31, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Perhaps a DVI to VGA adapter

Can someone explain which adapter will work for a VGA monitor [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 31, 2017
  5. xshabz Win User
    yeah i purchased one off Ebay, hopefully it works...
    i also got a HDMI to VGA
    i just really dont want to buy a new monitor

xshabz, Mar 31, 2017
  6. I hope, that you have bought the right one, it took me 3 tries to get it.
    Then I have bought HDMI to VGA instead, because it was not working.

TairikuOkami, Mar 31, 2017
  7. bobkn Win User
    This looks like a passive DVI to VGA adapter, which wouldn't work with a DVI-D (digital only) port.

I'm a little surprised that the DVI port on the 1070 is DVI-D, but I checked specs on an eVGA model, and that's the claim.

For xshabz: most monitors have a control to determine which input they use. I have had to use that if the monitor didn't automatically find the correct input. Did you try that? If you supply the model number of the monitor, you may receive better help. I have never used an HDMI connection (DisplayPort has been my choice), but I hope there's no fundamental issue.

I was going to say something about expensive adapters, but I see that cheapish ones are for sale. Good luck, either way.

bobkn, Mar 31, 2017
  8. TrustMe Win User

For computer mice and keyboards you have to buy an ACTIVE adapter for them to work. The passive ones do not. I'm not sure about monitors but if I were you, I would but an active adapter.

TrustMe, Apr 1, 2017
  9. xshabz Win User
  10. xshabz Win User
    Oh wait would Displayport to VGA adapters work
    or a Displayport to Hdmi???

xshabz, Apr 1, 2017
  11. Helmut Win User
    Buy another HDMI to HDMI lead. Or get a DVI-D to HDMI lead.
    Always have spares of such things, they are often of poor quality.

You don't need any adapters.

Helmut, Apr 1, 2017
  12. xshabz Win User
  13. bobkn Win User

Not that one. It's to connect a laptop's HDMI port to a monitor that requires a DVI-D input. (The Q&A for the product indicates that it's only intend to work in that direction. Seems odd, for a passive cable, but I don't know better.)

This adaptor: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...ptor-codvihdad

(You'd need an HDMI cable as well) is spec'd to work in both directions.

But, I still think that an HDMI cable should work without any adaptors. Connect the HDMI cable (it's supposed to be a high speed one, which may mean 10.2Gbps). Try the "input" button, which is the one just left of the power button. The monitor is supposed to autodetect which input is in use, but its defaults to the VGA one, and I wouldn't be shocked if the autodetection wasn't working properly.

bobkn, Apr 1, 2017
  14. xshabz Win User
    I used my PS4 Hdmi cable...
    The ps4 did actually work on the monitor

xshabz, Apr 1, 2017
  15. I have numerous USB to PS2 adapters that are passive and work just fine with the keyboards and mice they came with. And they quit often work with other keyboards I have around. Not all mice/keyboards support USB to PS2 adapters though.

As far as DVI goes, as mentioned, there is DVI-D which is Digital only and DVI-I which is Integrated, Digital and analog. The passive DVI to VGA adapters will only work with DVI-I.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can someone explain which adapter will work for a VGA monitor - Similar Threads - someone explain adapter

2. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone explain this sorting?: Can someone explain this sorting? I have it sorted by name ascending https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-sorting/8dfd3e0c-6389-4942-8939-753f3c0d8587
  3. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can someone explain this sorting?: Can someone explain this sorting? I have it sorted by name ascending https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-sorting/8dfd3e0c-6389-4942-8939-753f3c0d8587
  4. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can someone please explain me this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can someone please explain me this...: I have a Xbox One S Wireless Controller for Windows 10 (Bluetooth + WiFi adapter). The example game is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I have a MSI MEG Z390 Motherboard with a case which has 4x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.1 ports in the back and 2x USB 3.1 ports on the front panel. The...
  6. Can someone explain 08002BE10318

in Windows 10 Support
    Can someone explain 08002BE10318: Why do I see this number on loads of the GUID strings? 08002BE10318 Windows Version 10.0.18363.1256 171224
  7. Can someone explain this to me?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can someone explain this to me?: [ATTACH] Turned on my laptop and got this notification. Is there something I should do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-to-me/8e96668f-8d35-46ef-b971-4e07b2194af5
  8. can someone explain how EFS works ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can someone explain how EFS works ?: i encrypted a folder and back up my key on flash drive. but when i added another account (administrator), they were able to modify the folder like delete or copying the files inside. although they cannot open any files on it. how to disable file modify from other user...
  9. can someone explain this please

in Windows 10 Customization
    can someone explain this please: I set my folder views to a certain view: details, group by type and sort by date modified. Why is it I can hit the apply to all folders button this view, all my folders look the same, I can literally open and close the folder and it has the same view, I can do this everyday...
  10. can someone explain this??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can someone explain this??: since forever when I open windows explorer or file explorer and click on network I get a list of computers in my network or a list divided into computers, media devices, etc. Today I get this [img] White-Lightning and Black-Lightning are both computers. Black is the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why do vga adaptors dont work properly