Windows 10: Can the liquid from a compressed air damage the fan of the heatsink?

Discus and support Can the liquid from a compressed air damage the fan of the heatsink? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey, I was cleaning my PC today with a can of compressed air and I didn't know that I'm not supposed to shake it, and some liquid came out on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BicycleRow, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Can the liquid from a compressed air damage the fan of the heatsink?

Hey,

I was cleaning my PC today with a can of compressed air and I didn't know that I'm not supposed to shake it, and some liquid came out on the CPU fan. It even left a stain on one of the blades of the fan. Did I damage something? Can I somehow remove the stain?

:)

BicycleRow, Feb 17, 2017
  2. Time Lady Win User

What would be the best way to clear out this dust.

Compressed air blower/canister, sprayed into the fan or if you can access the fans by removing a cover use a cotton bud to remove any dust &/or compressed air.

Time Lady, Feb 17, 2017
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Computer fan won't stop running

It may be just a simple case of the fans requiring a clean, check for dust & fluff & use a can of compressed air to clear the fans.

Time Lady, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Winuser Win User

Can the liquid from a compressed air damage the fan of the heatsink?

I've had that happen to me a few times and it didn't cause any problems. It evaporates very quickly.

Winuser, Feb 17, 2017
  5. So far there isn't a problem. I'm gonna try to run some heavy games just to test it.

What about the stain, though? Can I clean it somehow? It's a big one and it kinda bothers me.

BicycleRow, Feb 17, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Plus it's out of non (electrically)conductive liquid, if you're worried about a short or something.
    Best way to clean:
    • Always shut down your PC before cleaning,
    • hit the power switch in the back, or unplug it,
    • push the power button a few to 10 seconds to drain the last bit of electricity from the system,
    • allow the PC to cool totally down, not only because gas is flammable, but it or the CO2 variant are extremely cold and warm to ice cold in an instant can damage components, weld points, or circuitry,
    • touch the PSU with your bare hand to rid your self of any static charge(the PSU is grounded),
    • use an anti-static(ESD) electric component brush to get rid of the heavy dust first,
    • then use the compressed "air"(usually very flammable(that's why you need to touch the PSU and ground yourself) butane, but there is also the more expensive, harder to find, CO2 cans also) to get into the nooks and crannies,
    • then brush and wipe up what's left.

Cliff S, Feb 17, 2017
  7. Beret21 Win User
    As long as the system is not switched on liquid doesnt damage anything ! Use a wet cloth to remove the stain with the system switched off.
    I have washed whole motherboards with everything removed and dried them in sun. It made em brand new shiny and they worked flawless. Though it isnt recommended *Biggrin

Beret21, Feb 17, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip. Biggest thing with the can of compressed air is to keep it upright when using it so the liquid stays in the bottom. Shaking it will increase the pressure some but only until the can itself gets cold and then shaking the can will have minimal effect. And you don't want to shake and spray at the same time. The pressure comes from the evaporation of the gas compressed to a liquid form and that evaporation causes the can to become cold. Shaking the can increases the evaporation rate - which also increases the rate of heat transfer due to the evaporation and makes the can cold quicker. The colder the can (and atmosphere inside the can) becomes, the lower the rate of evaporation becomes and that lowers the pressure inside the can. So you really end up with a trade-off by shaking it. Higher pressure for a shorter period of time. Run the can under hot water to warm it up again.

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2017
  9. Thanks for the replies. The PC has been running for a few hours without problems while playing games, even getting pretty loud. I guess, everything is alright. At least now I know how to use it properly - without shaking and keeping it upright. *Biggrin

BicycleRow, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can the liquid from a compressed air damage the fan of the heatsink? - Similar Threads - liquid compressed air

2. Broken Heatsink Clip

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Broken Heatsink Clip: While cleaning & replacing my CPU & Heatsink, one of the clips on the heatsink holder broke. I looked on Newegg & I can get a new holder set, but how do I make sure I get the right one? Do I search my motherboard name (ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0) / the motherboard CPU socket (AM3+)?...
  3. Testing NVME with and without Heatsink

Testing NVME with and without Heatsink: Hi, I just got my new NVME drive and because of the controversy arout heatsinks being a good thing vs a bad thing, I figured maybe I could try both ways and measure temperatures with and without the heatsink. I'm assuming this is something tech nerds do? What would be a...
  4. Help with heatsink and thermal paste

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with heatsink and thermal paste: I recently noticed my fan was very loud and checked the heatsink the thermal paste needed replacement but I didn’t have any, I cleaned the heatsink but not the cpu and ordered thermal paste it will take 5 days to arrive can I still use my laptop without thermal paste for 5...
  5. A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?: Compressed folders are often shown in blue for user convenience. When Windows explorer copies files and also sub-folders from one compressed folder to another compressed folder, does it decompress the file data ON-THE-FLY, and then re-compress it again towards the...
  6. Why Are Heatsinks Fans Designed To Run Faster Than Others?

Why Are Heatsinks Fans Designed To Run Faster Than Others?: I bought a fan that runs 2400 RPMs. My other fan run at least half of that. What is the purpose for the different speed designs? 131053
  7. windows update 1809 damaging my purchased software with file compression

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows update 1809 damaging my purchased software with file compression: How do I disable Microsoft File compression completely? Since updating to win 10 1809, Microsoft compressed many of my folders without permission or even notification Including windows system itself and the folder Program Data, this resulted in the corruption of my...
  8. Can gaming damage my laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can gaming damage my laptop?: Hi, I just got a new laptop, the HP Pavilion 15 Power (i5 7300HQ, GTX 1050, 8gb ram). Basically it is for my study but I know it can run games quite well. Could gaming on my laptop do any damage? I tried GTA V and it worked really good with most settings on high. The...
  9. Back to Liquid Cooling for CPU

Back to Liquid Cooling for CPU: I had initially installed a Deepcool "Captain 120 EX" liquid cooler on my new built with an i7 6700K CPU. I got concerned about the liquid and removed it and installed a Noctua NH14S with second fan. I need a "quiet" PC as its used as my recording studio system. However, the...
  10. better heatsink

better heatsink: What would people out there on these forums recommend for a better heatsink/cpu fan for a i7 2600k processor. My temps are sometimes spiking too close to the danger level and it cant be the thermal paste as Ive already checked that and its fine. I cant really afford to spend...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does compressed air liquid ruin laptop

2. can compressed air ruin a pc

3. compressed air for heatsink

4. liquid got on pc from compressed air,
  5. is the liquid form of canned air fine for your laptop