Windows 10: Can sorting be turned OFF in File Explorer on Selected Directories?

Discus and support Can sorting be turned OFF in File Explorer on Selected Directories? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Yes, I read the Tutorial and read it again several times. However, what I do not see is how to leave everything alone in a default details view, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MPSAN, Feb 7, 2017.

1. MPSAN Win User

Can sorting be turned OFF in File Explorer on Selected Directories?

Yes, I read the Tutorial and read it again several times. However, what I do not see is how to leave everything alone in a default details view, and select a directory, and its sub directory in Icon view to NOT sort.

My wife has a directory that she is using for shortcuts, etc and is set to medium Icons. No problem, but whenever she changes the name it then moves. She wants to be able to rename it and leave its position unchanged. I just do not see where the Tutorial can do this as it seems to create a default. Am I missing something here?

:)

MPSAN, Feb 7, 2017

2. My files will not sort alpha-numerically in Windows 10

Yes if you go to that link you sent, you'll see I figured out a way to accomplish this in Windows 10 Pro.

1. Run gpedit.msc to open the Local Group Policy Editor

2. Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> File Explorer (not "Windows Explorer") -> Turn off numerical sorting in File Explorer

3. Select "Enabled" and save

Steven Waters, Feb 7, 2017
  3. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Feb 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

As far as I know there's no way to do that.

To meet your requirement, I suggest you consider a 3rd party tool such as sTablauncher (free), recently recommended by Gizmo, and which I've used for years. A tabbed dockable launcher- you can categorise your shortcuts and rename as you will. Shortcuts can be dragged and dropped, the bar can autohide so it's not visible. It is also customisable in appearance.

However, if you have a very large number of shortcuts (e.g. > 50 perhaps), this would not be practicable unless you have a large screen. .

Can sorting be turned OFF in File Explorer on Selected Directories? [​IMG]

Unhiding and launching a shortcut is one click.

Considering explorer, even using File Metadata
    File Metadata - Documentation
    won't work for you if you wanted to sort by metadata, as comments and category are not added for .lnk files. I was thinking you might then be able to sort by the added column, but not for .lnk's, alas.

dalchina, Feb 7, 2017
  5. MPSAN Win User
    Thank You. I had seen stablauncher but my wife has too many items to add. Rocketdock with Stacks Docklet was also suggested and looks good, as it has multiple docks, but it is OLD and there is a lot of discussion regarding it not being able to launch a lot of 64 bit programs. The one thing that seems like it would work well is Winstep Xtreme now in version 17.1. I wonder if that will keep her items in the order she wanted even if she renamed them. It has multiple docks as well.

MPSAN, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can sorting be turned OFF in File Explorer on Selected Directories? - Similar Threads - sorting turned OFF

2. sorting broken in file explorer, if this is a feature we need a registry key to turn it off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sorting broken in file explorer, if this is a feature we need a registry key to turn it off: In powershell 7, 'dir' returns this order this looks great:In Windows 11 file explorer returns when sorting on the 'Name' column:Let's get File Explorer to sort correctly as powershell does....
  3. File explorer - pictures - turn off sorting function so I can arrange photos my way!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer - pictures - turn off sorting function so I can arrange photos my way!: Hi,I've been scanning photos into file explorer so I can put a slide show together for a funeral. I was just expecting to be able to drag and drop the thumbnails into some kind of chronological order but it's not letting me. It appears that File Explorer has enabled a sorting...
  4. File explorer - pictures - turn off sorting function so I can arrange photos my way!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer - pictures - turn off sorting function so I can arrange photos my way!: Hi,I've been scanning photos into file explorer so I can put a slide show together for a funeral. I was just expecting to be able to drag and drop the thumbnails into some kind of chronological order but it's not letting me. It appears that File Explorer has enabled a sorting...
  5. Sort files in selected folders?

Sort files in selected folders?: Hi,I'd like to be able to sort files in highlighted folders so not globally rather than have to go into each folder separately and sort them?Is this possible with windows 10 or is there an App for this ?Example 1 Movie folderFOLDERS sorted by NAMEFILES in folders sorted by...
  6. File Explorer Sorting

File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  7. File explorer sort all folders/directories the same

File explorer sort all folders/directories the same: All i want to do is to sort all directories across windows 10 the same as a directory I have already sorted the way I want all of them to look like. In other words i have manually sorted a directory the way i want all of them across my computer to look like. Seems like I've...
  8. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...
  9. Sort files in selected folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort files in selected folders: Hi, i sort files by opening the folder then right click sort by name(descending) is there a way when i select several folders to sort the files in each folder by name(descending) in one click? 81188
  10. Can I turn off "Recent Files" in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I turn off "Recent Files" in File Explorer?: Every time I open file explorer it displays my recent files. I would like to turn this feature off. If I can't find my own files without recent files, you can have my computer. Why does Windows 10 want to hold our hand on everything? You know those little kids in the...