Can Someone Help me Write a Script

Discus and support Can Someone Help me Write a Script in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I use an old kvm switch without active ddc so I am always having to open screen resolution settings and click detect. I would like to make a script... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lgentry, Jul 14, 2015.

1. lgentry Win User

I use an old kvm switch without active ddc so I am always having to open screen resolution settings and click detect.
    I would like to make a script file and then a shortcut to the file to do this for me but I have never written a script and can't figure out how to do it. Also, do I need to have a program in order for the script file to work. Can one of you tell me how I might accomplish this. Thanks

:)

lgentry, Jul 14, 2015
  2. ogun228 Win User

Can someone help me write a small batch file?

YESSS! It worked once I corrected syntactical errors. You are THE MAN. Thank yo very much.

I also had a chance to revisit my old DOS skills, killed by GUI.

J-D

ogun228, Jul 14, 2015
  3. A_User_Here Win User
    Can someone help me write a small batch file?

Did the command icacls give you errors that say you don't have permissions?

If that is the case you can try it in an Administrator command window.

Select: Win Key + X -> Command Prompt (admin)

To get to the right folder use the cd command

For instance: cd C:\

That takes you to the top folder/directory.

From there you can cd (change directory) down one directory at a time. If you type: cd (and the a few characters of the right directory name and then <Tab Key> it will fill in the name).

You can also use the dir command to get a listing of the current directory type: dir<Enter Key>

A_User_Here, Jul 14, 2015
  4. MilesAhead Win User

DonationCoder.com has a sub-forum dedicated to just these small requests called Coding Snacks. You may submit your request here:
    Post New Requests Here - DonationCoder.com

Please read the rules before posting. But the type of thing you are talking about should be quite easy. Also you may wish to read about DonationCoder here:
    DonationCoder.com

Donations are encouraged but voluntary. If you have any questions about signing up or using the site contact Mouser.

MilesAhead, Jul 14, 2015
  5. NUS
    Nus Win User
    If you don't know how to program then it would probably be to complicated to do that for your first script.

Check you have Windows Powershell installed, it should be listed on the Start menu, and I'll see if I can knock something up for you.

6. lgentry Win User
    Yes, I have powershell. I REALLY appreciate your time and effort.

lgentry, Jul 15, 2015
  7. NUS
    Nus Win User
    As I can't replicate the same issue you've got this may need tweaking for your system, so report back.

Rather than open the Control Panel Display properties and clicking detect, this uses the Windows API to detect display devices.

There's a powershell script with the code and a batch file to run the script without having to change your system execution policies. You can place these files wherever you want but you will have to edit the .bat file and put in a new location. As it is, I've set it to run from C:\Program Files\Detect. So create this folder and put the two files in it. You can then create a shortcut to the .bat file on your Desktop.

Detect.zip

8. lgentry Win User

Nus, this did not work for me but DonationCoder told me that a simple shortcut with the following as target
    will "detect display" Hope someone else finds this and it is beneficial. Thank you so much for your time and effort., I don't know what I would do without all the help I receive from gurus such as yourself. I am really amazing how many people across the web give of themselves to assist strangers. Good will is alive and well in the computing world.

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -Command "Get-CimInstance -Namespace root\wmi -ClassName WmiMonitorBasicDisplayParams | Out-Null"

edit 7/23/15 I forgot to add that this shortcut must be "run as administrator"

lgentry, Jul 19, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    What does it do for you? I ran it just for kicks and it took 5 seconds or so then exited but I could not detect anything happening, probably because my resolution was already correct.

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2015
  10. NUS
    Nus Win User
    No, worries, that looks like a simpler method, heh.

I've got a script to set resolution, colour depth and refresh rate, so say if you need that.

Thema:

Can Someone Help me Write a Script - Similar Threads - Someone Help Write

Forum Date

Can someone help with Install_wim_tweak?

Can someone help with Install_wim_tweak?: Install_wim_tweak I found some info on the net, commands how to remove windows apps etc. But I do not know how to start using that app as there's not much on the net. I got Install_wim_tweak for framework 4.6 and planning to use it to remove some packages from current os...
Windows 10 Software and Apps Sep 1, 2015

Can Someone Help with a Corrupt Modern App?

Can Someone Help with a Corrupt Modern App?: Solitaire won't start - it crashes after the splash screen. I tried to update it through the store, but it fails. My first thought was to manually remove it using PowerShell, but attempting to remove it generates this error: Code: PS C:\Users\teddy> remove-appxpackage...
Windows 10 Software and Apps May 11, 2016

Can someone help me?!? apps not working!

Can someone help me?!? apps not working!: Hi guys. this morning i woke up. and all my minecraft doesent want to start up! skype says not responding! help!!! this is really frustrating. 35706
Windows 10 Software and Apps Dec 30, 2015

Need some help from someone familair with dropbox and symlinks

Need some help from someone familair with dropbox and symlinks: Ugh! Im at wits end here lol. All these years later i finally jump on the cloud storage bandwagon and nobody offers placeholders and syncing outside the client folder is rare at best. we're forced to use workarounds such as symlinks and while I do have it working in as...
Windows 10 Network and Sharing Nov 23, 2016

Delay for every keyboard, mouse all actions I take, Someone Help me??

Delay for every keyboard, mouse all actions I take, Someone Help me??: This computer is an ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 MOBO With Intel i5 CPU Running 64 bit Windows 10 Home edition for more than a Year. The O.S. is on the SSD drive. Here is my Problem ---> Everything I do has a 2 second up to 5 second delay in every piece of software, this...
Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance Feb 14, 2017

Someone please help! Sister's computer is acting very strange!

Someone please help! Sister's computer is acting very strange!: My sister's computer is acting very strange. Programs keep crashing. Also, when she right clicks on something, it sits and loads and doesn't do anything like it's not responding. Please help! 16075
Windows 10 Support Aug 13, 2015

Someone help me remove this dialog box please

Someone help me remove this dialog box please: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet It stays above everything and wont go away. Someone told me look in the taskbar icons or some settinging like that but no dice. 66650
Windows 10 Support Oct 11, 2016
Can Someone Help me Write a Script solved