Windows 10: Can someone tell if Windows 9 will not be like windows 8?

Discus and support Can someone tell if Windows 9 will not be like windows 8? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm hoping for a Windows 7 but improved. Can anyone confirm somewhat that Microsoft isn't planning to dig the idea behind Windows 8 even further... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Max Pen, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Max Pen Win User

Can someone tell if Windows 9 will not be like windows 8?

I'm hoping for a Windows 7 but improved.

Can anyone confirm somewhat that Microsoft isn't planning to dig the idea behind Windows 8 even further within the package of Windows 9?

Maybe instead head in a new direction that nobody sees coming. Much like the direction they took when releasing Windows 8 but then better for all of us.

That is more cool for us pc users.

:)

Max Pen, Dec 8, 2013
  2. mlg63 Win User

Can anyone tell me if you will be able to create desktop icons in Windows 10?

Yes you can create shortcuts on the desktop.

mlg63, Dec 8, 2013
  3. Can anyone tell me if you will be able to create desktop icons in Windows 10?

For some apps and depends on where you intiate it from.

For example, for many classic desktop apps, you will have to go to the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder at the root of the drive and browse the appropriate program files folder for the application, find the executable, right click and Send To
    > Desktop

Moder Apps (Universal apps) do not have the option for Desktop shortcuts.

For icons such as This PC, Network, Control Panel

Press Windows key + S

Type: show desktop icons

Hit Enter

Check off the icons you want displayed on the desktop.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 8, 2013
  4. Can someone tell if Windows 9 will not be like windows 8?

I have actually adopted to Windows 8 very quickly and prefer it over Windows 7 now (only slightly *Smile).

I believe Windows 9 will keep with the Windows 8 theme... not sure what to expect though but i don't think they will move away from what Windows 8 brings.

Maybe they will give you the option to use desktop/metro (On/Off option)

JDobbsy1987, Dec 8, 2013
  5. Too early to tell I would think. Its still along way from a finished product and lots of stuff could be added or removed. I would think they would just build on Windows 8 and try to fix what they consider its shortcomings.

alphanumeric, Dec 12, 2013
  6. Doubt it.

Windows Phone 8.1 and possibly the Threshold update is meant to tie the WinRT coding structure of the two platforms closer together. What Windows 9 will be more like is what we have today, except obviously different.

Some rumors I read a while ago before 8.1 was released was that if 8.1 doesn't do too hot as Microsoft expects, they'll go ahead and release a new version as Windows 9 to deflect the negative connotation of 8. But if 8.1 does decently enough, they'll go ahead with an updated version of Windows 8 as 8.2.

The problem I see however is that Windows 8 focused A LOT on the newer parts, but didn't do much to the older parts. That needs fixing. I don't like a Desktop style UI will fix it, there is life beyond that UI paradigm.

Coke Robot, Jan 2, 2014
  7. That's a tough nut to crack. I can see them wanting to pull the Desktop side of things more into the Modern UI. That's hard to do with all the flack about the missing classic start menu. I personally don't miss it. I am however fine with it being an option for those that want it. Just let me turn it off. Just imagine the out cry if they did something like killing the taskbar and having everything run full screen like Metro Apps. Then there's all the Power user stuff like Command Shell, Device Manager, Disk management, etc. And File Explorer for that matter. They have their work cut out for them.

alphanumeric, Jan 2, 2014
  8. Can someone tell if Windows 9 will not be like windows 8?

The problems I see going forward with Windows is this, Microsoft focused a TON on the modern WinRT aspect of Windows 8 but totally disregarded the Desktop for the most part. If they continue to ignore the Desktop, it's not going to fly with anyone.

Thing is, the Desktop UI doesn't really conform to modern UI standards. It seems like they're on a path of literally progressing BACKWARDS with WinRT, which was what I was afraid of. They didn't take much from the Desktop and add it into the modern UI.

Coke Robot, Jan 2, 2014
  9. A right click option to "Save" an image to a predetermined location.
    Not "Save as" with its options.

