Windows 10: Can Someone that understands encryption explain it?

Discus and support Can Someone that understands encryption explain it? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have 2 systems, 1 Windows 10 Pro system, 1 Windows 10 Home system. I want to encrypt a flash drive one EITHER system and open it on EITHER system.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GracieAllen, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Can Someone that understands encryption explain it?

I have 2 systems, 1 Windows 10 Pro system, 1 Windows 10 Home system.
    I want to encrypt a flash drive one EITHER system and open it on EITHER system.

On the Windows 10 Pro system I can open File Explorer, hit "Manage" and Bitlocker is there.
    On the Windows 10 Home system, there's no Bitlocker. BUT, if I encrypt the flash drive on the Pro system I CAN open it on the Home system...
    BUT, everything I've ready says if I want to encrypt a flash drive on the Windows 10 Home system I use something called "Device Encryption". And that I can get to it by opening the Quick Action, going to "Update & Security" and the bottom line of the list one the left will be "Device Encryption"... I've got nothing. Nothing on the Win 10 Home system, nothing on the Win 10 Pro system. I've looked at a half dozen sites and read more than I ever wanted to know about turning it on, and so far NOTHING has turned on "Device encryption" on the Win 10 Home system...

It can't be this difficult, which usually means I'm missing something simple and obvious... Can SOMEBODY tell me how to simply take a flash drive, encrypt whatever's on it using either Home or Pro, and read it on either Home or Pro?

:)

GracieAllen, Jan 14, 2020

2. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 14, 2020
  3. Encryption

Hello Miriam,

For us to be able to isolate your concern why your devices page says it is not encrypted when you've turn on encryption, kindly answer these questions:

• Does this happen before you encrypt the device?
    • Which Windows version currently running on your device?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We will be waiting for update.

Gerald Mal, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Can Someone that understands encryption explain it?

Can't encrypt or password protect folders?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced.
    I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Are you logging-in using Administrator User account?
    • Is this issue specific to any particular folder or persist in all the folders?

Encrypting File System (EFS) is a feature of Windows that you can use to store information on your hard disk in an encrypted format. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure. I suggest you to try
    log-in through other Administrator account and perform the below given steps to encrypt the folder and check if it works:

How to encrypt a file

• Right-click (or tap and hold) a file or folder and select Properties.
    • Select the Advanced... button and select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
    • Select OK to close the Advanced Attributes window, select
      Apply, and then select OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Can Someone that understands encryption explain it?

1. Can Someone that understands encryption explain it? - Similar Threads - Someone understands encryption

2. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone explain this sorting?: Can someone explain this sorting? I have it sorted by name ascending https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-sorting/8dfd3e0c-6389-4942-8939-753f3c0d8587
  3. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can someone explain this sorting?: Can someone explain this sorting? I have it sorted by name ascending https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-sorting/8dfd3e0c-6389-4942-8939-753f3c0d8587
  4. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can someone please explain me this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can someone please explain me this...: I have a Xbox One S Wireless Controller for Windows 10 (Bluetooth + WiFi adapter). The example game is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I have a MSI MEG Z390 Motherboard with a case which has 4x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.1 ports in the back and 2x USB 3.1 ports on the front panel. The...
  6. Can someone explain 08002BE10318

in Windows 10 Support
    Can someone explain 08002BE10318: Why do I see this number on loads of the GUID strings? 08002BE10318 Windows Version 10.0.18363.1256 171224
  7. Can someone explain this to me?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can someone explain this to me?: [ATTACH] Turned on my laptop and got this notification. Is there something I should do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-to-me/8e96668f-8d35-46ef-b971-4e07b2194af5
  8. can someone explain this please

in Windows 10 Customization
    can someone explain this please: I set my folder views to a certain view: details, group by type and sort by date modified. Why is it I can hit the apply to all folders button this view, all my folders look the same, I can literally open and close the folder and it has the same view, I can do this everyday...
  9. Can someone explain databases to me?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone explain databases to me?: I had never heard of these programs until trying to find one that will work with something I just downloaded. What exactly is a database and why do I need one for some programs? Are these databases files on my machine, or do they require Internet connection? If so, where are...
  10. can someone explain this??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can someone explain this??: since forever when I open windows explorer or file explorer and click on network I get a list of computers in my network or a list divided into computers, media devices, etc. Today I get this [img] White-Lightning and Black-Lightning are both computers. Black is the...