Windows 10: can the translation into German of directory names in Windows 10 be switched off?

Discus and support can the translation into German of directory names in Windows 10 be switched off? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When searching for the folder for applications that are processed when a user logs in, I searched for the AppData folder using the Explorer search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by guenterhalt, Jun 5, 2020.

1. can the translation into German of directory names in Windows 10 be switched off?

When searching for the folder for applications that are processed when a user logs in, I searched for the AppData folder using the Explorer search function. W10 also finds some and shows as name a.o.
    C:\User\<my login name>\... as name.
    But under C:\ there is no "Users" folder but there is "Users" and in this folder there is actually the folder you are looking for.
    In other words, Microsoft has translated the English term "Users" into German, so that "Users" will appear in the search results and will be rendered unusable.

Can this technical nonsense be switched off?
    Are there other translations?

:)

guenterhalt, Jun 5, 2020

2. Why is the German Windows translation so bad?

Starting with Windows 10, the German translation got really bad.

There is a
    Style Guide
    (from 2014) mentioning several rules on 102 pages.

• Why are these rules not followed in Windows 10?
    • Are there enough competent translators?
    • Is there a dedicated QA team for the translations?
    • Why is this style guide 2.5 years old? There must have been some possible improvements to it during that time.
    Examples for bad translations:

• Generally the "Sie" salutation is used, but in several places "Du". Press Windows, A, Backspace to see an example.
    • In Windows Defender, the sentence "Update definitions" meaning "Update the definitions" is translated as "Updatedefinitionen", which means "The update definitions". (There are several more of this kind.)
    • In Windows Defender, the long text in the Update tab mentions an "Aktualisieren" button, but that button is labelled "Updatedefinitionen", making it double-wrong.

RolandIllig, Jun 5, 2020
  3. Bing translator with windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time. Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

Let me keep you informed, to translate any text through Bing translator in Internet Explorer, you just have to follow two simple steps as follows:

• Select the text you want to translate.

• Right click on the selected text and select the option translate with Bing.

As of now the option to set Bing Translator to the Edge is not available.

I suggest you to use the feedback app in the insider and send your thoughts directly to the team building Windows.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jun 5, 2020
  4. Jessen P Win User

can the translation into German of directory names in Windows 10 be switched off?

Live mail and Picture manager comes in german after Windows 10 upgrade

Hi Hank,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

• Do you have German language pack installed on the computer?
    • From which operating system did you upgrade to Windows 10?

If you have German language pack installed then I would suggest you to switch to English language pack and then check if it works.

Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, Jun 5, 2020
Thema:

can the translation into German of directory names in Windows 10 be switched off?

1. can the translation into German of directory names in Windows 10 be switched off? - Similar Threads - translation German directory

2. Switch from German to Swedish windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch from German to Swedish windows 10: How I do it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-from-german-to-swedish-windows-10/1beab6ea-9aee-4858-af98-4f15654fa9e3
  3. Switch from German to Swedish windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch from German to Swedish windows 10: How I do it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-from-german-to-swedish-windows-10/1beab6ea-9aee-4858-af98-4f15654fa9e3
  4. Switch from German to Swedish windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. German-English translator

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    German-English translator: I am learning German language for higher studies. Whenever I study German, I find many words difficult to understand. Isn't there any german-english translator available in the store? It would be very helpful for me....
  6. German-English translator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    German-English translator: I am learning German language for higher studies. Whenever I study German, I find many words difficult to understand. Isn't there any german-english translator available in the store? It would be very helpful for me....
  7. German-English translator

8. Edge displays pages in German and translates them to English

Edge displays pages in German and translates them to English: Wikipedia and Bing display pages in German and then translate into English. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-displays-pages-in-german-and-translates-them/027b805d-08ec-476b-bf87-09aeaf0000ad
  9. Incorrect German translation in dfrgui.exe Drive Optimization/Defrag tool

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect German translation in dfrgui.exe Drive Optimization/Defrag tool: There is an incorrect Translation in the defrag tool dfrgui.exe using German as language. This also affects older Windows Versions. The English text is for example: "Pass 3: 75% fragmentation." In German language settings it says: "Erfolgreich 3: 75% fragmentation", but...
  10. Can Not Delete Directory ("The directory name is invalid")

in Windows 10 Support
    Can Not Delete Directory ("The directory name is invalid"): I have a WD My Passport USB drive, which I use with my WD TV Live Plus media player. As best I can determine, the media player has corrupted some of the file entries on the drive. It appears to have somehow changed the NTFS MFT data such that these files are instead being...