Windows 10: Can the removed HDD be used as an external boot drive?

Discus and support Can the removed HDD be used as an external boot drive? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Please tell me how to start up by attaching the HDD removed from the notebook PC as it is with a SATA / USB conversion cable. The USB device is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Teddy0522, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Teddy0522 Win User

Can the removed HDD be used as an external boot drive?

Please tell me how to start up by attaching the HDD removed from the notebook PC as it is with a SATA / USB conversion cable.
    The USB device is not displayed on the F12 BOOT selection screen.
    When windows boot from the internal drive, it will be recognized as an external drive.
    The purpose is to temporarily reproduce the past condition.
    Thank you.

:)

Teddy0522, Oct 31, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Laptop won't boot with new external hard drive attached.

The problem is probably in your BIOS . . .

• Plug in the external HDD
    • Boot into BIOS
    • Make sure the external drive is not above your internal HDD in the boot order list
    • Enable or disable USB Legacy Boot, whichever setting allows your system to boot with the external HDD plugged in . . .

DaveM121, Oct 31, 2020
  3. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Oct 31, 2020
  4. Can the removed HDD be used as an external boot drive?

Boot from external USB HDD

Hello!

Any laptop should be able to Be booted from an external HDD.

You can check this back accessing your BIOS and then checking if the BIOS gives you an option to boot from USB.

If that option is listed, then you're good to go!

Zackary Vanosdol, Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

Can the removed HDD be used as an external boot drive?

1. Can the removed HDD be used as an external boot drive? - Similar Threads - removed HDD used

2. Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use old HDD from old laptop as an external drive?: Hey there, this is my first time writing/asking here, so any response would be appreciated :So I have an old laptop of mine, an Asus A42J with 4GB of ram and 150GB of HDD. My plan is upgrading the HDD to an SSD, but I don't really want to backup anything from my HDD because...
  3. Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive: Hello, recently I made some significant hardware changes to my PC. I changed the Processor, motherboard, and graphics card. During the change I wanted to refresh my various storage drives to get a clean install of windows with anything on my drives I wiped all my previous...
  4. Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive

Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive: Hello, recently I made some significant hardware changes to my PC. I changed the Processor, motherboard, and graphics card. During the change I wanted to refresh my various storage drives to get a clean install of windows with anything on my drives I wiped all my previous...
  5. Removing Windows 10 on my HDD and using an NVME as a boot Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. external HDD will not boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external HDD will not boot: I have 3- Seagate 8TB external HDD. I was the Windows disk cleaning to recover space. deleting temp files, unused files, etc. I have used this tool before and it is pretty straight forward. the disk cleaning finished I turned the computer off as I normally do. the next day...
  7. Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?

Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?: I keep all important data on external HDD and periodically wish to synchronize this dats with another external HDD. Is this at all possible especially because drive letters themselves change depending on the PC/laptop that you attach them to and the order in which you attach...
  8. Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?: I keep all important data on external HDD and periodically wish to synchronize this dats with another external HDD. Is this at all possible especially because drive letters themselves change depending on the PC/laptop that you attach them to and the order in which you attach...
  9. Cannot safely remove external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external HDD: I am trying to remove my WD Passport, I am using Windows 10, but also fairly new to it. I am trying to eject it by using the option on the task bar, but get the error message: 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or Windows that might be using the device and...
  10. One drive on external hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    One drive on external hdd: My new computer has a tiny internal hdd so I want to put my one drive on my external hdd. How do I do that? By the way I just ordered the new computer so I do not have it yet. 89186