David Bailey, Jan 3, 2014
  10. davehc Win User
    Tongue in cheek, I would say to the op that it is very difficult to speculate on something as obscure as Windows 9. As far as I am aware, and I would be grateful for anything, however small that would contradict me, there has been no official hint that there is, or will ever be, anything called Windows 9?

davehc, Jan 4, 2014
  11. When Carnarvon asked "Can you see anything?", Carter replied with the famous words: "Yes, wonderful things."[10]*Wink

David Bailey, Jan 4, 2014
  12. Vertpin Win User
    From the news that we heard today, Windows 9 is looking to be Windows 7 but improved. Thank God. Besides Performance, I really hope Microsoft updates the graphics. We're still using Windows Vista graphics.

Vertpin, Jan 11, 2014
  13. Can someone tell if Windows 9 will not be like windows 8?

I heard from a Microsoft insider that it will be a lot like Windows 8.1 but with a version of Aero added. Sort of between Windows 7 Full Aero and Windows 8.1 Flat for the desktop. Some of the Aero look will come to the tiles as well. However, with everything this is just what they are talking about not what may be done or even in betas. -WS

WindowsStar, Jan 11, 2014
  14. Ew.

Coke Robot, Jan 11, 2014
  15. All that's been made known so far is that Windows 9 will be more metro 2.0. What that will be, no one knows.

But interesting as a variant of Aero will make it back since that's been a rumor for a while now.

Coke Robot, Jan 11, 2014
Thema:

Can someone tell if Windows 9 will not be like windows 8?

1. Can someone tell if Windows 9 will not be like windows 8? - Similar Threads - someone tell

2. Can someone tell me what this update is and why I cant click on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone tell me what this update is and why I cant click on it: This update box keeps popping up then disappears only to come back in hourly intervals. as you can see, it is semi transparent and no mouse clicks or keyboard combinations allow me to press the details button before I update what ever it is. Can anyone offer suggestions on...
  3. Can someone tell me what this update is and why I cant click on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone tell me what this update is and why I cant click on it: This update box keeps popping up then disappears only to come back in hourly intervals. as you can see, it is semi transparent and no mouse clicks or keyboard combinations allow me to press the details button before I update what ever it is. Can anyone offer suggestions on...
  4. Can someone tell mw what this update is and why I cant click on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone tell mw what this update is and why I cant click on it: This update box keeps popping up then disappears only to come back in hourly intervals. as you can see, it is semi transparent and now mouse clicks or keyboard combinations allow me to see the details button before I update what ever it is. Can anyone offer suggestions on...
  5. Can someone tell mw what this update is and why I cant click on it

Can someone tell mw what this update is and why I cant click on it: This update box keeps popping up then disappears only to come back in hourly intervals. as you can see, it is semi transparent and now mouse clicks or keyboard combinations allow me to see the details button before I update what ever it is. Can anyone offer suggestions on...
  6. Can someone read this mini dump and tell me how to fix this

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone read this mini dump and tell me how to fix this: I get BSOD DPC Watchdog error every time I try to record gameplay with obs but can't narrow down a cause.Here's the mini dump file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XmIDPz69p2FSX8_2FemNjvRCJ30RgHXN/view?usp=drivesdk...
  7. Can someone read this mini dump and tell me how to fix this

Can someone read this mini dump and tell me how to fix this: I get BSOD DPC Watchdog error every time I try to record gameplay with obs but can't narrow down a cause.Here's the mini dump file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XmIDPz69p2FSX8_2FemNjvRCJ30RgHXN/view?usp=drivesdk...
  8. computer crashing every night -attached dump files can someone tell my why its crashing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer crashing every night -attached dump files can someone tell my why its crashing?: Here is link to a few days worth of dump files and the most recent memory file. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ps2cntf37ajl56kegv430/dump-files.zip?rlkey=hi9ee976r5ezw158r3c7asyt6&dl=0...
  9. computer crashing every night -attached dump files can someone tell my why its crashing?

computer crashing every night -attached dump files can someone tell my why its crashing?: Here is link to a few days worth of dump files and the most recent memory file. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ps2cntf37ajl56kegv430/dump-files.zip?rlkey=hi9ee976r5ezw158r3c7asyt6&dl=0...
  10. "0x133_ISR_nvlddmkm!unknown_function" Can someone please explain this .dmp file and tell me...

"0x133_ISR_nvlddmkm!unknown_function" Can someone please explain this .dmp file and tell me...: ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : true AllowNugetExeUpdate : true NonInteractiveNuget : true AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : true...