Windows 10: Can Someone Help me Write a Script

Discus and support Can Someone Help me Write a Script in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use an old kvm switch without active ddc so I am always having to open screen resolution settings and click detect. I would like to make a script... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lgentry, Jul 13, 2015.

1. lgentry Win User

Can Someone Help me Write a Script

I use an old kvm switch without active ddc so I am always having to open screen resolution settings and click detect.
    I would like to make a script file and then a shortcut to the file to do this for me but I have never written a script and can't figure out how to do it. Also, do I need to have a program in order for the script file to work. Can one of you tell me how I might accomplish this. Thanks

:)

lgentry, Jul 13, 2015
  2. ogun228 Win User

Can someone help me write a small batch file?

YESSS! It worked once I corrected syntactical errors. You are THE MAN. Thank yo very much.

I also had a chance to revisit my old DOS skills, killed by GUI.

J-D

ogun228, Jul 13, 2015
  3. Can someone help me write a small batch file?

Did the command icacls give you errors that say you don't have permissions?

If that is the case you can try it in an Administrator command window.

Select: Win Key + X -> Command Prompt (admin)

To get to the right folder use the cd command

For instance: cd C:\

That takes you to the top folder/directory.

From there you can cd (change directory) down one directory at a time. If you type: cd (and the a few characters of the right directory name and then <Tab Key> it will fill in the name).

You can also use the dir command to get a listing of the current directory type: dir<Enter Key>

A_User_Here, Jul 13, 2015
  4. Can Someone Help me Write a Script

DonationCoder.com has a sub-forum dedicated to just these small requests called Coding Snacks. You may submit your request here:
    Post New Requests Here - DonationCoder.com

Please read the rules before posting. But the type of thing you are talking about should be quite easy. Also you may wish to read about DonationCoder here:
    DonationCoder.com

Donations are encouraged but voluntary. If you have any questions about signing up or using the site contact Mouser.

MilesAhead, Jul 13, 2015
  5. NUS
    Nus Win User
    If you don't know how to program then it would probably be to complicated to do that for your first script.

Check you have Windows Powershell installed, it should be listed on the Start menu, and I'll see if I can knock something up for you.

6. lgentry Win User
    Yes, I have powershell. I REALLY appreciate your time and effort.

lgentry, Jul 14, 2015
  7. NUS
    Nus Win User
    As I can't replicate the same issue you've got this may need tweaking for your system, so report back.

Rather than open the Control Panel Display properties and clicking detect, this uses the Windows API to detect display devices.

There's a powershell script with the code and a batch file to run the script without having to change your system execution policies. You can place these files wherever you want but you will have to edit the .bat file and put in a new location. As it is, I've set it to run from C:\Program Files\Detect. So create this folder and put the two files in it. You can then create a shortcut to the .bat file on your Desktop.

Detect.zip

8. lgentry Win User

Nus, this did not work for me but DonationCoder told me that a simple shortcut with the following as target
    will "detect display" Hope someone else finds this and it is beneficial. Thank you so much for your time and effort., I don't know what I would do without all the help I receive from gurus such as yourself. I am really amazing how many people across the web give of themselves to assist strangers. Good will is alive and well in the computing world.

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -Command "Get-CimInstance -Namespace root\wmi -ClassName WmiMonitorBasicDisplayParams | Out-Null"

edit 7/23/15 I forgot to add that this shortcut must be "run as administrator"

lgentry, Jul 18, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    What does it do for you? I ran it just for kicks and it took 5 seconds or so then exited but I could not detect anything happening, probably because my resolution was already correct.

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2015
  10. NUS
    Nus Win User
    No, worries, that looks like a simpler method, heh.

I've got a script to set resolution, colour depth and refresh rate, so say if you need that.

Thema:

1. Can Someone Help me Write a Script - Similar Threads - Someone Help Write

2. Can someone help me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone help me?: My PC is windows 10, 8 GB of RAM, CPU cooling, and I forgot the rest. My Keyboard and Mouse haven't been connecting nor my monitor. This has been happening for the past 4 months and I have watched every video on YouTube but they were no help. Someone please help me solve this...
  3. Can someone help me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone help me?: I need help the faster as posible please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-help-me/d4888b79-6281-49f3-b4f1-4b419c8a7b68
  4. Can someone help me with this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can someone help me with this?: So, I reset my PC because I kept getting blue screened, and there are now these broken shortcuts on my desktop that I can't get rid of. Can these be removed, and how? submitted by /u/osu_watuurmelon [link] [comments]...
  5. Can someone help me?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can someone help me?: Hey I would appreciate any help with this,This problem started happening recently on my Laptop. I turn on the machine and it greets me with a message: "You've entered an incorrect PIN several times." Then makes me enter a challenge phrase which is always A1B2C3. Next I try to...
  6. Can someone help me?

Can someone help me?: I was playing Apex Legends today and I noticed I was lagging which I thought was really weird, so I checked my task manager and both my GPU and Ethernet were at 100% usage. I lowered all graphic to minimum and and the problem didn't go away. I also tried to open Valorant and...
  7. Can someone help me?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone help me?: Hi Everyone, I would to inform to you and ask for you help in this situation. I was trying to download this game, but it says "UPDATE YOUR DEVICE TO INSTALL THIS GAME". I went to Update and Security in the Settings and I check for updates but there wasn't any. Can a kind...
  8. Can someone help me?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can someone help me?: Hi Everyone, I would to inform to you and ask for you help in this situation. I was trying to download this game, but it says "UPDATE YOUR DEVICE TO INSTALL THIS GAME". I went to Update and Security in the Settings and I check for updates but there wasn't any. Can a kind...
  9. Can someone help me with this

Can someone help me with this: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Guwxp_Jr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lgqjae/can_someone_help_me_with_this/
  10. Can someone help me?

Can someone help me?: submitted by /u/M1ghty_boy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dtvlzs/can_someone_help_me/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is there someone that can help me write a script