Windows 10: Can someone please explain all the different user folders? This is too confusing!!!

Discus and support Can someone please explain all the different user folders? This is too confusing!!! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sorry if I sound really dumb here. I have used Windows 10 Pro for a while, but I am still confused and increasingly confused by all these different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnthonyGiorgianni1, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Can someone please explain all the different user folders? This is too confusing!!!

Sorry if I sound really dumb here.

I have used Windows 10 Pro for a while, but I am still confused and increasingly confused by all these different user folders, and I'm afraid I'm going to lose data.

I've got PC: Documents. I've got my user name Documents. I've got OneDrive whatever that is Documents. I've got Documents in a folder with my name on it along with app data, downloads, favorites, etc. in there. And I have PC<Documents. It's the same thing with AppData and a lot of other stuff. I even have my regular desktop and a OneDrive desktop, whatever that is.

The problem is I'm backing up Documents and AppData for certain folders. And now I realize I have different data in the different ones. I just download bunch of income tax forms. I've been looking looking for hours and downloading and saving again and again. Now I realize that they're the Document folder under my name and not one that under my in the Document folder under my user name, even though I was I thought that's where I was putting them. I keep backing up the Documents in my C:users<user folder, not realizianag that I'm not backing some of the stuff in my name<Document. And I haven o idea of there is other stuff in This Pc: Documents, where that is, or OneDrive Document, if that's even different.

Can I have just a single user folder like the old My Documents somewhere and get all my programs and browsers and open-with and everything to recognize that as the single place documents, app data, having everything default to that ? Can I get rid One Drive once and for all I've unlinked my PC from, but there is is a OneDrive? I've unlinked my PC, but there still are OneDrive paths on my machine

In other words, I just want one Document, apps folder etc., folder in place, perhaps under PC<users<user name and get rid of everything. Can I have PC<users<username<desktop and get rid of all the other desktops? The same with App data.

Many thanks. This is driving me crazy.

Anthony Giorgianni

:)

AnthonyGiorgianni1, Apr 19, 2021
  2. Kreij Win User

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Apr 19, 2021
  3. JAG01 Win User
    Confusion between User accounts and Windows Explorer User folders

The Windows Explorer lists two user folders. However, User Accounts in control panels only shows one account-mine. Why not two? Also, the folder name in Explorer is different than the one in User Accounts*cry. Why?

I'm throughly confused. What are the user folders in Window Explorer? Are they supposed to be accounts? Why don't they appear in User Accounts?*cry

I can find lots of info about User Accounts on line, but nothing about the folders in Windows Explorer.

JAG01, Apr 19, 2021
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Can someone please explain all the different user folders? This is too confusing!!!

Confused by different document folders

The summary of Try3 post is that you are seeing the difference between a link to a folder (such as the Documents library) and the real physical folder on the drive. These are the various user libraries which are just links to folders, not the real folder themselves:

Can someone please explain all the different user folders? This is too confusing!!! [​IMG]

These are the real folders on the SSD:

Can someone please explain all the different user folders? This is too confusing!!! [​IMG]

Note that the icon displayed for both the library links to the folders and the real folders themselves will change based upon the content type selected under the Customize menu of the folder/library properties.

NavyLCDR, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

Can someone please explain all the different user folders? This is too confusing!!!

1. Can someone please explain all the different user folders? This is too confusing!!! - Similar Threads - someone please explain

2. Can someone explain the benefits of all these applications?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone explain the benefits of all these applications?: Hello, I've installed windows 10 home 64x bit, and found these huge amount of microsoft visuals apps installed in control panel, some of them are duplicate. Should I uninstall all of them or at least the duplicate ones, or this might impact laptop's functionality?...
  3. Can someone explain the benefits of all these applications?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone explain the benefits of all these applications?: Hello, I've installed windows 10 home 64x bit, and found these huge amount of microsoft visuals apps installed in control panel, some of them are duplicate. Should I uninstall all of them or at least the duplicate ones, or this might impact laptop's functionality?...
  4. Can someone explain the benefits of all these applications?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can someone please explain the reason for this

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone please explain the reason for this: Now come on the MSN how does my comment NOT meet your guidelines, are you people seriously having a laugh, Talk about gagging normal words. Or is this just me not getting to grips with the English language even though I am 51 years old and pulled an A in English on my GSCE...
  6. Can someone please explain the reason for this

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone please explain the reason for this: Now come on the MSN how does my comment NOT meet your guidelines, are you people seriously having a laugh, Talk about gagging normal words. Or is this just me not getting to grips with the English language even though I am 51 years old and pulled an A in English on my GSCE...
  7. Can someone please explain me this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can someone please explain me this...: I have a Xbox One S Wireless Controller for Windows 10 (Bluetooth + WiFi adapter). The example game is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I have a MSI MEG Z390 Motherboard with a case which has 4x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.1 ports in the back and 2x USB 3.1 ports on the front panel. The...
  8. Can someone please explain these netstat results to me?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can someone please explain these netstat results to me?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/JimmyDingus321 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gl6sbq/can_someone_please_explain_these_netstat_results/
  9. can someone explain this please

in Windows 10 Customization
    can someone explain this please: I set my folder views to a certain view: details, group by type and sort by date modified. Why is it I can hit the apply to all folders button this view, all my folders look the same, I can literally open and close the folder and it has the same view, I can do this everyday...
  10. can someone explain this??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can someone explain this??: since forever when I open windows explorer or file explorer and click on network I get a list of computers in my network or a list divided into computers, media devices, etc. Today I get this [img] White-Lightning and Black-Lightning are both computers. Black is the...