Windows 10: Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0?

Discus and support Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Actually, it is only one - you do not have to go through intermediate versions. The only point of a one-key recovery is to reinstate all the vendor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KabyBlue, Apr 4, 2018.

1. KabyBlue Win User

Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0?

Thnx for the heads up. I took your advice and formatted the SSD & did a clean install of Windows 10 ver. 1709 on there. I then deleted the OS partition from the 1TB hdd and left the OEM recovery partitions, in case my friend wants to use it someday.

PC runs much faster now (as expected).

Marking this thread as solved *Smile

KabyBlue, Apr 4, 2018
  2. KabyBlue Win User

A friend of mine had his Lenovo PC serviced and the OS had to be reinstalled. Once he received it, we found out the OS was put on the regular 1TB HDD and the 256GB M.2 SATA SSD left as the "extra storage." *sarc Not surprisingly, he was complaining about speed.

So already have my tools ready for cloning (a.k.a MReflect) but had a question...Can the OEM partitions be left on the regular HDD and only the OS migrated? Or do I have to clone the current 1TB HDD as-is to the 256GB SSD in order to not loose the Lenovo One-Key recovery function?

The only partition I don't believe needs to be cloned is the 25GB [D:] drive as it contains the drivers. So I think that can stay on Disk 1.

Picture below to convey the current setup...

Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0? [​IMG]

:)

KabyBlue, Apr 17, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Clean installing windows 10

A clean install only erases the partition that you'll be using to install Windows. However, Windows 10 will create its own recovery partition - so you can reset or refresh Windows 10 - and that may over-write your OEM recovery partition.

Whether or not your OEM recovery partition will be overwritten depends on how the OEM setup its recovery utility. You can always ask your computer manufacturer whether Windows 10 will overwrite the OEM recovery partition.

This is just a suggestion: If you're not in a big hurry to install Windows 10 (and why would you be?) then you can learn to make a disk image backup. With a disk image, you can quickly return to your old operating system even without the OEM recovery partition.
    In fact, the image solution is even better, because the image is a copy of the way your hard disk is now, while the OEM factory recovery takes you back to the first day you brought the computer home.

BulldogXX, Apr 17, 2018
  4. Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0?

Windows 10 & Too many Recovery partitions

Yes Disk 0 has 5 partitions

Disk 1 has 2 partitions

Disk 0

Keep 1, 3 and 5

Delete 2 and 4

Disk 1

that is quite a huge recovery partition 20GB

Maybe it is your 8 OS (with the out of box recovery)

seahawks65, Apr 17, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    Frankly, I would not bother with the Lenovo one-key recovery. I got rid of mine years ago. That only puts pc back to its initial state which is a waste of time, as you get a new windows build Every six months and eventually old ones are no longer supported.

I would just clean install Windows 10 on sdd (deleting all partitions on ssd) as you do not have much installed yet then delete all but perhaps the D drive (I doubt you even need this).

cereberus, Apr 17, 2018
  6. KabyBlue Win User
    You make a good point about the One-Key recovery because the current Windows 10 version on the PC is build 10240 (ver. 1507)*Huh That's going to be a lot of Windows updates...

KabyBlue, Apr 17, 2018
  7. cereberus Win User
    Actually, it is only one - you do not have to go through intermediate versions. The only point of a one-key recovery is to reinstate all the vendor crapware. If I remember correctly you can make a backup to an external drive if you ever really wanted to go back. IMO, that is just a waste of time - Macrium Reflect can backup things much better, and include programs etc.

cereberus, Apr 18, 2018
Thema:

Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0?

1. Can the OEM Recovery partition be left on Disk 1 and OS on Disk 0? - Similar Threads - OEM Recovery partition

2. How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: This laptop supports 2 drives. I recently added a second drive internal and then just had to perform a clean install of windows 11.For some reason it first tried to install on the secondary drive and now the drives numbers are messed up, ie reversed; so I want to do exactly...
  3. Cannot find OS partitions for disk 1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot find OS partitions for disk 1: Hello,When i'm tring to change MBR to GPT with this command: mbr2gpt /validate /disk:1 /allowFullOSi'm getting the error: Cannot find OS partitions for disk 1CMD:https://i.imgur.com/5loje8y.pngsetuperr.log:https://i.imgur.com/uwxEzxT.pngDisk...
  4. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1: I want to update my windows to windows 11 from windows 10. To do this I need to use the mbr2gpt tool, but I have an error because my c drive is on an ssd drive 1 and my system reserved partition boot files is on the hdd which is on drive 0 . I tried to use bcdboot to move the...
  5. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1: I want to update my windows to windows 11 from windows 10. To do this I need to use the mbr2gpt tool, but I have an error because my c drive is on an ssd drive 1 and my system reserved partition boot files is on the hdd which is on drive 0 . I tried to use bcdboot to move the...
  6. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

7. Can I merge Disk 0 and Disk 1?

Can I merge Disk 0 and Disk 1?: I see in disk management that I have 2 disks and 1 is mush larger than the other and has unallocated space:Is there a way to merge disk 0 and disk 1? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-merge-disk-0-and-disk-1/84a8b519-a80e-4c4a-8b6d-c2bd6ab7ca30
  8. Can I merge Disk 0 and Disk 1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I merge Disk 0 and Disk 1?: I see in disk management that I have 2 disks and 1 is mush larger than the other and has unallocated space:Is there a way to merge disk 0 and disk 1? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-merge-disk-0-and-disk-1/84a8b519-a80e-4c4a-8b6d-c2bd6ab7ca30
  9. Disk Management as Disk 0 and Disk 1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management as Disk 0 and Disk 1: My computer contained an OS Boot C SSD and a regular OEM HDD hard drive. I recently updated my 256GB OEM SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe - M2. After cloning my old OEN SSD using Samsung Data Migration Tool to the new disk, and replacing the old one with the new...
  10. switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

in Windows 10 Customization
    switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: Hi, My computer contained a normal HDD hard drive. I recently upgraded to a SSD. The original HDD is Disk 0 and the new SSD is Disk 1. The windows OS is on Disk 1. I want to dual boot my system with Windows and Ubuntu with both OS being on the SSD. Since the SSD is Disk 1 the...