Windows 10: Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive?

Discus and support Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a 1TB ssd and a 500gb ssd. I want to span both to make a 1.5TB partition. Will this work if the 1TB drive is my boot drive with Windows 10 on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mike0057, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive?

I have a 1TB ssd and a 500gb ssd. I want to span both to make a 1.5TB partition. Will this work if the 1TB drive is my boot drive with Windows 10 on it?

submitted by /u/Mike0057
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mike0057, Oct 29, 2019

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Oct 30, 2019
  3. PVR_235 Win User
    how to change Dynamic drive to primary drive !!

Hi All,

Hope you are doing well !!

i want to convert Dynamic drive to Primary drive without losing data.

currently i have 4 drives (See below screenshot), i have one empty drive called windows servers 2012. so i would want to install windows server 2012 on that drive. when i was trying to install windows server 2012, all drives are showing Dynamic drives
    and i am unable to install OS on dynamic drives.

Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive? f3394ed9-af84-4808-8c27-a896a8cca748.png

Thank you in advance.

Moved From:

PVR_235, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive?

little cat, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive?

1. Can the Windows boot drive become a dynamic drive? - Similar Threads - boot drive become

2. SOLVED Reformating a Dynamic drive containing boot files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SOLVED Reformating a Dynamic drive containing boot files: Trying to reformat a Dynamic volume containing windows boot files into a Primary empty volume. Old HDD containing windows 8.1 that I wanted to repurpose into a storage disk. Sleep deprived I somehow managed to turn it from Primary to Dynamic and have been struggling to...
  3. SOLVED Reformating a Dynamic drive containing boot files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SOLVED Reformating a Dynamic drive containing boot files: Trying to reformat a Dynamic volume containing windows boot files into a Primary empty volume. Old HDD containing windows 8.1 that I wanted to repurpose into a storage disk. Sleep deprived I somehow managed to turn it from Primary to Dynamic and have been struggling to...
  4. Reformating a Dynamic drive containing boot files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reformating a Dynamic drive containing boot files: Trying to reformat a Dynamic volume containing windows boot files into a Primary empty volume. Old HDD containing windows 8.1 that I wanted to repurpose into a storage disk. Sleep deprived I somehow managed to turn it from Primary to Dynamic and have been struggling to...
  5. Reformating a Dynamic drive containing boot files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reformating a Dynamic drive containing boot files: Trying to reformat a Dynamic volume containing windows boot files into a Primary empty volume. Old HDD containing windows 8.1 that I wanted to repurpose into a storage disk. Sleep deprived I somehow managed to turn it from Primary to Dynamic and have been struggling to...
  6. Reformating a Dynamic drive containing boot files

7. Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive?

Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive?: So the thing is that I have a C drive which is a system boot drive and is an SSD. The HDD I have is used for everything else. Also, I regularly create backups in the D drive in the HDD. Now I thought that I should separate out space for backups and move the empty space along...
  8. Converting main boot drive from a dynamic drive to a basic drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Converting main boot drive from a dynamic drive to a basic drive: I accidentally converted my main drive to a dynamic drive. Everything i have read says to just delete it and reformat the drive, but i cant do this as i have all my data and the operating system on this drive. I have tried software which claims to be able to convert Dynamic...
  9. Problem With Restore of Dynamic Disk Data, Not the Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problem With Restore of Dynamic Disk Data, Not the Boot Drive: This is also posted on Windows Seven Forums. The question is whether or not at this point I would be better off trying to restore data to a fresh install of Windows 10. Please read description below of what happened 64 bit OS Windows 7 ASUS MBAMD Processor 16 Gig of RAM1 SSD...
  10. Can the System Drive be a Dynamic disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can the System Drive be a Dynamic disc: Can the System Drive be a Dynamic disc and if so what are the issues? I have a 500G System drive and another 250G drive both SSDs. I would like to shrink the system drive to 250G and combine the remaining 250G partition with the other 250G drive in a 500G stripe set....